Why my photos blur?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdfasdfadsf

Apr 9, 2003
sg, UK, FL
Visit site
Hihi
Took these pix and they are blured.. But not the normal blur i got from my 7i or 5700, its like 'soft blur'... donno how to explain.

Can anyone tell me what causes it to blur this way? Or does this camera always blur this way becos of CMOS? Increasing the shuttlespeed helps izzit?

Thks

Pure Original:
sashiblur.jpg

after a little bit of modification:
sashiblura.jpg

increase shutterspeed yes to prevent as little camera shake, what iso you shooting btw ?

forgot to mention.
Its taken in a relatively dark room and used the builtin flash. I still used iso100

Humm, actually i was motivated by nivleck28's bokeh effect.
So trying around to see if i can get the same effect.

Can anyone giv me some tips abt creating good bokehs?

I using Tamron 28-200 XR lens and Canon EF 18-55

the second pic is noticeably sharper, apparently the low light is causing ur shutter speed to slow down too much for handheld photography. You will also notice that while the eyes are fairly sharp, the snout of the dog is actually softer, this is due to several factors: your focal length, focusing distance and aperture. This shallow depth of field is magnified if you use a long focal length (zoom all the way), if you are very near the subject(short focausing distance), and large aperture (due to low light)

dark room, try using iso 800, with and without flash and see the diff.

NashVillian said:
...... You will also notice that while the eyes are fairly sharp, the snout of the dog is actually softer, this is due to several factors: your focal length, focusing distance and aperture. This shallow depth of field is magnified if you use a long focal length (zoom all the way), if you are very near the subject(short focausing distance), and large aperture (due to low light)

Bingo!
i got all the above desciptions. But i was trying to create a nice bokeh... or is this the wrong method? Pls advice on how to get a nice bokeh.

Also, why is this camera's blur different from other camera's blur?

thks

asdf. for your information, your photo is at least 3 stops underexposed, judging from the histogram chart.

your first shot was shot at 200mm, 1/4 second, f/5.6. and iso100. the combination of all that, indoors, is pretty obvious why the exposure is so low contrast.

your so called "soft blur" is because the Depth of Field is shallower at a longer focal length, of which you are using at 200mm.

If u like the setting, keep the aperture and shutter speed, increase the iso setting. ISO 800 still acceptable for 300D...

hope it helps

nickmak said:
If u like the setting, keep the aperture and shutter speed, increase the iso setting. ISO 800 still acceptable for 300D...

hope it helps

Yeah, i got a nightmare with high iso in 5050 and 7i, so didnt wanted to use higher iso nowadays... perhaps i shd try it since this model got a lower noise. Thks.

For this chihuahua's case, is it possible for me to have a clear pix of her whole face, yet having a nice bokeh?

asdf, yes it is possible. use flash (direct or bounce, doesn't matter much), iso800, 1/30s, f/2.8 if you have it. WILL be better than your current underexposure.

nickmak said:

hope it helps

Just tried increasing my iso and got my model into work
Seems that increasing the iso got noticable more noice, but at not that underexposed. The exposure time is still quite long, so still blured. Gotta try it again this weekend during the day.

Cheers

sashi170504.jpg

1/10s f/5.6 at 200.0mm iso800 with Flash

asdfasdfadsf said:
Just tried increasing my iso and got my model into work
Seems that increasing the iso got noticable more noice, but at not that underexposed. The exposure time is still quite long, so still blured. Gotta try it again this weekend during the day.

Cheers

sashi170504.jpg

1/10s f/5.6 at 200.0mm iso800 with Flash
You could try using a tripod to compensate for the low shutter speed. That should work unless your dog is very active. The tripod will reduce camera shake.

asdfasdfadsf said:
Bingo!
i got all the above desciptions. But i was trying to create a nice bokeh... or is this the wrong method? Pls advice on how to get a nice bokeh.

Also, why is this camera's blur different from other camera's blur?

thks

Good bokeh is a intrinsic function of the lens you use, depending on factors such as number of optical elements and number of aperture blades in the lens as well as the shape of the aperture. Typically lenses with excellent bokeh are used extensively for portrait photography so that out of focussed highlights are a creamy blur and don't distract from the main subject. You can't create good bokeh; its a function of the lens.

You can however, create blur or out of focus background. Use a longer focal length, and use a bigger aperture. The softness in your picture (as others have already pointed out), is due to the fact that you are handholding a 200mm lens at 1/4 s. Rule of thumb to eliminate handshake is 1/focal length, here to get a sharp picture you should ideally be at 1/250, and instead of that, you are 6 stops under at 1/4. no wonder the image is soft. Also, you are using your 28-200 at the maximum focal length wide open at f5.6. NOT a recipe for sharp pictures. Consumer zooms (like the 28-200), can be sharp, but only if you stay away from the extreme focal lengths (no using 28 or 200), and only if you stop down 1-2 stops from the max aperture while shooting (which you are also not doing).

justarius said:
Good bokeh is a intrinsic function of the lens you use, depending on factors such as number of optical elements and number of aperture blades in the lens as well as the shape of the aperture. Typically lenses with excellent bokeh are used extensively for portrait photography so that out of focussed highlights are a creamy blur and don't distract from the main subject. You can't create good bokeh; its a function of the lens.

You can however, create blur or out of focus background. Use a longer focal length, and use a bigger aperture. The softness in your picture (as others have already pointed out), is due to the fact that you are handholding a 200mm lens at 1/4 s. Rule of thumb to eliminate handshake is 1/focal length, here to get a sharp picture you should ideally be at 1/250, and instead of that, you are 6 stops under at 1/4. no wonder the image is soft. Also, you are using your 28-200 at the maximum focal length wide open at f5.6. NOT a recipe for sharp pictures. Consumer zooms (like the 28-200), can be sharp, but only if you stay away from the extreme focal lengths (no using 28 or 200), and only if you stop down 1-2 stops from the max aperture while shooting (which you are also not doing).

humm.. thks, your words let me mou se dun kai :)

asdfasdfadsf said:
humm.. thks, your words let me mou se dun kai :)

no problem. :D just know the limits of your equipment and work around them, and your pictures will turn out fine.

ps cute doggie by the way :bsmilie:

sashi18050044.jpg

1/160s f/5.0 at 80.0mm iso100

Yoz, took a sample again today with cloudy outdoor lighting. Used 80mm, but still near the limit of the apeture. I know i shd had posted the original so can disciss abt what causes what fault, etc, but i accidentally overwrite the original :(
Anyway, they are all underexposed although i set the EV to neutral. Is this common of 300d?

Also, the background blur seems to be quite noisy even at 100iso, is it natural too? or cos of my jpeg compression? Or just the intrinsic characteristic of the tamron 28-200XR? This pix i posted has already been cleared of the noise, sorry.

asdfasdfadsf said:
sashi18050044.jpg

1/160s f/5.0 at 80.0mm iso100

Yoz, took a sample again today with cloudy outdoor lighting. Used 80mm, but still near the limit of the apeture. I know i shd had posted the original so can disciss abt what causes what fault, etc, but i accidentally overwrite the original :(
Anyway, they are all underexposed although i set the EV to neutral. Is this common of 300d?

Also, the background blur seems to be quite noisy even at 100iso, is it natural too? or cos of my jpeg compression? Or just the intrinsic characteristic of the tamron 28-200XR? This pix i posted has already been cleared of the noise, sorry.
i can say i had this 28-200XR lens too... It is alrite until you look at what another lens can do... It the lens characteristics that makes this lens not too good. THis lens allows a huge zoom range and this means that there are some compromises and sharpness and bokeh is probably part of this compromise... Its not your camera's compression and ISO setting... Its the lens... An advice is to set your EV to +1/3, as i believe the 300D underexposes a little...

Hope this helps..

you can use a faster iso for indoors please~ for 300d, the noise levels of a dslr are more acceptable than digicams

iso400 or 800 is usable,

if you really want fine detail iso 100, bring your dog out with the sun as your lightsource.

Status
Not open for further replies.