Why my DLSR camera image taken is not as good compare to a digital Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweeshiwei

Dec 14, 2008
Hi All,

I am facing some problem when taking the photos.
it seem like the photo taken by dslr is not as good compare to my digital camera.

is there any wrong setting to my dslr?
[ my camera is Canon 400D IS 18~55mm ]

and i find that the IS from the lens does not have much of the effect when compare normal digital camera.

need some advise and feedback.

maybe u are not used to holding a dslr? practice makes perfect

Last edited:
should be a DoF and focus point issue.

Hi All,

I am facing some problem when taking the photos.
it seem like the photo taken by dslr is not as good compare to my digital camera.

is there any wrong setting to my dslr?
[ my camera is Canon 400D IS 18~55mm ]

and i find that the IS from the lens does not have much of the effect when compare normal digital camera.

need some advise and feedback.

The the camera manual. Seems like from the question (being too generic and never specific) and taking camera body + lense as the "Setting" and also not specifying the subject indicates that you really do not know how to use DSLR. If you are stuck, then go for Scene mode or P mode and play with that first. Your camera might be at MF (manual focus) without you knowing it or at M mode (manual mode where you have to set apperture and speed yourself - which require quite advance skill)

IS is not some godlike invention which turns your hands into a tripod. it's there to assist you in difficult light condition without abusing the feature.

what you need is basic camera controls and hand holding techniques. manual may be the right way to go.

IS is not some godlike invention which turns your hands into a tripod. it's there to assist you in difficult light condition without abusing the feature.

what you need is basic camera controls and hand holding techniques. manual may be the right way to go.

Manual? I do not think the thread starter is ready for that. After almost 3 years I am not that confident with my M mode skill myself, still at the comfort (or complacency) of A mode.

A little photo goes a long way... Post some photos and we can better assist you.

tell us which 2 cams are used, i think d-preview is a good place to look at comparison. :)

I highly suspect TS is not pixel peeping ^^

I think I understand how the TS feel... I have been using my Panasonic FZ50 (full-dslr handling with a Leica 35~420mm zoom). I must say beside the "noise issue" at high ISO, the "Out of Camera" images are often better than my current dslr using lens of similar zoom range... :think:

One of the Pros of my FZ50 is that you can accurate metering straight from the EVF, and the image is sharp... :thumbsup:

NPNT3.jpg

No pic no talk...sorry couldnt resist!

but on a more serious note, we really do need to see a couple of comparison photos to help you out and solve/address your issues that you may encounter.

I think I understand how the TS feel... I have been using my Panasonic FZ50 (full-dslr handling with a Leica 35~420mm zoom). I must say beside the "noise issue" at high ISO, the "Out of Camera" images are often better than my current dslr using lens of similar zoom range... :think:

One of the Pros of my FZ50 is that you can accurate metering straight from the EVF, and the image is sharp... :thumbsup:

Well I think a sharp image is subjective. I came from an FZ18 to a 350D (I see you're on a 450D), so I suppose my situation is very much like yours. FZ18 is very similarly spec'ed to your FZ50 with a longer zoom, same sensors, both leica lens.

I think where the DSLR wins is the ability to resolve due to sensor size. if you view your images 800 x 600, really may seem to match a DSLR with normal lens. But so far, I have not seen a single PNS with a decent 100% crop... the max I'll ever go is 66%

My friends using PNS always send me pictures to touch up, and so far, I've always been happy to upgrade to DSLR. I've seen a fair share of models/brand's outputs, and yea, no way PNS will beat DSLR. =) As long as you're not using lousy lenses (like the old kit).

Of course, with a dSLR, you definitely have less noise, faster lenses, and depth of field... which well, is another league all together but it might go OT from this thread so I'll skip it.

Well I think a sharp image is subjective. I came from an FZ18 to a 350D (I see you're on a 450D), so I suppose my situation is very much like yours. FZ18 is very similarly spec'ed to your FZ50 with a longer zoom, same sensors, both leica lens.

I think where the DSLR wins is the ability to resolve due to sensor size. if you view your images 800 x 600, really may seem to match a DSLR with normal lens. But so far, I have not seen a single PNS with a decent 100% crop... the max I'll ever go is 66%

My friends using PNS always send me pictures to touch up, and so far, I've always been happy to upgrade to DSLR. I've seen a fair share of models/brand's outputs, and yea, no way PNS will beat DSLR. =) As long as you're not using lousy lenses (like the old kit).

Of course, with a dSLR, you definitely have less noise, faster lenses, and depth of field... which well, is another league all together but it might go OT from this thread so I'll skip it.

A bit of correction, even though the FZ50 & FZ18 uses the same image-processing engine (Venus Engine III), but they don't share the same sensor size & lens (brand same, spec diff).:nono: And the handling of the two camera are very much difference (one offer full-manual dslr control & handing while the other is lacks some) ... :think:

Like I mention earlier a typical dslr win compared to a non-dslr in it's sensor size ( Better ISO, DoF ). While the latter excel in other control, often you have to perform a few test shots (correction of WB, Exposure, etc) before making your first "usable" photo. While a non-dslr (FZ50) adjustment can be view before the first shot is fired... :)

For me, having a dslr does not make a person a better photographer. If a person is skilled with his PnS, his shots can be better than a dslr user... :cool:

lol you are scaring him away from his thread

probably user problem :confused:

lol you are scaring him away from his thread

agree with you. Perhaps he has solved his problem-He can take good pictures now..Congratulation , sweeshiwei,if you really solve your problem and please do not be scared by the way we response to your thread. We are a group of people who really want to help each other in our unique way.:)

keep shooting, brother.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.