Why like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bent

Dec 23, 2004
i was very disappointed when the skies came out like this even though it was supposed to blue sky.

That day was bright, and i was wondering what casued the sky to be so over exposed?

and how to correct that?

thanks in advance..

IMHO, if you want the blue sky, do not take photos when the sun is on the top of your head. Take photos in morning or afternoon.

Use Cir-Pol for blue sky. Put the sun behind you.

Regards,
Arto.

The photos were exposed for the scene, not for the sky... If you had exposed for the sky the scene would be under exposed. Some will advise you to use some filter that are darker on top... (Sorry, I forgot what they call it...) What I do is that I normally take two photos, one exposed for the sky and one for the scene and then merge them later... Hope this helps.

how do you expose for they sky? focus on the sky instead?

hmm, that is provided ur on tripod right...
if no tripod, the pics wont turn out exactly same

Zaknafein said:
sorry, i don't understand?

Zaknafein said:

as in, if the pics 2 pics are nto exactly same, how to merge? some parts might be slightly different

Zaknafein said:
yes, use spot/center metering, and point at the sky first, then AE lock
lets say theres people in the foreground, then if i focus on the sky, wouldn't the people be out of focus?

SnapSnap said:
What I do is that I normally take two photos, one exposed for the sky and one for the scene and then merge them later... Hope this helps.
merge in photoshop right?

sorry, i never merge b4 so i don't know how...

bent said:
merge in photoshop right?

sorry, i never merge b4 so i don't know how...
Yes that is what I meant... If you think that is too difficult, then you may want to consider using a gradual ND filter...:)

SnapSnap said:
The photos were exposed for the scene, not for the sky... If you had exposed for the sky the scene would be under exposed. Some will advise you to use some filter that are darker on top... (Sorry, I forgot what they call it...) What I do is that I normally take two photos, one exposed for the sky and one for the scene and then merge them later... Hope this helps.

The filter you are thinking of is a Graduated Neutral Density filter. Grad ND for short.

bent said:
lets say theres people in the foreground, then if i focus on the sky, wouldn't the people be out of focus?
yes it would be out of focus if ur AE-lock button is also ur AF-lock/Shutter-release button.
tat is to say, if u have to AE lock by aiming to the sky, half press shutter and hold, re-compose. then yes, u would not be focusing on the sky. if ur camera does not have different buttons for AF-lock and AE-lock, sorry, i cannot think of a way to help u at the moment.... ill post if i think of a solution. :)

sorry

actually, i tihnk if u are taking sunset, most probably the human would be seen as silhouette. wouldn't be able to see whether they are focused.

but if u really want it to be focus... then i think if u set a very small aperture, and focus at a subject distance IN-BETWEEN the background and human, then AE + AF lock, u might get both focused....
anyone got other solutions?

you can meter the sky, meter the midtones of the surrounding then come to an average.
it does help if you use a graduated ND as suggested earlier.

Zaknafein said:
actually, i tihnk if u are taking sunset, most probably the human would be seen as silhouette. wouldn't be able to see whether they are focused.

but if u really want it to be focus... then i think if u set a very small aperture, and focus at a subject distance IN-BETWEEN the background and human, then AE + AF lock, u might get both focused....
anyone got other solutions?
Actually, taking sunset will be easier... just do a fill in flash lor... :)

Zaknafein said:
flash does not help to focus on the humans lol

the flash lights does have a focus assist light.

bent said:
ahhh! i've just thought of a solution.
does ur camera have an adjustable focus point? as in u can move the point of focus to, lets say, the bottom left of the screen?
if it does, move the focus point to the human in the foreground. however, the the metering will still be at the CENTER of the frame, so u can meter the sky while still focusing else where. do u get what i mean? :think:

GmbH. said:
the flash lights does have a focus assist light.
well, flash and focus assist light is 2 diff things.
and even if u on ur focus assist light, subject A will still not be focused if u AF lock on subject B

Status
Not open for further replies.