why like that one

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
not sure if u guys remember recently there was a thread about a newbie felt offended when a stranger gave him advice that his external flash may not be strong enough during his shoot.

2 weeks back, while shooting in night scene near the jetty near the esplanade outdoor theater, a group of graduates was shooting their grad. shots. the photog (one of them) had a dslr and a zoom lens (looking at it, doesnt looks like a fast lens) mounted on a tripod. from what i can see, the composition was merlion / fullerton hotel as background. he was doing long exposure (from the sound, i reckon its about 2sec exposure) and not popping flash.

some of the group ask him to pop flash but he say it dont look nice and he told the group to hold dead still. those familiar with the lighting condition there at night will know sitting subject along the bench at the edge (not the benches) is very very dim.

i walk over and suggested him to pop flash, his reply is something like "wait the flash hit the background not nice." so i let him be lor. after that he did try pop flash for 1 or 2 shots, but again with long exposure (judging from the sound).

after shooting, he asked his friends to see the lcd and insisted those shot without flash are better.

:confused::confused:

If that photog is fellow cser reading this thread, may i suggest u stop volunteering to shot for such important occasion (i understand grad gown are rented) or any other important occasion like ROM etc. understand the basic of photography before u go shoot ok?

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong or strange in your situation, i believe the guy did take your advice and tried both ways and showed friends to seek preference. Maybe you are too sensitive? :bsmilie:

Maybe its his style?? I would have used the flash to try to 'stop' the subjects from moving.

And flash hitting the back ground?? wow powerful flash that one......

not sure if u guys remember recently there was a thread about a newbie felt offended when a stranger gave him advice that his external flash may not be strong enough during his shoot.

2 weeks back, while shooting in night scene near the jetty near the esplanade outdoor theater, a group of graduates was shooting their grad. shots. the photog (one of them) had a dslr and a zoom lens (looking at it, doesnt looks like a fast lens) mounted on a tripod. from what i can see, the composition was merlion / fullerton hotel as background. he was doing long exposure (from the sound, i reckon its about 2sec exposure) and not popping flash.

some of the group ask him to pop flash but he say it dont look nice and he told the group to hold dead still. those familiar with the lighting condition there at night will know sitting subject along the bench at the edge (not the benches) is very very dim.

i walk over and suggested him to pop flash, his reply is something like "wait the flash hit the background not nice." so i let him be lor. after that he did try pop flash for 1 or 2 shots, but again with long exposure (judging from the sound).

after shooting, he asked his friends to see the lcd and insisted those shot without flash are better.

:confused::confused:

They have not learnt about slow sync flash techniques yet. That's why...

In their minds, it's either full powered flash or none at all... there is no in between for them yet.

er... asking a group hold still for 2sec exposure? i dont think i can get sharp photos that can print 8r size lor.

I don't see anything wrong or strange in your situation, i believe the guy did take your advice and tried both ways and showed friends to seek preference. Maybe you are too sensitive? :bsmilie:

i dont think he was seeking his friends' preference as he was starting to keep the gear to move to next location lor.

Haha... well predict the rapport and support that he will get from his colleagues when he step into the workforce...

Some people just refuse to accept constructive comments and try out different things. I hope majority of the grads are not like him... else.. cannot imagine the future workforce

Haha... well predict the rapport and support that he will get from his colleagues when he step into the workforce...

Some people just refuse to accept constructive comments and try out different things. I hope majority of the grads are not like him... else.. cannot imagine the future workforce

frankly speaking, i became more open minded after joining this forum... after seeing all the posts ...

u r right, we should learn to accept criticism from others and not be petty...

i wasnt sure should i give him suggestion cause what if he react like the fellow cser of the earlier thread? i didnt pull him aside to talk to him since before me, his friend already suggested him to pop flash.

i wasnt sure should i give him suggestion cause what if he react like the fellow cser of the earlier thread? i didnt pull him aside to talk to him since before me, his friend already suggested him to pop flash.

haha bro, it sounds like when my frens using pns, with flash nt so nice, without flash nicer.. :D

this reminds me of a even earlier situation i had, a group of stranger asked me to take their group shot at esplanade roof top at night, background is fullerton hotel & cbd, with olympus pen (one of those without pop flash), no tripod (not that it matters, to me at least).

i told the group i dont know how to shot it, unless they can accept :

1) people black, background correctly exposed.
2) super noisy picture of the group at max iso with background over-exposed.

told them i was unable to shot in the end.:sweat::sweat:

i have seen many of my friends' pics on their camera - many of them blur esp those taken at night. however they still post it on facebook and receive many "like"s.

different strokes for different folks.

yup, like i dont like "lomo effect" while there are those who love it.;)

bro i know your intentions are good and you have offered good advice...but if they are happy with their style nothing much we can do.

Honestly, i am wondering the purpose of this thread. I don't see the need to bring up the example of the recent "snubbing of advice" by another photog. I believe it's to each his/her own, no right or wrong in accepting/listening to advice, or trying by trial and error to learn.

If this thread leads to nowhere and no purpose, a mod will close it soon. :sweatsm:

Your sentence: Why like that one?
My sentence: Let it be loh. :bsmilie:

Bro, everyone had their preference of shooting style. It is up to them to explore and lean the mistakes. Your advice is given out of your goodwill. Listen or not depends on the listener's view. Relax lah. :)

Now my question "Why you are out in the night?"
Please provide your answer. :bsmilie:

I also find it funny when people use flash for > 15m shots in broad daylight :bsmilie:
Do you remember when we were all photog noobs? For some of us it wasn't all that long ago ;p

i have seen many of my friends' pics on their camera - many of them blur esp those taken at night. however they still post it on facebook and receive many "like"s.

different strokes for different folks.

diff levels of appreciation... those who take snapshot love snapshots...

i don't know what is a good photo b4 i bought my dslr... not that now i know, but some improvement...

that's why there is a market for low end and hi end wedding pg...

:)

To be fair, not everyone is an expert at everything. Just like how we think "others" are ignorant and noob when it comes to photography and we belittle them in kopitiam threads, others may be drawing similar conclusions about us in other areas, judging by comments that we pen down on various subjects in kopitiam. :bsmilie:

Singaporeans have most of the the 4C, but their most prized is still their EGO. :dunno:

Try telling people that his body smell, or he's got bad breadth, or he is doing it the wrong way(and in your case, especially in front of some many people), etc.... and you know what I mean.:think: