Why is Pentax mounted lens more ex than other cam brands?

nwahschua

Mar 23, 2010
Hi all

Mind i ask why is the price difference more ex between pentax mounted lens than other brands? Out of curiousity

Which lens?

I am looking at the tamron 17-50 f/2.8

Mind i ask why is the price difference more ex between pentax mounted lens than other brands? Out of curiousity

A price difference cannot be "more expensive", just bigger.
The reason can be the lower market share of Pentax and therefore lower revenue from Pentax users. Other possible reasons: less developed dealer networks ..
But that's all only valid if you compare the same lens. Don't compare just similar focal length from different makers.

I think it is due to market share then.

Because the cost of developing the mount is spread among fewer users. The same lens (eg Tamron 17-50) is distributed by the same by the same distributor regardless of mount so it won't have an impact on the price.

I am looking at the tamron 17-50 f/2.8

Sorry, I still don't quite understand.
You mean Tamron 17-50/2.8 on Pentax mount is more expensive than Tamron 17-50/2.8 in Canon or Nikon mount?

Or do you just mean Tamron 17-50/2.8 compared to Pentax 16-50/2.8

i mean the 17-50/2.8 pentax mount is more ex than the canon and nikon mounts ones for Tamron

nwahschua, mind quoting the source of the pricing?
If the shop is trying to pull a fast one. Its good to let everyone know.

BTW, price from the price list section :

From the Tamron Pricelist (managed by Ortega)
SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) [$920 OP, Feb10] [$951 SLR Rev, Mar10] [$950 MS, Apr10 free filter]

SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) [$660 AP] [$710 CP] [$700 J316] [$699MS] [$630 OP] [$660 TK][$650 J316, May09] [$630 CP-P, May09] [$620 OP, Feb10] [$620 Lords Feb10]

From the Pentax Pricelist (managed by Gengh)
762397443_giDcS-X2-4.jpg

:)Have not actually go into any shops to get quote, but seems like online tamron 17-50/2.8 pentax mount is more ex than the rest slightly.

Thanks for all the replies, appreciated them. Actually is it worth to buy from Hongkong or in Singapore? Is it cheaper over there?

:)Have not actually go into any shops to get quote, but seems like online tamron 17-50/2.8 pentax mount is more ex than the rest slightly.

your online source might be uncompetitive.

as noted, B&H is selling them at the same price. to my understanding, so does amazon.

Yea from what i know all mounts are of the same prices...

Maybe you mistook the higher priced by comparing th VC one with the non-VC ?

Yea from what i know all mounts are of the same prices...

Maybe you mistook the higher priced by comparing th VC one with the non-VC ?

but then he said pentax is the one that is more expensive than other brands, which shouldn't be the case.

but then he said pentax is the one that is more expensive than other brands, which shouldn't be the case.

Thats why i said maybe he was comparing the VC to the non-VC one

anyway if you compare pentax lens to the equivalent of C/N Pentax lenses are a whole lot cheaper!