Why Is My Internet So Slow?

Do you think, our ISP uphold to their standards?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Satellite transmission is already being used in some countries. Under sea cable is too unreliable. Everyone says costs is the factor, but i don't know what we human beings want to save on that little piece of plastic or paper. At the end of the day, when you die, you can't bring all of that into your 6 foot grave.

GMAN

Satellite transmission isn't better than Under Sea cable.... Why ?? Because they can't handle large amount of data cheaply like Cable can. Countries/Places that uses Satellite are mainly very big places with small population where laying miles & miles of cable for 1 or 2 homes (like farming town in the Mid West USA) would cost too much.

Got this from Wikipedia....

Satellite Internet

This employs a satellite in geostationary orbit to relay data from the satellite company to each customer. Satellite Internet is usually among the most expensive ways of gaining broadband Internet access, but in rural areas it may only compete with cellular broadband. However, costs have been coming down in recent years to the point that it is becoming more competitive with other broadband options. German ISP, Filiago, offers the ASTRA2Connect satellite Internet system for €320 (equipment) plus €100 (registration) and a flat rate monthly fee dependent on bandwidth - from €20 for 256kbit/s download, 64 kbit/s upload, to €80 for 2048kbit/s download, 128 kbit/s upload.

Satellite Internet also has a high latency problem caused by the signal having to travel 35,000 km (22,000 miles) out into space to the satellite and back to Earth again. The signal delay can be as much as 500 milliseconds to 900 milliseconds, which makes this service unsuitable for applications requiring real-time user input such as certain multiplayer Internet games and first-person shooters played over the connection. Despite this, it is still possible for many games to be played, but the scope is limited to real-time strategy or turn-based games. The functionality of live interactive access to a distant computer can also be subject to the problems caused by high latency. These problems are more than tolerable for just basic email access and web browsing and in most cases are barely noticeable.

There is no way to get around this problem. The delay is primarily due to the speed of light being 300,000 km/second (186,000 miles per second). Even if all other signaling delays could be eliminated it still takes the electromagnetic wave 233 milliseconds to travel from ground to the satellite and back to the ground, a total of 70,000 km (44,000 miles) to travel from the user to the satellite company.

Since the satellite is usually being used for two-way communications, the total distance increases to 140,000 km (88,000 miles), which takes a radio wave 466 ms to travel. Factoring in normal delays from other network sources gives a typical connection latency of 500-700 ms. This is far worse latency than even most dial-up modem users' experience, at typically only 150-200 ms total latency.

Link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_internet#Rural_broadband

Advantages

True global broadband Internet access availability
Mobile connection to the Internet (with some providers)

Disadvantages

High latency compared to other broadband services, especially 2-way satellite service
Unreliable: drop-outs are common during travel, inclement weather, and during sunspot activity
The narrow-beam highly directional antenna must be accurately pointed to the satellite orbiting overhead
The Fair Access Policy limits heavy usage, if applied by the service provider
VPN use is discouraged, problematic, and/or restricted with satellite broadband, although available at a price
One-way satellite service requires the use of a modem or other data uplink connection
Satellite dishes are very large. Although most of them employ plastic to reduce weight, they are typically between 80 and 120 cm (30 to 48 inches) in diameter.

Last edited:
I can't even use facebook, the pages all load up funny.;(

Why can't they learn to use other means of transmissions, they take so much money from us, but they can't even upgrade their infrastructure.

GMAN

fyi, facebook is kena attacked by some people.
not becoz of the taiwan thingy.
their server kena attacked and overloaded

Satellite transmission is already being used in some countries. Under sea cable is too unreliable. Everyone says costs is the factor, but i don't know what we human beings want to save on that little piece of plastic or paper. At the end of the day, when you die, you can't bring all of that into your 6 foot grave.

GMAN

the bold part is so so so wrong

Since we're on this topic..... apart from pointing fingers at ISP.... are there other ways we can housekeep our PC/laptops for optimal performance

I only know defrag and clear cookies...

Any other things we should do ?

Since we're on this topic..... apart from pointing fingers at ISP.... are there other ways we can housekeep our PC/laptops for optimal performance

I only know defrag and clear cookies...

Any other things we should do ?
Hmm, the basic stuff. Clear your Temp Internet Files. If you are using vista, disable the IE8 phishing fliter. Sometimes, it's not the webpage can't load up, the phishing filter needs to sync with microsoft server to determine the webpage security, thus, sometimes it's very slow and cause the webpage not to load up at all.

Clear cookies once in a while.

GMAN

Hmm, the basic stuff. Clear your Temp Internet Files. If you are using vista, disable the IE8 phishing fliter. Sometimes, it's not the webpage can't load up, the phishing filter needs to sync with microsoft server to determine the webpage security, thus, sometimes it's very slow and cause the webpage not to load up at all.

Clear cookies once in a while.

GMAN

ok, am not IT pro but so by not using IE & by using other browsers like Firefox, Opera, Safari, should work faster right?

Definitely. IE8, has pretty much lots to fix. But the previous versions of IE have been better.

GMAN

I see I see...

Am on Mac at home, so 24/7 Safari but in the office LL la, no adminstrator password to download Safari/Firefox/Opera

Also, IE does have security issues right?

I see I see...

Am on Mac at home, so 24/7 Safari but in the office LL la, no adminstrator password to download Safari/Firefox/Opera

Also, IE does have security issues right?
Yeah, IE has quite a bit of security problems. Safari is the best for me. I use it at home too. I'm just planning to swap every other windows based notebook to a mac. Windows just sucks at times.

GMAN

GMAN

I work in an environment where we in someplaces we can only use Satellite, and believe me costs are cheaper using underwater cable.

Satellite is NOT fast if it is fast you pay for it. You complain about your speed etc, well satellite speeds range from 125kps all the way upto 2meg at present depending on the provider. Most of the commercial satellite services like VSAT, INMARSAT common in Asia, charge from 5 to 7 USD a Meg or charge per minute from 5 to 10 USD.

One my Indonesian client has a 4meg / 4meg link from Jakarta back to Adeliade, they are paying in access of USD15,000 amonth for that link. They pay USD3000 a month to XL in Indonesia from a dedicated 1meg/1meg link from Jakarta to Madura.

SingTel offers business broadband via satellite for ships, rigs etc, the cost starts from USD1000 per month for a 125kps link plus installation.

So I fail to see where its cheap.

Undersea cables are much cheaper to run, can allow bigger volumes of traffic. The APCN 2 cable is 2.56Tbit/s.

Submarine Cables.

Cheers .....

Yeah, IE has quite a bit of security problems. Safari is the best for me. I use it at home too. I'm just planning to swap every other windows based notebook to a mac. Windows just sucks at times.

GMAN

Hmmm... Windows XP was alright for me, but I have a laptop at home that runs on Vista, no doubt better in terms of looks & packaging compared to XP but the performance & compatability issues are such a pain with vista

I work in an environment where we in someplaces we can only use Satellite, and believe me costs are cheaper using underwater cable.

Satellite is NOT fast if it is fast you pay for it. You complain about your speed etc, well satellite speeds range from 125kps all the way upto 2meg at present depending on the provider. Most of the commercial satellite services like VSAT, INMARSAT common in Asia, charge from 5 to 7 USD a Meg or charge per minute from 5 to 10 USD.

One my Indonesian client has a 4meg / 4meg link from Jakarta back to Adeliade, they are paying in access of USD15,000 amonth for that link. They pay USD3000 a month to XL in Indonesia from a dedicated 1meg/1meg link from Jakarta to Madura.

SingTel offers business broadband via satellite for ships, rigs etc, the cost starts from USD1000 per month for a 125kps link plus installation.

So I fail to see where its cheap.

Undersea cables are much cheaper to run, can allow bigger volumes of traffic. The APCN 2 cable is 2.56Tbit/s.

Submarine Cables.

Cheers .....

Wow..... that's alot of $$$$ just to use Internet !! :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.