Why is my dry cabinet keeps on operating.

hx632

Mar 9, 2009
East
Hi,
I had an Akarui dry cabinet, Why is my dry cabinet keep on operating almost every day.
Is it normal or my dry cabinet is faulty?
My setting for the dry cabinet is to be around 50%.

Hi,
I had an Akarui dry cabinet, Why is my dry cabinet keep on operating almost every day.

It's supposed to be working all the time if not how do you think it can constantly maintain the humidity at 50%. That is how a dry cabinet works if the shop you bought it did not tell you.

Hi,

Er... not sure what you mean. Your dry cabinet supposed to be working and maintaining at 50% humidity as was set by yourself. It will be a problem if your dry cabinet stop operating.

Huh..? tot it is faulty when it not working?
It has to keep working to maintain the humidity that you had set.

I'm trying to see if I can understand what you said.

Are you trying to say that despite hitting the humidity level (+- around 50), the fan is still turning?

The cabinet itself is not sealed. Moisture can still get in. When it does, and it goes beyond the 50, the fan will start to operate till it hits below the number (or maybe range).

I have one noob question. Is it necessary to lock the dry cabinet with the key, to ensure that it has a tight seal? I always don't lock it. Can't seems to find information or the manual didn't mention it,

I have one noob question. Is it necessary to lock the dry cabinet with the key, to ensure that it has a tight seal? I always don't lock it. Can't seems to find information or the manual didn't mention it,

No, it is not necessary to lock it for the seal. The lock doesn't do anything more actually, beyond perhaps preventing kids from opening it and juggling your cameras. :bsmilie:

Hi,

It's like a fridge, to maintain a constant environment, obviously you have to keep it operating.

But the energy consumption is a lot lower than a fridge, so why worry? :dunno:

No, it is not necessary to lock it for the seal. The lock doesn't do anything more actually, beyond perhaps preventing kids from opening it and juggling your cameras. :bsmilie:

That itself is an important reminder to those who have kids of the 'opening and juggling cameras' age.

The humidity unit in dry cabinets or at least the Akarui ones will stop "working" when the set humidity level is obtained. It will start to "work" again when the humidity level rises i.e. when you open the cabinet doors. When its dehumidifying the cabinet, the red light will be on. Are you saying that this light is on all the time? Do you open the doors very often?

That itself is an important reminder to those who have kids of the 'opening and juggling cameras' age.

I don't have kids but I do have a missus whom I need to keep my cameras and lenses away from... she is sharp and can smell new stuff. :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Thanks for your reply. I'm asking cause I could feel that by turning the key to lock the cabinet, it has a tighter 'seal', indicating the moisture from the environment could not gets in easily. Without locking, the gap of the door and cabinet is bigger, thereby easier for the fresh / moist air to get in. This activates the fan to 'kick in' or 'on' more frequently in order to maintain the desired humidity. It's like you have a leaked fridge.

Probably the difference of the electricity is marginal, hence most of you don't lock it. The only reason is for preventing kids from juggling the cameras. :)

Thanks for your reply. I'm asking cause I could feel that by turning the key to lock the cabinet, it has a tighter 'seal', indicating the moisture from the environment could not gets in easily. Without locking, the gap of the door and cabinet is bigger, thereby easier for the fresh / moist air to get in. This activates the fan to 'kick in' or 'on' more frequently in order to maintain the desired humidity. It's like you have a leaked fridge.

Probably the difference of the electricity is marginal, hence most of you don't lock it. The only reason is for preventing kids from juggling the cameras. :)

Oh. Good idea.

We should lock our fridge too.....

electricity bill v ex leh

Oh, car drivers should lock all doors too when using air con. Can save some petrol

Hi,

It is SUPPOSED to be operating every day. U only start to worry if it's not......

Not sure if the locking actually does anything more for the seal. If in doubt, I guess the people who know best would be the distributor and/or manufacturer.. :)

if you want better seal, you can gaffer tape to seal the door gaps.

The lock is nothing more than a latch with keys. It does not do anything to the seal.

Thanks for all your humourous replies.:) So by closing the door will just be fine...

Sorry to TS for hijacking this post.

Thanks for all your humourous replies.:) So by closing the door will just be fine...

Sorry to TS for hijacking this post.

Shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I never lock my dry cabinet. Locking it will pose another problem for absent minded people like me... such as losing the key and my 10k equipments all locked inside... need a crowbar to break open the cabinet :)

Shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I never lock my dry cabinet. Locking it will pose another problem for absent minded people like me... such as losing the key and my 10k equipments all locked inside... need a crowbar to break open the cabinet :)

Not sure about Akuri, but for digi-cabi, I think the screws for the doors are outside, just a screwdriver can remove the door liao :bsmilie: