Why is making a spectacle could be so expensive in Singapore?

Oct 10, 2013
Iiagan
I went to my neighborhood spectacle store wanting to make a normal spectacle for myself as I know that those optical chain in shopping mall could be very expensive. I wanted a spectacle which I could use daily as I need to move around regularly in the day due to the nature of my job as a sales.
To the shock of my life, the shop offered me $500 for a simple Korean non-branded frame and Hoya transition multi-coated lens of -400 degree.
The shop owner told its the Hoya lens that is expensive and he had given me a very good discount already because I live around the area and was a return customer.
I eventually walked away because I felt I was ripped off.

Is there really a good place to make quality spectacle without spending a bomb in Singapore?

Since the rate of myopia is so high here (kids studying indoors all day, destroying their eyes), the opticians make a killing.

I feel the neighbourhood stores provide the best value. You can try Pearl's Optics in Peoples Park Complex if you need something more centrally located. They've been there around for a long time.

However honestly the whole spectacles industry is a major rip off. I watched a CBS documentary on sunglasses which shows that Luxottica owning Raybans, Oakleys and just about every single sunglass brand there is available for sale. There is a monopoly on such stuff.

Even before watching that documentary I have always gone for the cheapest lenses without coating because I like to use my shirts to wipe my specs. The last time I had a multi coated lens, I had it all scratched up within three weeks so on came the $10 lenses for my specs. Chances are if you picked a non-multi coated lens, it would be a lot cheaper. I paid $60 for my most recent pair of standard specs.

My family has been going to Soon Lee Optical at Sim Lim Tower for the longest time. Great value and very fair prices.

Note also, once you go transition the cost will be very very high. If you want to save some money, do not get the transition lenses. Get a clip on or get shades corrected for your eyes.

If you want to save even more, avoid the thin lenses or the multicoated.

Last edited:
Gosh that is expensive for a pair of glasses, TS! Sorry I cannot help you much cos I only make glasses for my astigmatism and only really need it when driving at night. Having said that, my wife used to make her glasses at Beauty World Shopping Centre, Sincere Optics. They have given her very fair prices and great service.

A basic plastic with no features is around $60.

You're probably given the highest cost option.

High index for thin lens. Higher the thinner they get and of course higher the cost and they are not linear in relationship. A regular lens at -400 will be v thick. This adds $150. Glass is cheapest but heavy.

Transition will add $100+ to the game.

Multi coated, another $50+.

Shatterproof adds another $100. If you got half or rimless frame, you need this.

Bottom line, fancy cost money.

Mine cost less then $100. plastic type. reason cannot wear metal fancy type as sweat too much corrode very fast.

Even sales person dun sell me as i waste money like that they understand.

For $500 you can have oakley half frame with quality glass. I think your local store is a rip off.
Try the store at Anchorpoint

Second qystan's points.

I have never been a big fan of transition lenses. Always believed in either having a good pair of sunglasses on hand or just using clear lenses for normal use. The grey or translucent black look just doesnt cut it for me. Helps that I save a lot of $$$ in not getting such fanciful lenses too.

Mine cost less then $100. plastic type. reason cannot wear metal fancy type as sweat too much corrode very fast.

Even sales person dun sell me as i waste money like that they understand.

How about titanium frame? Non reactive metal. Beta titanium quite good price. And mine was quite lasting.....

Last edited:
I went to my neighborhood spectacle store wanting to make a normal spectacle for myself as I know that those optical chain in shopping mall could be very expensive. I wanted a spectacle which I could use daily as I need to move around regularly in the day due to the nature of my job as a sales.
To the shock of my life, the shop offered me $500 for a simple Korean non-branded frame and Hoya transition multi-coated lens of -400 degree.
The shop owner told its the Hoya lens that is expensive and he had given me a very good discount already because I live around the area and was a return customer.
I eventually walked away because I felt I was ripped off.

Is there really a good place to make quality spectacle without spending a bomb in Singapore?

I think the frame cost is low.... it is the lens that is more expensive. Plus u want transitional n I think they offer u hi index.... so ya.... it is around that price...... if I'm not wrong.....

I feel the neighbourhood stores provide the best value. You can try Pearl's Optics in Peoples Park Complex if you need something more centrally located. They've been there around for a long time.

However honestly the whole spectacles industry is a major rip off. I watched a CBS documentary on sunglasses which shows that Luxottica owning Raybans, Oakleys and just about every single sunglass brand there is available for sale. There is a monopoly on such stuff.

Even before watching that documentary I have always gone for the cheapest lenses without coating because I like to use my shirts to wipe my specs. The last time I had a multi coated lens, I had it all scratched up within three weeks so on came the $10 lenses for my specs. Chances are if you picked a non-multi coated lens, it would be a lot cheaper. I paid $60 for my most recent pair of standard specs.

This link Sticker shock: Why are glasses so expensive? will probably explain why. Spectacle frames, branded or not, is marked up as much as 20 times.

5-6 years back I went to Vietnam HCM to make a pair of prescription glasses. Including transition lens and frame cost less than $120, and the multi coating simply lasts forever, even with daily washing with dishwashing detergent, which my other seiko/nikon/essilor lens' coating all cracked when viewed under the strong light.

Last edited:
AS Optics,
Lucky Plaza, Orchard Rd, Singapore 238863
Phone:6235 8823
Hours: Tuesday 11:00 am – 8:00 pm

Don't get fooled by the location, the shop owner is super friendly and trustworthy, I have been patronising them for many years. FYI, all my children wear glasses and they need to replace glasses on yearly basis.

i'm always using Oakleys.

as a very active person.. i need to have strong frames. what i usually do is import the frames, then get the local opticians to cut the lenses.

and i believe in getting the best from the beginning.

other than my sunglasses, my Oakley spectacles have been with me for over 7 years.

full titanium and lightweight. it has taken hits from basketballs, footballs, tennis racquets, punches, kicks, thrown all over the place... and it's still working well in one piece.

i paid a total of $600 for it, but for the years of service, i think it's pretty worth it.

The lens alone can cost a lot if you go for high grade with many different type of features (transition, thin profile etc). Transition very high cost, there are other type which work almost same way at lower price, but still not cheap.
The cost price of a high end lens can cost few hundred here. Factory/suppliers also already mark up price.
Plus shops need pay rental, electrical, maintain equipment, staffs salary etc.

My friends work in optical shop, she will always advice me for very least, just go for thin profile depend on type of frame I chose, as my degree quite high. And multicoat optional. Gd to have some UV protection if want. Then get those clip on tinted lenses with UV if need the "sunglasses" function.

Those that claim scratch resistant, water resistant etc dun really work that well as it claim. It will still get scratch & water still stay on lens.
Just buy those lens spray to clean the normal lens, so will have the "water resistant" for short period.

i'm always using Oakleys.

as a very active person.. i need to have strong frames. what i usually do is import the frames, then get the local opticians to cut the lenses.

and i believe in getting the best from the beginning.

other than my sunglasses, my Oakley spectacles have been with me for over 7 years.

full titanium and lightweight. it has taken hits from basketballs, footballs, tennis racquets, punches, kicks, thrown all over the place... and it's still working well in one piece.

i paid a total of $600 for it, but for the years of service, i think it's pretty worth it.

If you want to impress a mature woman who is double of your age and win her heart and bed there is no better way than choosing the $600 Oakleys. :bsmilie:

99288966-young-chinese-man-wearing-suit-eating-noodles-gettyimages.jpg

Last edited:
This link Sticker shock: Why are glasses so expensive? will probably explain why. Spectacle frames, branded or not, is marked up as much as 20 times.

5-6 years back I went to Vietnam HCM to make a pair of prescription glasses. Including transition lens and frame cost less than $120, and the multi coating simply lasts forever, even with daily washing with dishwashing detergent, which my other seiko/nikon/essilor lens' coating all cracked when viewed under the strong light.

Hi, I'm going to hcmc next month and, after reading this thread, am tempted to go make a pair of specs there. Do u know how many days it takes to get it down? Coz I'm only there for 3d2n. And in Singapore, at least for shops that I have visited, they make actually take more than 3 days from prescription to collection. Also any recommended shops in hcmc?

Hi, I'm going to hcmc next month and, after reading this thread, am tempted to go make a pair of specs there. Do u know how many days it takes to get it down? Coz I'm only there for 3d2n. And in Singapore, at least for shops that I have visited, they make actually take more than 3 days from prescription to collection. Also any recommended shops in hcmc?

Actually the last time I made spectacles in Shanghai, I could collect it within 2 hours. There was a spectacles 批发市场。Im guessing it wont take as long in Vietnam too..