Why is Mac so dumb on certain functions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CreaXion

Jun 15, 2006
Planet Earth
Been using Mac for few weeks. Found certain things very dumb or it could be due to my insufficient knowledge.

1. When we view pics from folder, i can't scroll forward or backward like Windows unless I select everything and drag into the preview application. is there any easier way.
2. In windows, u can select a range of files using the shift key but in Mac, there is no such function.
3. During the preview of photos, i dun seem to be able to delete the file directly unless i drag it from drawer to the dustbin. The delete key does not work.

Dear forumers, any tips?

Been using Mac for few weeks. Found certain things very dumb or it could be due to my insufficient knowledge.

1. When we view pics from folder, i can't scroll forward or backward like Windows unless I select everything and drag into the preview application. is there any easier way.
2. In windows, u can select a range of files using the shift key but in Mac, there is no such function.
3. During the preview of photos, i dun seem to be able to delete the file directly unless i drag it from drawer to the dustbin. The delete key does not work.

Dear forumers, any tips?

hehee

#1 is quite dumb in my opinion too. But I have no problem using another program call 'viewit' to view photos fast.

#2 you can use the shift key, provided you view the window as a list instead of icon. But I just use my mouse to select a whole chunk in icon mode. Got used to that already.

#3, you must use 'command+delete' or 'apple+delete' keys to delete it. this is to prevent users from accidentally delete items.

Hope it helps :)

Why don't you learn the system, instead of bitching abt it?

If you wanna see them like what u describe, you can select all those image and right click (ctrl-click if you have single button) the images in a Finder window and select slide show.

Dear forumers, any tips?

1) u can select all and view it thru preview folder. anyway theres iphoto mah.. normally will view it from there.
2) i believe its apple + click not shift
3) thats the safety part... u wont delete the image accidentally.

no offense, u just started using Mac? dun worry if its the fact, u will get used to it. its not dumb at all. do u know that win 2000 or xp copy some functions frm Mac? anyway happy using.

Dear forumers, any tips?

buy a window xp / vista comp.

1. Just CMD+A to select everything, then CMD+O to open them. Preview will open with your photos.
2. To add individual files to selection, it's CMD+Click. To add files that are in sequence, it's SHIFT+Click.
3. CMD+D to delete.

There are like tons of shortcut keys that are amazingly useful and time-saving.
Check them out on the link below
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

1. Just CMD+A to select everything, then CMD+O to open them. Preview will open with your photos.
2. To add individual files to selection, it's CMD+Click. To add files that are in sequence, it's SHIFT+Click.
3. CMD+D to delete.

There are like tons of shortcut keys that are amazingly useful and time-saving.
Check them out on the link below
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

Thanks for the tip. As for the shift+click, didn't seem to work. However, someone did say it must viewed as list instead of thumbnails.

Thanks for the tip. As for the shift+click, didn't seem to work. However, someone did say it must viewed as list instead of thumbnails.

Hi, FYI shift+click does work on all 3 modes - list, thumbnails and detailed.

One disadvantage MAC has over Windows is that you can't use the keyboard to select menu items.

One disadvantage MAC has over Windows is that you can't use the keyboard to select menu items.

Yes you are able to do so on the Mac. Once u are at the top menu, and don't want to use the mouse, use the up, down, left, right buttons to move around. Also, see the Command functions for your most favourite functions. On the right of the menu item, you'll see all the shortcut names.

CreaXion, alternatively you can hit cmd+j and check preview.

Don't complain that your pen can't write when you haven't even removed the cap.

Vince, To highlight menu items, hit ctrl+F1 to enable, ctrl+f2 to view menu. ctrl+f3 selects the dock.

Anyway, keyboard shortcuts are rather standard, you know one you more or less know all. Why waste time navigating through the menu when it's faster using the specific keyboard shortcut or navigating the menu using the mouse?

If there's a menu item you use frequently though, you can add a keyboard shortcut to it using system prefs.

Majest1c, 1.you're not helping and 2.whoa don't even get me started.

select the pics...then right-click (ctrl-click if using single button mouse, or 2 fingers on trackpad and click) and select slide show from the menu. you can use the arrow keys to scroll back and forth.

in icon view, shift-click and cmd-click do not select a range. use mouse to drag and select. if you want to select a range, switch to list view or column view and use shift-click to select a range.

i assume you are using the preview application. use cmd-delete to delete the photo. incidentally thats how you delete in finder also.

hope this helps :)

don't you just love the mac community?

btw how can you call a computer dumb?
it is just a box taking instructions from the user

I'm not talking about predefined shortcut keys.

For example, in IE, there is a predefined shortcut key for save - Ctrl S. However, there is no predefined shortcut key for save as. hence, in Windows, we can press Alt, F, A, to access the save as. Can the Mac do that? If it can, it must have changed since I last used it.

Yes you are able to do so on the Mac. Once u are at the top menu, and don't want to use the mouse, use the up, down, left, right buttons to move around. Also, see the Command functions for your most favourite functions. On the right of the menu item, you'll see all the shortcut names.

don't you just love the mac community?

btw how can you call a computer dumb?
it is just a box taking instructions from the user

Hee Hee. I guess I am just the dumb user:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Thanks for all the help guys or gals. Well I am not that kind to read manuals. Hence the problem.

I'm not talking about predefined shortcut keys.

For example, in IE, there is a predefined shortcut key for save - Ctrl S. However, there is no predefined shortcut key for save as. hence, in Windows, we can press Alt, F, A, to access the save as. Can the Mac do that? If it can, it must have changed since I last used it.

Vince, yes, you are able to do so. CMD+S will allow you to save & ALT+CMD+S will allow you to do save as. :)

Dear forumers, any tips?

This is what i do usually;

For the issues you have raised:

i. Use "CMD+A". This selects all the photos.

ii. Hold down CMD and use the mouse to click on those you do not want to view (i.e. removing them from the selection in step i.)

iii. Use "CMD+O" This will open the photos in "Preview" and you can use your directional keys to scroll through your photos.

iv. Similarly, if you wish to delete certain photos, hold down "CMD" and click on the photos you wish to delete. Thereafter, use "CMD+Del". This will move the selected photos to the dustbin. This prevents accidental deletes.

Notes:
a) you are able to scale the preview pane using your mouse so remember to adjust the preview window accordingly.

b) You can also go suss out other photo viewing softwares that might have interfaces that you are more comfortable with.

c) You can also increase of decrease the size of the thumbnails in your folders. Go to the folder you wish to scale the thumbnails, make sure nothing is selected (i.e. click on empty space within folder), use "CMD+i" and a window will pop up which allows you to dictate the size of the thumbnails. Remember to specify if you want the change to be applied across the entire systemor only for this particular folder.

d) The "CMD" key is your friend. Lean to experiment maybe check out FAQs thata re available or even better, join others for a Mac/Photography gathering to learn more. :)

Cheers mate. :)

PS: Mac isn't really all that hard to use. Its like buying a different make of mobile phones. Same principal applies since you will have to go through getting used to the interface etc. I got my mac at the start of this year and it's barely been a year but I can say it feel very comfortable to use. My mother is looking to pick up learning abt computers and I am contemplating getting her a mac. So if a 50++ lady can learn, I am sure most of us can too. ;)

Macs are not dumb, people who bitch abt Macs are dumb are the ones who are cos they do not know what is call google and expect people to spoonfeed them.

Macs are not dumb, people who bitch abt Macs are dumb are the ones who are cos they do not know what is call google and expect people to spoonfeed them.

Alright, lets not get all worked up on a nice Sunday morning... :)

I understand where you are coming from but we try our best to share what we know and of course, on the flip side, the TS should also mayhaps put things across in a manner that does not seem too abrasive, yes?

Cheers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.