Why is Mac so dumb on certain functions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also cannot work. Tried liao.

Shift-click and Command-click must work, but you must continue to hold the key while you click. Shift-click should work exactly as it does on Windows.

You should be able to add or subtract files with Command-click.

I agree that selection is sometimes tricky, especially when the file names are not able to be placed in order somehow. Sometimes, I use the Arrange By options to temporarily sort a folder's contents. If I'm working on some new photos, I always start by creating a new folder for them to keep them organised from the start.

The unlearning will take some time, I'm sure. Good luck!

Shift-click and Command-click must work, but you must continue to hold the key while you click. Shift-click should work exactly as it does on Windows.

You should be able to add or subtract files with Command-click.

I agree that selection is sometimes tricky, especially when the file names are not able to be placed in order somehow. Sometimes, I use the Arrange By options to temporarily sort a folder's contents. If I'm working on some new photos, I always start by creating a new folder for them to keep them organised from the start.

The unlearning will take some time, I'm sure. Good luck!

Tried command click and Shift click. Still cannot select a series of files. Can only be done in list or detailed mode. No issue with that. Icon or thumbnail mode- still cannot. Is there any other possible areas that is jamming the function?

Quicklook in the new Leopard might just be what we need for quick browsing.

The thread title is the reason you got some flake from Macusers. When I saw the thread title, I was "concerned" to say the least.

Tried command click and Shift click. Still cannot select a series of files. Can only be done in list or detailed mode. No issue with that. Icon or thumbnail mode- still cannot. Is there any other possible areas that is jamming the function?

Wait! I just tried Shift-click and it's not working as it had been since Mac OS X. It works the way it did from the original Mac OS through Mac OS 9. Unfortunately, Command-click duplicates the functionality. I'm guessing this is something broken in Finder in Mac OS X 10.4.10 that will be fixed shortly since 10.4.11 is due any time now. :eek:

Selecting a series of files is NOT POSSIBLE in icon mode.

Can only select individually in the icon mode

Wah. 3 page already still can't solve...
:bigeyes:

Selecting a series of files is NOT POSSIBLE in icon mode.

Can only select individually in the icon mode

Wah. 3 page already still can't solve...
:bigeyes:

Some say that it can be done in any mode loh. I tried but cannot.

Quicklook in the new Leopard might just be what we need for quick browsing.

The thread title is the reason you got some flake from Macusers. When I saw the thread title, I was "concerned" to say the least.

A controversial title will invite pp to read. As the saying goes, "bad publicity is also good publicity".

Wait! I just tried Shift-click and it's not working as it had been since Mac OS X. It works the way it did from the original Mac OS through Mac OS 9. Unfortunately, Command-click duplicates the functionality. I'm guessing this is something broken in Finder in Mac OS X 10.4.10 that will be fixed shortly since 10.4.11 is due any time now. :eek:

Thanks for the clarification.

don't you just love the mac community?

btw how can you call a computer dumb?
it is just a box taking instructions from the user

Actually no. I find the mac community a bit condescending.

guys...thats the way it works.

http://applejac.typepad.com/applejac_macintosh_users/2006/08/master_the_find.html

maybe the term range in icon view is subjective. do you do a range left to right, or top to bottom, or left and down as in windows. maybe apple hasn't decided :bsmilie:

It wasn't always that way. I remember cursing Apple because they changed it for Mac OS X.

Actually no. I find the mac community a bit condescending.

The fanatics certainly are condescending, arrogant, and intolerant but not all Mac users.

Actually no. I find the Mac community a bit condescending.

We have the right to be dear. After all, we ARE using the the most advanced operating system. :sticktong

But I do find this comment to be in rather poor taste. Some of the nicest and most helpful people I know are from the Mac community. And we have a few examples here within this thread where people have willingly shared solutions with the thread starter who, in his/her thread title, slammed the Mac for being dumb because he/she did not know how to use it! Using a qualifier to say that he/she is a newbie does not excuse the poorly written thread title. Here is a case of a bad workmen blaming his tools - which I'm afraid is becoming more and more common as we see more and more people switching over from Windoze.

We have the right to be dear. After all, we ARE using the the most advanced operating system. :sticktong

But I do find this comment to be in rather poor taste. Some of the nicest and most helpful people I know are from the Mac community. And we have a few examples here within this thread where people have willingly shared solutions with the thread starter who, in his/her thread title, slammed the Mac for being dumb because he/she did not know how to use it! Using a qualifier to say that he/she is a newbie does not excuse the poorly written thread title. Here is a case of a bad workmen blaming his tools - which I'm afraid is becoming more and more common as we see more and more people switching over from Windoze.

In any community, there are pp who are helpful and of course there are jerks. This is the same for Mac or Windows or whatsoever community. To generalise statements such as this is sterotyping. Unless there is supporting data, these are just myths. Myths like this happen because certain pp are more prominent and hence seems to represent the community. This is call perception.

As for my thread title, it was done purposely not to condemn Mac but to create a controversial statement for pp to share. Anyway, if I am correct, your statement regarding more pp switching to windows is wrong. More and more pp are switching to Mac cause Mac has become more affordable and a lifestyle item. The introduction of IPOD has cause a lot of pp to become more aware of Mac.

But I do find this comment to be in rather poor taste.

If you find my comment in poor taste, why are you trying to prove me right? :D

To generalise statements such as this is sterotyping. Unless there is supporting data, these are just myths. Myths like this happen because certain pp are more prominent and hence seems to represent the community. This is call perception.

OK then... I perceive the MAC community to be rather condescending.

Status
Not open for further replies.