why is flash so expensive


Status
Not open for further replies.

groupwest

New Member
Nov 16, 2003
109
0
0
Visit site
#1
Any idea why flash is expensive ?
For lens, expensive is understandable cos of the precision and high quality of
glass used. But for flash that cost a few hundred dollars .......:think:
Is it so difficult to make ? They are mostly electronics and cheap once mass
produced, right? . Or maybe just Nikon/Canon want to rip us for accessories ?
Nikon SB800 can do wireless but that kind of technology is cheap anyway nowadays. Anyone has any explanation ?
:dunno:
 

sfhuang

New Member
Jan 21, 2002
914
0
0
sfhuang.clubsnap.org
#2
It's not just flash. Everything to do with photography is expensive. This is a very expensive hobby and you just have to accept it. :angel:
 

#3
sfhuang said:
It's not just flash. Everything to do with photography is expensive. This is a very expensive hobby and you just have to accept it. :angel:
A hell lot of wizardry goes on inside that SB800, 550EX, etc. A lot of research goes into those wizardry. Similarly, even until now, DSLRs are considerably more expensive than their film counterparts.

Regards
CK
 

Ah Pao

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
1,663
0
36
Singapore
www.facebook.com
#5
If you did not realise, a full-featured electronic flash also has an onboard computer (probably way smarter than the lens) to calculate the precise amount of light you need to have a good exposure. High-voltage capacitors and bulbs, zoom motor, sensors, LCDs, etc. all costs money, not to mention the R&D that went into producing the flash.

You can very well get a $20 Sunpak or Achiever flash but they won't have the same amount of light control compared to your SB800 or 550EX. Who says flashes are expensive?
 

jbma

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
3,287
0
0
Tampines
#6
In other words you pay for technology and quality. It not just Canon or Nikon. Metz and some other brands cost a lot too. But in photography terms it's cheap compared to the camera body or lens.
 

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
45
singapore
www.larryloh.com
#7
groupwest said:
Nikon SB800 can do wireless but that kind of technology is cheap anyway nowadays. Anyone has any explanation ?
:dunno:
SB800 doesn't just "do wireless". it does wireless slave flash on different frequency channels with TTL metering.
 

satan_18349

Deregistered
May 6, 2004
1,497
0
0
hell 極樂世&
#8
Larry said:
SB800 doesn't just "do wireless". it does wireless slave flash on different frequency channels with TTL metering.
hi larry..dun mind me asking...so SB800 wireless slave flash only works with D' series nikon? hw abt film SLR?
 

satan_18349

Deregistered
May 6, 2004
1,497
0
0
hell 極樂世&
#9
jbma said:
In other words you pay for technology and quality. It not just Canon or Nikon. Metz and some other brands cost a lot too. But in photography terms it's cheap compared to the camera body or lens.

right man! $600+ will get you a tip top curry pot speedlite but you will only get a low-mid range body or lens for that amount.... :D
 

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
45
singapore
www.larryloh.com
#10
satan_18349 said:
hi larry..dun mind me asking...so SB800 wireless slave flash only works with D' series nikon? hw abt film SLR?
yup. SB800 only works for i-TTL enabled cameras, which currently is only the D70 and D2H... not even on D100 or the D1x/h
 

sulhan

Moderator
Staff member
May 11, 2002
4,028
0
36
45
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
#11
Hiee....

FYI....since long long time ago.....there is this mark up price....on photographic equipment.....so for a $600 flash.....its true cost would probably about $200++....i believe....

As per the electronics in the flashes.....lets see....where the cost would come from...(imagine)
- flash tube....
- motor for motorised zoom head
- LCD panel
- infrared transmitter receivers...
- Basic flash circutry....
- high speed charge caps..or multi caps...for multi strobes...
- Brain juice...r&D
- POWER circuit...
- Reliability + Consistency.......
- communication channel from flash to body ...something like serial comms...

Flash to me is a portable SUN whcih you could carry around and it runs on batteries......and with better power management circuits nowadays....better battery life....

OT: The NIKON SD800DX looks very similar to the Minolta 5600HS(D)....maybe same maker......


rgds,
sulhan
 

justdoit

New Member
Sep 29, 2003
150
0
0
40
Locations
#12
If they don't make the flash expensive, how can Japan GDP so high. How can the CEO, directors make so much money and enjoy a luxurious life.

Not only flash, the screw cover also expensive, one that is made of just plastic can cost you $18.
 

groupwest

New Member
Nov 16, 2003
109
0
0
Visit site
#13
OK. My camera is only F75 with cheap lens. So buying SB800 is probably an overkill. If I attached an SB800 to my F75, it will look like a crown :D :D

I will consider it if I buy D70 next time.
I happened to catch the Photo imaging world exhibition in Sydney. The nikon
guy gave a demo how to use 4 pieces of SB800 as a portable and simple studio
setup. He even used the wireless data tranmission to transfer the jpg
from the camera to the notebook (with Plasma TV display). Cool !
 

TME

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
6,580
0
0
41
Clementi
#14
groupwest said:
OK. My camera is only F75 with cheap lens. So buying SB800 is probably an overkill. If I attached an SB800 to my F75, it will look like a crown :D :D

I will consider it if I buy D70 next time.
I happened to catch the Photo imaging world exhibition in Sydney. The nikon
guy gave a demo how to use 4 pieces of SB800 as a portable and simple studio
setup. He even used the wireless data tranmission to transfer the jpg
from the camera to the notebook (with Plasma TV display). Cool !
Well, I dun think it's an overkill.... if u are into flash photography the quality and control over the flash output makes or breaks your pictures.... and at any rate, if u upgrade the body the flash can still be used on the new body.... it's like an investment perhaps.... it's always there when u need it.... no need to buy new body and then heartache no money to buy the flash... otherwise if u buy a cheaper flash now, u'll soon find that it is not powerful enough and u'll want to upgrade.. so bite the bullet now and get the best flash in the range.... it will last a pretty long time....
 

Ah Pao

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
1,663
0
36
Singapore
www.facebook.com
#15
sulhan said:
FYI....since long long time ago.....there is this mark up price....on photographic equipment.....so for a $600 flash.....its true cost would probably about $200++....i believe....
Yeap, you'll probably only pay $200++/pc if you buy a few thousand pieces at a go from the manufacturer direct...
 

satan_18349

Deregistered
May 6, 2004
1,497
0
0
hell 極樂世&
#16
TME said:
Well, I dun think it's an overkill.... if u are into flash photography the quality and control over the flash output makes or breaks your pictures.... and at any rate, if u upgrade the body the flash can still be used on the new body.... it's like an investment perhaps.... it's always there when u need it.... no need to buy new body and then heartache no money to buy the flash... otherwise if u buy a cheaper flash now, u'll soon find that it is not powerful enough and u'll want to upgrade.. so bite the bullet now and get the best flash in the range.... it will last a pretty long time....
Thats is very true!! :thumbsup: same goes for body, lens etc...but of course buy the best that you can afford..juz got mine yest!! :D although the CLS can't work on my cam(i'm not using DSLR) but i still think its a good buy and won't see the need of changing it cos its the TOP Nikon flashgun... :bsmilie:
 

satan_18349

Deregistered
May 6, 2004
1,497
0
0
hell 極樂世&
#17
sulhan said:
Hiee....

FYI....since long long time ago.....there is this mark up price....on photographic equipment.....so for a $600 flash.....its true cost would probably about $200++....i believe....

As per the electronics in the flashes.....lets see....where the cost would come from...(imagine)
- flash tube....
- motor for motorised zoom head
- LCD panel
- infrared transmitter receivers...
- Basic flash circutry....
- high speed charge caps..or multi caps...for multi strobes...
- Brain juice...r&D
- POWER circuit...
- Reliability + Consistency.......
- communication channel from flash to body ...something like serial comms...

Flash to me is a portable SUN whcih you could carry around and it runs on batteries......and with better power management circuits nowadays....better battery life....

OT: The NIKON SD800DX looks very similar to the Minolta 5600HS(D)....maybe same maker......


rgds,
sulhan

Also becos its- "MAKE IN JAPAN"=$$
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom