Why is Canon 2nd hand lens/body so expensive in CS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holaboy

Jan 19, 2010
I find that the prices for brand new lens and body in retail shops is quite close for those who posted in CS, why is that so? Eg: Canon F1.8 50mm is retailing at $125nett with Canon 15mths warranty and yet in CS buy/sell is between $100-$120 "2nd hand" with and without warranty.

Yet people still buy? So curious about it because of the price difference is not by alot for 2nd hand compared to brand new.

Another eg: 2nd hand Canon EF 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM $550-$600 (CS), Brand New $590 (retail)

Would be nice if anyone can give a logical advice. no hard feelings to sellers.

Regards
Curious boy

nothing is expensive in this world, it is a question of ability of buy it.:sweat:

willing seller willing buyer.

There are more buyers than sellers. Also, it is 20% discount. (from 125 to 100) :bsmilie:

Some people would prefer to save some money and get the 2nd hand lens, while others would rather pay a bit more to get a brand new lens, it's all up to individual. If you're not comfortable than get a new one lor.

Like others have mentioned, supply and demand and willing seller, willing buyer.

I find that the prices for brand new lens and body in retail shops is quite close for those who posted in CS, why is that so? Eg: Canon F1.8 50mm is retailing at $125nett with Canon 15mths warranty and yet in CS buy/sell is between $100-$120 "2nd hand" with and without warranty.

Yet people still buy? So curious about it because of the price difference is not by alot for 2nd hand compared to brand new.

Another eg: 2nd hand Canon EF 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM $550-$600 (CS), Brand New $590 (retail)

Would be nice if anyone can give a logical advice. no hard feelings to sellers.

Regards
Curious boy

np TS, if u realise canon are the leading market in DSLR/cams. and if u realise, there is no other 2nd hand shop can sell cheaper than clubsnap, if yes, pls name some of the details so we can share :D

the biggest reason for cost escalation is that there are people onvolved here in BnS section that only buy and sell stuff, ie they are here for commercial reasons. such commercial use, coupled with the fact that the supply in most cases are trickling and add to that the concept of "usual price" which leaves no set guidelines for price makes its a costly market to buy lenses.

eg: 35mm Nikon 1.8 is selling in SLR for 340, HNTC 339, rest all 380~390. Yet resale people ask for nothing less than 350!! with or without warranty.

LOL pardon me i really find it a joke.

Some newbie in B&S selling 18-55mm IS Kit lens @ $150 where there are tonnes of pple selling their kit and a much lower price but this few newbies selling at mark up price. Hmmm to me its still 2nd hand kit lens be it used or unused.

As confirm that supply are much much much more than demand.....

Last edited:
depends on who use the lens before
if someone famous then the value goes up

"wah! so and so used this lens to take that famous picture you know!"

Actually, why bother? If other people happy to buy at that price, its their decision :p Sometimes people go out of their way to save a insignificant sum while taking a huge risk.

depends on who use the lens before
if someone famous then the value goes up

"wah! so and so used this lens to take that famous picture you know!"

:sweatsm:....:thumbsup:

A 2nd hand market is a good thing as stuff is given a chanced to be recycled instead of being discarded. Before buying new, I do sometime look through the BnS to see if I could help someone recycle their stuff and if I feel it is working well and I could save on expenditure, why not, e.g. an un-used Nikkor 50mm f1.4 with a S$100 discount, why not? but a 5 months 5D II with just a $250 discount, that I go for new.

So long you are happy with what you get and felt that the price is comparatively acceptable, I don't see any harm. Those that are asking for unusual high prices normally get ignored anyway. ;)

...from what I hv seen is there are many shops (which include reputed ones like Cathay Photo) that sell the camera stuff at a much higher margin vis-a-vis other 'better' shops (no wonder they happily accept any credit card, even AmEx!). Newbies or people who hvnt done their mkt research end up buying from these shops for their own reasons (like ignorance, assurance, etc.).

When these guys think at it was an impulsive purchase OR want to fund a new purchase, they come to the B&S section of CS. They mark DOWN the price from THEIR orig. purchase price which ends up being close to the general market price, had they bought from some 'good' store and paid cash!

That explains the discrepancy! (This excludes some unscrupulous people who use the forum just to buy cheap & sell high to newbies. But cant help that bcoz if there is a buyer, there will be a seller)

How about with my initial embossed on it? Can i jack the price? Special Edition le. Only me have it because my initial on it.:dent:

Could also be that some factor in some bargaining by the buyer, and some lenses perhaps are difficult to get new as they out of stock?.........

HS

the question: Why is Canon 2nd hand lens/body so expensive in CS?
the answer: because Canon 1st hand lens/body so expensive...

the question: Why is Canon 2nd hand lens/body so expensive in CS?
the answer: because Canon 1st hand lens/body so expensive...

and the next question: why is canon 3rd hand lens/body so expensive in CS? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.