why i tell myself to get 50-200zd

Status
Not open for further replies.
drektster said:
i think, the reason for such high mark up is needed so that people will buy from retailer rather than olympus sg. the price they supply might be very low. thats up to how much the retailer wants to sell the lenses. there is another reason for such high price, olympus is not really keen in singapore market.

why should they foicus on this dot when they can focus on larger market like PRC?

if you notice, not many retailers are keen in taking in the stocks too.

looking at all others brands, lenses are well circulated in the market and olympus is not. however the new bodies are more pricely tag compare to olympus too.

the strategy is simple, olympus is trying to make more people own their camera. (but still more expensive compare to other countries, but it is lower priced compare to other brand in singapore)

Well, then i must go over and buy liao.
2nd mo coming up...stay tuned.

ch5800 said:
bariq said:
original.jpg

shot with E300 + 50mm - courtesy kk san
MG! The power of 50mm in your hand!
How close r u to this alient? I always wonder how your guys take macro of these
flying insect? pay them food to keep still for you? :think:

Wonder how is the new 35mm/F3.5 compared to this masterpiece

How does the 50-200 compare with this?

An example from myfourthirds.com, 50-200mm wth EX-25, shot handheld at f3.5, ISO 100:

Newbee_4.jpg

one other reason for the highly price might show that singapore is no longer the regional distribution centre.

as country in the regional countries are improving their logistic industry goods can reach them easily compare to 10 years ago.

10 years back, brunei is selling at least 1.5 times singapore pricing but now they seem to be selling cheaper than singapore.

if the price of a lens is 500 sgd more than in the states you can buy a ticket to the states for it. if you take it out of the trip . it worth ever cent to go to the states with sgd300. excluding accomodation.

Dear all,

Acutally buying in the US is not cheap, if you fly down to New York, and buy from B & H, you will pay USD 850 + the outrages New York 8.43% tax - USD921.655(SGD1566.813). You can't claim the tax back at the airports. This is a state tax. Furthermore, you can't get the rebate because you need to have a US mailing address, and need to wait another 2 months to receive the 100 rebate.

I bought mine in CP at freaking SGD 1850 (March 2005). Day light robbery, SUCKERS.
:angry:

It was not a good deal, since I was doing an exchange and I had to close the deal at that price. :thumbsd:

So I think as of now, at SGD 1700++, it is actually OK to buy it. :think:

50-200 has ED elements thus of the price. Buy it and shoot as often as possible. Don't keep it in the safe(dry box). The image it produce is better than the 14-54mm and more versatile than the 50mm because of the zoom.

Although there is no IS/VR, I always shoot with a tripod, with mirror lock and cable release.

Add a 1.4X tele, max range will 560 and minus I think 1 stop.

I don't think OLY will come out with any more new lens at this range. 50-200 is in the 2nd tier. If they do ever come out another similar lens on their 1st tier, it will be out of most peoples' reach. The 90-250 is USD 6000. :bigeyes:

SO BUY BUY BUY:devil: You will never regret it, that is if you use it enough. Don't worry there is the 1 year warranty. Get some dust in the lens, shoot in the rain. But remember to send it in before warranty expires.

I wanted to sell all my gears earlier on because, I could not wait any longer for OLY to come out with a faster focusing and better noise controlled camera.

But that has change with the D200, I don't have to sell my OLY anymore.

hammer_400 said:
concert can bring in camera?

if s'pore concerts, P&S cam is ok....
DSLR sometime can, sometime cannot....

noelleong said:
But that has change with the D200, I don't have to sell my OLY anymore.

can elaborate more? dun quite get what u mean. why with the D200 u r not selling anymore? got adaptor to use Oly lens on Nikon bodies?? can MF/AF & control aperture?? :dunno:

thx for the info on purchasing in US. :)

Initially I wanted to sell my OLY to fund the purchase of the D2X + 70-200 Vr + 17-55DX.

But with the D200 out, I am able to do so because of the lower price plus I can still keep my OLY.

Anyway, if E-3 is announce at PMA 2006, and the focusing is good, I might dropped the Nikon idea entirely.

I hope OLY invest into their focusing module, whatever they want to name it (USM, SilentWave for Can, and Nik respectively) but they better come up with something comparable if they want to take a share in the Pro market.

My comments are:
1) Zuiko lens quality is on par or better.
2) Sensor not that great at high ISO, but stunning at ISO 100.
3) Camera handling and body design is great.
4) Focusing is a bit slow.

As for adapter, there are one for Nikon F Lens A, AI, AIS, AF, for USD 175. All manual focusing.

noelleong said:
Anyway, if E-3 is announce at PMA 2006, and the focusing is good, I might dropped the Nikon idea entirely.

As for adapter, there are one for Nikon F Lens A, AI, AIS, AF, for USD 175. All manual focusing.

i feel the Oly focus is good, as in accurate, no back focus/front focus issues. slow is a fact but u need to see what u r willing to compromise, speed vs accuracy.

if u can wait till PMA next year, u may also want to put Canon in the list. i feel they have something up their sleeve to surprise us all. :) even if the E3 is announced, it won't be on sale for a few months to come, can u wait that long?

yes, i m using the Nikon F adaptor. :) can't touch the newer G lenses but what the heck...

From wat i understand, the 4/3 is optimised for it 4/3 sensor(a little smaller) so wat are the chances of it being compatitable with other lens and adaptor? When like nikon's lens is optimised for their bigger sensor.

And they definately planning something in the Future, <<<some of u may have read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.