Why I Hate Nikon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ztsen

May 2, 2004
Singapore
calvintsen.fotopic.net
After many years of supporting Nikon, finally come to a conclusion that why I hate Nikon.

I have used Nikon from F80 to D70. Thinking of getting a D700 but no longer in my buying list. Nikon camera don't last. I still can recall my F80 metering system faulty and cost SGD200+ to repair. Now after long time didn't use since I bought D70, the rubber material became sticky or start to melt. My camera is free from fungus and all the while I put in dry box, sayang like baby.

Let's come and see what My F80 can do now:

w_8190407.jpg

Stunning right, our Nikon center said can be repair, another cost as below:

F80
CAMERA BACK LOCK RELEASE COVER - $5
GRIP COVER - $9
BACK DOOR UNIT (Normal) - $45
EXTERNAL BACK DOOR BODY (with bottom 1 button) - $18
EXTERNAL BACK DOOR BODY (with bottom 2 button) - $18
General Servicing - $80
Total charges for F80 rubbers - $168 inclusive of GST.

I was thinking this film camera next time can show my children how papa take photo last time without advance technology. You can see when I try to clean up, the rubber stain all around the back.

w_8190404.jpg

And the best part is my D70 also start to have such symptom, not til sticky but you can feel it. So continue to be die hard? or only those high end model can really last?

Lucky nothing wrong to my 2 x F2.8 lens. If not really heavy damage.

Unhappy Nikonian.

Now after long time didn't use since I bought D70, the rubber material became sticky or start to melt.

I believe all cams will suffer the same fate if not use for a long time :)

Actually I had a F80 before and it had the same problem, I think its the material. canon uses plastic so does not have this issue. This is one thing I never understood about nikon also, the material is not meant for a humid country like singapore.

This is probably because the "fake leather" material is PVC. My dad's Minolta 5000 had the same problem and later the "leather" texture all peeled off. It is not just Nikon. It happens to a lot of products. Back then, it was the fashion to get this texture, and all these product companies had no idea the material will degrade and get so bad. Now they know, that's why nowadays, you do not really see imitation leather on camera bodies anymore. I will avoid any products with imitation leather type of material, especially if you want the keep the products for a long time.

Last edited:
oh gosh, what do you expect man, you want a camera that lasts and cost nothing to repair. If you really want a never-say-die body, you shouldnt have got the f80 in the first place, there are many brilliant models that nikon made that work great till today. Try the FM2 or the F5.

Regarding the cost nothing to repair, i dont think you'll find anything any time soon, so just continue hating nikon...

I believe all cams will suffer the same fate if not use for a long time :)

Not true in my case. I have a F401x bought in 1995, used it a few years then left it under my bed for almost 10 yrs collecting mold and dust until half a year ago i took it for a service and it is brand new again. Nothing of sorts as mentioned by TS happen to the plastic or anything else for that matter.

Did you take many good memories with the cam? If yes I guess it's not Nikon you should hate but the environment you live in:nono:

No, it is not imitation leather. It is a rubberized coating for better feel and grip. My Nikon F90 SLR, Sigma 70-210mm f2.8 (both 16 years old) and my Compaq notebook (6 years old) suffer the same fate too. What I do is to remove the coating away. However, the surface become smooth finish.

Hi,

Unfortunately, this was an issue with that generation of bodies. I have a F90X that also faced material degeneration at the film back area especially where it freq. contacts the face/ nose etc. Had it repaired years ago and its been ok since. Nikon learnt their lessons and stopped using that particular formulation.

Not true in my case. I have a F401x bought in 1995, used it a few years then left it under my bed for almost 10 yrs collecting mold and dust until half a year ago i took it for a service and it is brand new again. Nothing of sorts as mentioned by TS happen to the plastic or anything else for that matter.

Did you take many good memories with the cam? If yes I guess it's not Nikon you should hate but the environment you live in:nono:

I own a Nikon F401 SLR and this camera do not have this coating. Mine like new too.

I own a Nikon F401 SLR and this camera do not have this coating. Mine like new too.

I also have a F401!
but fungus growing.. dunno if i should clean it.. using a dSLR now already

Hate is wasting energy. To comfort you a bit let me tell you that Canon bodies are also not free of this "sticky feature". My EOS5 (film body) has the same issue with sticky grip. After cleaning and drying I just applied some powder and since then it's fine (now about 4 months).

I guess the prob is not nikon, is singapore, like what Nikonnew said.

Nonetheless, if you dont use something for very long, it will degrade in a form or another. Books leave long will turn yellow, shoes leave long will crack and tear, computer leave long will short circuit, handphone leave long will just spoil for no good reason, bike leave long will rust, car leave long cannot start and so on......

True, if something can withstand time and be as good as new, that is true quality, but in our practical world, its not practical to make everything to last long. Everything should be replaced after a period of time, phone, tv, computer, car, home, girlfriends, wives, and or beloved cameras :D

My F100 also got this problem .I bought it for $2000+ but just use for few time cause change to digital camera. Recently I take out from my dry box, I encounter this problem ,very very bad

Ha! what makes you think only nikon has that problem?

My Canon Eos 50E systhetic rubber deteriorate so badly, it can stick to the wall if I press hard enough.:bsmilie:

My Nikon F401 however, is also trouble free in this aspect.

you wan something to last forever, and not degrade ANY SINGLE BIT,

please go buy DIAMONDS instead.

you can run them over with a car and they just dun scratch. i think that is wat you are looking for.

my eos50 is still ok, & I wish can convert it to digital!!!:bigeyes::bsmilie:

oh, btw, my sister had a sigma zoom compact (flim) camera with rubbery coat, it melted too...not sure if it contacted with any chemical, e.g. solvent etc....

Last edited:
I wonder whether Leica have this problem.

btw how to remove the "stickiness" from the rubber-like material ?

Status
Not open for further replies.