Why Gitzo will always be better made than Manfrotto

Owned Gitzo, Manfrotto & Benro,

Went for the Gitzo at last, for its ease of deployment and adjustment in tripod legs on the go. I am able to unlock the legs of my Gitzo with just 2 fingers in contrast to my former benro requiring the full grip of my palm. Not something serious, however, when I'm shooting I love my gear to work effortlessly for me, so that I can focus on the shot more..

As some has mentioned, the incremental leap from a medium end tripod (i.e. Benro & Manfrotto) to Gitzo is very marginal when you benchmark it against the premium you pay for, however if you use your gear frequent enough, I would say the enjoyments you're paying is well worth it.

Owned Gitzo, Manfrotto & Benro,

Went for the Gitzo at last, for its ease of deployment and adjustment in tripod legs on the go. I am able to unlock the legs of my Gitzo with just 2 fingers in contrast to my former benro requiring the full grip of my palm. Not something serious, however, when I'm shooting I love my gear to work effortlessly for me, so that I can focus on the shot more..

As some has mentioned, the incremental leap from a medium end tripod (i.e. Benro & Manfrotto) to Gitzo is very marginal when you benchmark it against the premium you pay for, however if you use your gear frequent enough, I would say the enjoyments you're paying is well worth it.

I can release all 3 legs in one hit on my old Manfrotto tripods with 1 finger, and from start to finish have it levelled on any terrain in under 3 seconds from the start of deployment. Your system is slow and cumbersome in comparison .. NEXT!

Note the clause: In here ONLY compare Gitzo & Manfrotto for Photo tripod : [Carbon Fibre Series] lastest model. Exclude other brand(s) like Sachtler, etc since the Thread Title: "Why Gitzo will always be better made than Manfrotto"
Then stop making Bull$hit claims about Gitzo being the best tripods made.

Thats good to hear.
Its unfortunate my experience from manfrotto wasn't as satisfying as what you have expressed. 3 seconds from start is admirable, Possibly we may have different photographical applications, I would take a longer time, probably 30 secs on avr to find me my ideal configuration.

I can release all 3 legs in one hit on my old Manfrotto tripods with 1 finger, and from start to finish have it levelled on any terrain in under 3 seconds from the start of deployment. Your system is slow and cumbersome in comparison .. NEXT!

Thats good to hear.
Its unfortunate my experience from manfrotto wasn't as satisfying as what you have expressed. 3 seconds from start is admirable, Possibly we may have different photographical applications, I would take a longer time, probably 30 secs on avr to find me my ideal configuration.
More than likely they are very different applications as I spent 12 years in warzones and covering other tragedies world wide, and a lot of other time up the sides of mountains, doing crime desk, social pages (boring) and general newsdesk as well as a lot of sports (4 Olympics, 3 Commonwealth Games and I shudder to think how many cricket and rugby matches at all levels and I'd not even like to consider the number of commercial shoots ranging from small product to ship launches, studio work and aerial photography.

Gitzo have never cut it for me. They aren't that well constructed in reality, their standard of workmanship is no better than any of the professional grade Manfotto tripods and though prettier who gives a monkeys about how it looks, it's how it works that interests me.

When I need a seriously solid non Sachtler tripod I use a Manfrotto 058B Triaut which at 6.3kg or so for the legset alone is not for the faint hearted, but it is a damn sight more stable in high wind conditions than *any* Gitzo I've owned (I've owned around a dozen Gitzo's over the years) or for mountain work at lower altitudes I'll dig out the trusty Benbo bent bolt tripod which requires serious skill to set up but is by far and away the most versatile tripod ever built and that includes Sachtler, Miller and the other top end tripods.

Then stop making Bull$hit claims about Gitzo being the best tripods made.

If you compare ALL brands Photo tripod: Carbon Fibre series, Gitzo nor Manfrotto will never be the best tripods.

But if you consider ONLY have Gitzo and Manfrotto Photo tripod, Carbon Fibre series.
(ALL lastest series & models to compare)
Which one is better?

If you compare ALL brands Photo tripod: Carbon Fibre series, Gitzo nor Manfrotto will never be the best tripods.

But if you consider ONLY have Gitzo and Manfrotto Photo tripod, Carbon Fibre series.
Which one is better?

i don't see any fair comparison here. Compare model to model? or compare price to price? Just a simple example: compare Manfrotto 055CX3 and Gitzo 1541T; the 1541T is almost double the price of 055CX3 yet the 055CX3 is more sturdy than the Gitzo (my own opinion, I own both).

The only good thing bout my 1541T is its light; and I can't find a lighter tripod than the Gitzo. As an overall assessment, I'll still rank the 055CX3 higher than the 1541T, both for value and for performance. :bsmilie:

Which one is better?

For me, Manfrotto.

That's only at least the third time I've had to say it.

I stress again, that's FOR ME. And no, mine is an old version not the latest greatest Manfrotto. Amazingly not just does a Manfrotto support my camera but even one of these long outdated and obsolete things.

But, for you to claim unequivocably that Gitzo > Manfrotto in all areas except price is just plain silly.

Which one is better?
hi, you very bored.

most people have better things to do. kthxbai.

hi
just my 2 cent worth

i think is down to a personal preference which to get as only you know wad's best for your type of photography.

unless you want to talk abt value for $$ then i suppose gitzo isnt justifiable for just having a plain simple tripod to hold ur camera still.

i owned a gitzo and tried my friend's manfrotto.
i agree with "you get wad you pay". Gitzo the quality is definitely better compared to manfrotto of the same counterpart.

Really....it comes down to a personal choice~

=)

More than likely they are very different applications as I spent 12 years in warzones and covering other tragedies world wide, and a lot of other time up the sides of mountains, doing crime desk, social pages (boring) and general newsdesk as well as a lot of sports (4 Olympics, 3 Commonwealth Games and I shudder to think how many cricket and rugby matches at all levels and I'd not even like to consider the number of commercial shoots ranging from small product to ship launches, studio work and aerial photography.

Gitzo have never cut it for me. They aren't that well constructed in reality, their standard of workmanship is no better than any of the professional grade Manfotto tripods and though prettier who gives a monkeys about how it looks, it's how it works that interests me.

When I need a seriously solid non Sachtler tripod I use a Manfrotto 058B Triaut which at 6.3kg or so for the legset alone is not for the faint hearted, but it is a damn sight more stable in high wind conditions than *any* Gitzo I've owned (I've owned around a dozen Gitzo's over the years) or for mountain work at lower altitudes I'll dig out the trusty Benbo bent bolt tripod which requires serious skill to set up but is by far and away the most versatile tripod ever built and that includes Sachtler, Miller and the other top end tripods.

I used to LOVE watching people try to use my Benbo!

The look on their faces when they loosen the bolt - PRICELESS! :bsmilie:

I used to LOVE watching people try to use my Benbo!

The look on their faces when they loosen the bolt - PRICELESS! :bsmilie:

u got benbo mah?:eek:

anyway, will be testing tripod stability 055pro + gitzo basalt 1 series together with 488rc0 + q3t with peterpan1975 this sat. u want join? we dont have lens that uses tripod collar. can bring ur 70-200?

who else interested?

I had the largest one - a long time ago.

Can only lend you me Manny 028 or the giant Gitzo. Also have the largest Mamiya CF if you're interested.

not those heavy tipot, maybe ur fubar ballhead?

anyone interested? still looking for a 70-200 or long lens with tipot caller.

Last edited:
Aiyoh! I was just about to PM you cos just remember sumtink.

Sure, you can have the furrybah, or if you want a super-solid head, take my Gyozo 3-way lah. If you want a QR feature, I'll just attach the furrybah plate to the Gyozo. Works like a charm!

Hey! Use your Larsian 300mm to test bah.