Why Full Frame Camera?

loveko

Jul 12, 2010
Yishun
Sorry if there's already a thread like this.
But I want to know why most of us choose full frame camera? or most of us wants to upgrade into full frame?
And we know very well that some lenses cannot support with full frame bodies, while crop bodies can support any type of lens as long as it's canon mount.
And majority all good lens for full frame bodies is not that cheap.

I have own few fullframe bodies since i start shooting.
I try canon 5D mark II with full frame lens like 17-40L, 16-35 f2.8L, 70-200f2.8L and other prime lenses but nothing much difference when i used my 40D or 50D.
I notice that the image i have taken from 5d2 and 40D during day time with same lenses got almost the same quality except for the wide angle and iso which 5d2 makes a winner. I never used hd video at all, im into purely photograpy.

Perhaps, some of our experts here can explain what are the advantages for getting full frame camera?
For me, i want full frame camera cos i love to take landscape which photos can go wider, and iso can go higher without sacrificing too much noise which is very usefull in low light evironment.

i dont own a FF. but for me better iso abt 2 stops than crop frame is enough reason for me to upgrade. Add on better bokeh becoz its bigger sensor. maybe some just want to show they are a pro. tt's all i can think of.

Sorry if there's already a thread like this.

There are many. Both here and all over the web. Please, a lot of members already contributed a lot in those threads, respect their contributions by reading the previous threads instead of creating yet another duplicate thread.

Add on better bokeh becoz its bigger sensor. maybe some just want to show they are a pro. tt's all i can think of

Incorrect, you don't get "better bokeh".

i dont own a FF. but for me better iso abt 2 stops than crop frame is enough reason for me to upgrade. Add on better bokeh becoz its bigger sensor. maybe some just want to show they are a pro. tt's all i can think of.

Maybe you are correct, others wans only to show tat they are using pro camera it's like upgrading iphones just only only for show.

There are many. Both here and all over the web. Please, a lot of members already contributed a lot in those threads, respect their contributions by reading the previous threads instead of creating yet another duplicate thread.

My apology, but I have search and read outside forums but i can't find a better answer so that the reason i have sell away my canon 5D2 and keep my canon 40D.

actually, at the same focal length, dof is the same..

At the same FOV, dof is different because on a ff, it need a longer FL to have the same FOV as a crop sensor.

At the same FOV, dof is different because on a ff, it need a longer FL to have the same FOV as a crop sensor.

What is FOV, dof? what does it means? pls explain further.

DOF: Depth of field, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field
FOV: Field of view, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view#Photography

Wikipedia and google are my good friend. they may not be the most trustworthy, but they are always a good start in understanding almost anything. So make them your good friend too. :D

I own a full frame and a cropped body. I find the image from full frame is so much better than cropped body. The only thing i find advantage is cropped body is lighter to travel around. I won't sell off the Full frame for sure.

DOF has multiple factors: aperture, focal length, sensor size, distance to subject. So your statement is only correct if all other factors remain the same as well. But then.. what's your point?

DOF has multiple factors: aperture, focal length, sensor size, distance to subject. So your statement is only correct if all other factors remain the same as well. But then.. what's your point?

Oh.. Thanks for clarifying and further elaborating i was too quick to reply and forgot about the circle of confusion element. i was actually replying to a fellow bro. :D

You mentioned you searched forums for answers but you never encountered FOV and DOF? You used FF and cropped and yet you dunno the difference between the FOV and DOF between the 2 sensor sizes?

FaiNtZzzzz

To add another link: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm (includes a DOF calculator, something the Apple fanboys can also load on their mobile phone..)
TS: If you want to explore full frame from the point of DOF and wide angle possibilities you can still get an older film body, mount your lenses (ok, EF-S is out then) and go shooting. But for a proper assessment I suggest you rent a FF body for a weekend and do your own tests.

Only know that the full frame camera got 1:1 ratio and the non full frame got 1.3x, 1.4x etc.
But i dunno technical terms.. Hehe im not really into serious photography. Only hobbyiest and atleast basic know how on taking photos.
You mentioned you searched forums for answers but you never encountered FOV and DOF? You used FF and cropped and yet you dunno the difference between the FOV and DOF between the 2 sensor sizes?

FaiNtZzzzz

Have a look at this test, http://artaphot.ch/dslrs/302-aps-c-vs-full-frame-2 . At 100%, the A900 with a cheap zoom is better than the A700 with the CZ 24-70. Remember this is at 100% so it is large. Therefore, if you intend to print large, the FF will have the advantage.

My experience with the Leica DMR, a 1.37x 10 mpx CCD digital back also points to the advantage of FF, if you intend to print large. The prints at A2 size looked excellent. Later I changed to the A850 and converted the R lenses to alpha mounts. With the A850, 24mpx FF printed at A2 the quality is similar to the DMR, but at A1, the A850 is better, especially in the retention of fine details. The DMR just ran out of mpx. Of course, with FF, I retained the original angle of views with the wide angle lenses. This was one of the reasons I changed to FF.

N.S. Ng

http://nns555.zenfolio.com

Have a look at this test, http://artaphot.ch/dslrs/302-aps-c-vs-full-frame-2 . At 100%, the A900 with a cheap zoom is better than the A700 with the CZ 24-70. Remember this is at 100% so it is large. Therefore, if you intend to print large, the FF will have the advantage.

My experience with the Leica DMR, a 1.37x 10 mpx CCD digital back also points to the advantage of FF, if you intend to print large. The prints at A2 size looked excellent. Later I changed to the A850 and converted the R lenses to alpha mounts. With the A850, 24mpx FF printed at A2 the quality is similar to the DMR, but at A1, the A850 is better, especially in the retention of fine details. The DMR just ran out of mpx. Of course, with FF, I retained the original angle of views with the wide angle lenses. This was one of the reasons I changed to FF.

N.S. Ng

http://nns555.zenfolio.com

Interesting test. but the method is kinda flawed. 12mp stretched into 24mp? no wonder it makes the a700 looks bad. :D