Why film cameras doesn't have LCD?


Status
Not open for further replies.

revenant

New Member
Apr 8, 2002
1,101
0
0
33
collinyeo.blogspot.com
#3
Oh I'm refering to the LCD that shows the current scene. bla, don't know how to describe but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about ;)
 

#4
Originally posted by revenant
Oh I'm refering to the LCD that shows the current scene. bla, don't know how to describe but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about ;)
Of coz I do, I was just having a little fun. :)

If you are talking about a live preview LCD like most consumer digicams, it's not quite possible as there's a shutter and mirror in the SLR, and other than having a semi-transparent mirror like the E-10, you can't really have a CCD to capture the image and send to the LCD.

Regards
CK
 

revenant

New Member
Apr 8, 2002
1,101
0
0
33
collinyeo.blogspot.com
#5
Originally posted by ckiang


Of coz I do, I was just having a little fun. :)

If you are talking about a live preview LCD like most consumer digicams, it's not quite possible as there's a shutter and mirror in the SLR, and other than having a semi-transparent mirror like the E-10, you can't really have a CCD to capture the image and send to the LCD.

Regards
CK
What's the shutter and mirror in the SLR? Don't know these.....

How about normal P&S Film Camera?
 

denizenx

Senior Member
Feb 1, 2002
4,058
0
0
41
L2TPYSG
Visit site
#6
if u have a film camera where shd the LCD go? should it have its own lens? or shd it be part of the shutter+mirror in an SLR?
LCD a heavy chip u know... and having a LCD display would require a simple CCD to "see", which then wd defeat the SLR, and add more cost to a compact.

currently good zoom compacts are same priced as cheap digicams... so add them up wd u get the middle-ranged digicam price WITHOUT being a digicam?
 

007

New Member
Apr 11, 2002
692
0
0
u n k n o w n
Visit site
#7
Originally posted by revenant


What's the shutter and mirror in the SLR? Don't know these.....

How about normal P&S Film Camera?
simple enough mah. it is because P&S or SLR film camera they use negative leh. If you want to view the images through LCD, the image capture devices should be placed before or after the negative? If you add it before the negative, how are you going to let the light passes through the device? If you put it after the negative, the device must be very sensitive to light! It is impossible! even though it is possible, it is a redundance function.
 

roygoh

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
5,011
0
0
Northwest
Visit site
#8
Maybe this is a patentable idea (now that I have disclosed it here, then there goes the patent possibilities, right?).....

Imagine an SLR with a CCD located where the focusing screen is.

Now you can have an electronic view finder as well as an external LCD for your composition.

The beauty of this is, the photographer can actually choose to shoot either digitally or on film, using the same camera body!

Of course there will be a lot of technical difficulties to achieve this, but if this can be dome, there might be a niche market for it.

What do you think?

- Roy;)
 

denizenx

Senior Member
Feb 1, 2002
4,058
0
0
41
L2TPYSG
Visit site
#9
haha roy I was there already ;p ;p
that's why I said SLR design is made redundant if u replace it with a CCD... both TTL

and if u have a good CCD then u have a dual film+digicam (woohoo reala + CF?), but if u have a cheap low-res CCD the SLR is better off.. also ur batts wd die like 3 hours vs 30 rolls...

LOL how about having a super high-res LCD in the camera to imprint the image onto film, vs direct TTL? with this AWB and AISO is possible and u can use any speed film u want!
 

Fundee

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
727
0
0
UP NORTH
Visit site
#10
Originally posted by denizenx

LOL how about having a super high-res LCD in the camera to imprint the image onto film, vs direct TTL? with this AWB and AISO is possible and u can use any speed film u want!
wahhh !!!!
very good leh....at least can erase before imprint to film...:gbounce:
who knows maybe NIKON F7 or CANON EOS 2...
 

#13
Originally posted by roygoh
Maybe this is a patentable idea (now that I have disclosed it here, then there goes the patent possibilities, right?).....

Imagine an SLR with a CCD located where the focusing screen is.

Now you can have an electronic view finder as well as an external LCD for your composition.

The beauty of this is, the photographer can actually choose to shoot either digitally or on film, using the same camera body!

Of course there will be a lot of technical difficulties to achieve this, but if this can be dome, there might be a niche market for it.

What do you think?

- Roy;)
Nice concept, but hey, I hate EVFs. Give me an optical TTL viewfinder anytime. :D

Regards
CK
 

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
45
singapore
www.larryloh.com
#14
just a point, films have to be developed before they can be seen/printed. so technically it's not possible to view the film via LCD unless the camera can develop on the spot.

also, i think it's a bit redundant for a CCD to imprint the image onto film, instead of direct shooting onto the film via the optics. very roundabout way of doing it. also i think there'll be a loss in terms of quality?
 

Oct 6, 2002
162
0
16
Singapore
Visit site
#15
Originally posted by roygoh
Maybe this is a patentable idea (now that I have disclosed it here, then there goes the patent possibilities, right?).....

Imagine an SLR with a CCD located where the focusing screen is.

Now you can have an electronic view finder as well as an external LCD for your composition.

The beauty of this is, the photographer can actually choose to shoot either digitally or on film, using the same camera body!

Of course there will be a lot of technical difficulties to achieve this, but if this can be dome, there might be a niche market for it.

What do you think?

- Roy;)
there's already such thing as an clip on module for those flim based camera on the back of the camera to make it a digital camera. So, from the other way, it's definitely possible. Only thing is, is it feasible?
 

YSLee

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,326
1
38
Visit site
#16
Originally posted by beluga

there's already such thing as an clip on module for those flim based camera on the back of the camera to make it a digital camera. So, from the other way, it's definitely possible. Only thing is, is it feasible?
Is there one? Not vapourware known as Siliconfilm, please...
 

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
45
singapore
www.larryloh.com
#17
Originally posted by YSLee
Is there one? Not vapourware known as Siliconfilm, please...
mabbe beluga was referring to the Kodak digital back which they tailor-make for the DCS series of SLRs, like the DCS760, etc. although those are not really clip-on, more like complete overhaul...
 

#18
Originally posted by Larry
just a point, films have to be developed before they can be seen/printed. so technically it's not possible to view the film via LCD unless the camera can develop on the spot.

also, i think it's a bit redundant for a CCD to imprint the image onto film, instead of direct shooting onto the film via the optics. very roundabout way of doing it. also i think there'll be a loss in terms of quality?
Yes.

Subject -> Lens -> CCD -> Image Processor -> LCD -> Some sort of projection -> Film

How convulated. And how, you have a film camera whose quality ALSO depends on CCD and image processor as well as the film and lens.... I wouldn't want one.

On the same note, such cameras ARE available. In the states, Kodak has (or used to have) a Advantix APS camera with a LCD. No live preview, but shows you what has been captured on film, so if you don't like what you see, you can waste another frame and shoot again. Silly, I'd say.

Regards
CK
 

Knighthunter

Senior Member
Sep 13, 2002
958
0
16
44
Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
#19
Actually there is one 35mm Camera using optional LCD monitor....It's Contax N1 the only AF camera that can use Carl Zeiss T* lenses.
Click Here
Or you can check it out at Contax website.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom