Why EOS450 is more expensive than nikon D60

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercy81

Nov 4, 2008
Hi guys,
I have been deciding between these 2 models as i am a beginner.
The canon EOS450 kit costs around 1150 while the nikon D60 kit costs around 880.

I am tempted to get the cheaper one although the difference is around 170 bucks, i heard the d60 is incompaitable with certain lens. AF lens or whatever i am unsure. Other than that , both reviews are good.

Can some one please advise? Any users of these 2 models? Argh.. unsure which to buy.

Thanks.:dunno:

Does the D60 kit comes with dual lens kit? If yes, it may be a better buy if u are on budget. why not 2nd hand D80? or top up a bit more for D90?

Personally i would go for 450D, live view, 12Mpixel, My menu, compatibility with all canon lenses.

Hi guys,
I have been deciding between these 2 models as i am a beginner.
The canon EOS450 kit costs around 1150 while the nikon D60 kit costs around 880.

I am tempted to get the cheaper one although the difference is around 170 bucks, i heard the d60 is incompaitable with certain lens. AF lens or whatever i am unsure. Other than that , both reviews are good.

Can some one please advise? Any users of these 2 models? Argh.. unsure which to buy.

Thanks.:dunno:

reason why D60 is cheaper is because it being deliberately made in such it doesn't have a built in motor...thereforth except for af-s and swm lens nikon, all other lens would require u to manual focus.
Even so it is a castrated machine in some way tks to nikon popularity, all 3rd manufacterers incorprate motor in the lens for it.so u dun have to worry

The D60 comes with 1 kit lens 18-55, they offer dual kit lens with 55-250 for $1110.

Haha tight budget leh i hope i dun spend more than 1.2k.

Oh now u mention about live view, i think D60 no live view.

Thanks.

have you factored in the cost for a dry cabinet to keep your camera?
how about tripod or bag?

The D60 comes with 1 kit lens 18-55, they offer dual kit lens with 55-250 for $1110.

Haha tight budget leh i hope i dun spend more than 1.2k.

Oh now u mention about live view, i think D60 no live view.

Thanks.

I'll probably get flak for this, but I believe Live view should not be a main consideration in your selection of DSLR.

the specs? ;p

My friends has an old dry box, i read in the forum that using a tupperware with silica gel is sufficient to keep it dry? i am on a tight budget, so is it ok if i use the old dry box and place silica gel inside to keep it dry..

Haha so EOS 450 or D60, what are u guys vote if u are a newbie any hunting for a camera like me ..

My friends has an old dry box, i read in the forum that using a tupperware with silica gel is sufficient to keep it dry? i am on a tight budget, so is it ok if i use the old dry box and place silica gel inside to keep it dry..

Haha so EOS 450 or D60, what are u guys vote if u are a newbie any hunting for a camera like me ..

If your budget is 1.3k, factor in the necessary accessories first like a good drybox, cleaning kit, UV filter and memory cards. Then you'll notice your real budget for the camera is 1.1k thereabouts. Only then should you decide which camp to go to.

as you mention you are on the tight budget, i would reccomend you to get a good drybox / cabinet. so as to keep your camera fungus free. else if fungus arise. you need another budget for that.

Even though I am a diehard Nikon fan,
I would suggest 450D over D60.
But of course, if you ask D90 or 450D, my answer will be otherwise.

Wow thanks for all the feedback,
Guess i need to up my budget by around 200, by the way , i am going china shanghai during decmeber.. dun tell me i need to bring dry box there?!! omg ..
By the way mybearbrick , why did you choose 450D over D60, any feedback about these cams?

So it is inapporpiate to use tupper ware and silica gels lah sighz..
$$$$$...

Invest in a dry cabinet instead. You are concern about the few hundred dollars difference between the two camera bodies, all the more you should protect it well when you buy it.

Guess i need to up my budget by around 200, by the way , i am going china shanghai during decmeber.. dun tell me i need to bring dry box there?!! omg ..
By the way mybearbrick , why did you choose 450D over D60, any feedback about these cams?

$$$$$...

If you are using the camera day in and day out over in shanghai. The camera should be fine. Its long periods of inactivity that is conducive for fungus.

Even though I am a diehard Nikon fan,
I would suggest 450D over D60.
But of course, if you ask D90 or 450D, my answer will be otherwise.

Agreed. They cannot be compared on a same-level basis. The D60 sits below the 450D, which in turn, sits below the D90.

Agreed. They cannot be compared on a same-level basis. The D60 sits below the 450D, which in turn, sits below the D90.

Second that.

Though the D60 is a nice, fun-to-use camera... I'd prefer the 450D over it too :think:

$$$$$...

i do not own either, but I have tried both. I like 450D (CMOS) simply because of better noise control than D60 (CCD). D60 like their siblings D40/x do not aupport non-motor lenses, though you might not need it now or even later, still who wants to be handicapped at the start? I would rather use 1000D to compare to D60. so since u asked 450D vs D60, its 450D! After all, imo, Canon churns out pictures off the camera with richer and more vibrant colours! (doesn't bug me because I love shooting raw and taking them through a tedious workflow of post-processing).

when u see ur silica gels turn pink, you know that it has done its job and time to change.
thing is, i tried and silica beads turn pink after one day!
so i got a dry cabi and never looked back!
there are still many ppl who survived with drybox/tupperware-silica combo.
i agree with the rest, when u can spend on a DSLR, what is a dry-cabi? I think a 30L is around $110 (used to be $99)?
after all u wont want to save that little money (~ price of 5 CDs from HMV) and put your 1000+ equipment at risk lor!

If you are using the camera day in and day out over in shanghai. The camera should be fine. Its long periods of inactivity that is conducive for fungus.

i agree with ahbian. I got a friend who kept his prosumer in the camera box and box in the clothes cupboard. I am not surprised after one month, fungus sprawled all over his filter. Lucky is just filter and not the front element.

anyway since u getting brand new, don't have to worry! you have 1 year + 3 months warranty!!!

Is there a difference between dry box and dry cabinet, to me the cabinet is those big cupboards which cost quite a significant amount of $$. What is the price range i am looking at if i am getting 1 for just a camera kit set.
Please advise.
Thank you.

Is there a difference between dry box and dry cabinet, to me the cabinet is those big cupboards which cost quite a significant amount of $$. What is the price range i am looking at if i am getting 1 for just a camera kit set.
Please advise.
Thank you.

i suggest you get a bigger dry cabinet since you will surely get new lens next time

Please advise.
Thank you.

A dry box is just an airtight container. A dry cabinet is a unit with a powered dehumidifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.