Why DSLR cannot take movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Limsgp said:
A guess. For movies, the sensor has to do inline frame transfer, maybe reading 1 row of image data at a time, but this requires additional electonics and use up some space on the sensor which could be used to gather light. Since DSLR is meant to produce the best possible image quality, it does away with the "unnecessary" electronics and cannot do inline frame transfer. Instead it does "full frame transfer" where all image data is read "at once". Maybe a DSLR that can take movies is possible if it has a frame rate of 30 frames/sec.

As for the mirror blocking.. probably the mirror (and the optical viewfinder) would be unnecessary if the sensor can take movies (meaning "live view" is possible) and AF can use image data from the image sensor itself instead if the mirror is not there to block it?

Just a guess.

Then how those dig-cam do the video? Those video cam ccd/cmos also can do both... the does full-frame-transfer when a still pic is required.

IIOII said:
The reason i asked is you see all the consumers digi cam can record movies, yet the professional cams which cost much more does not, i think the pro cameras users is short change.

One thing i am dam sure, if they have movies functions on pro cameras, a lot of the pro camera users will become fantastic movie directors; if so many of you can take such beautiful pictures with the pro cams, imagine what you can do with a video camera!!!

There will be an explosion of short films with the best cinematic shots ever!!!

By the way, most pro cam users have the best lens for shooting movies than any video camera, and the sensor of most this camera is larger and better (resolution) than the old 8mm film or any other video format

You should have asked why F-1 cars can't fly. :sticktong

IIOII said:
The reason i asked is you see all the consumers digi cam can record movies, yet the professional cams which cost much more does not, i think the pro cameras users is short change.

One thing i am dam sure, if they have movies functions on pro cameras, a lot of the pro camera users will become fantastic movie directors; if so many of you can take such beautiful pictures with the pro cams, imagine what you can do with a video camera!!!

By the way, most pro cam users have the best lens for shooting movies than any video camera, and the sensor of most this camera is larger and better (resolution) than the old 8mm film or any other video format

I own a DSLR and I used it to take still photos only. My purpose of spending so much on a DSLR is to take still photos, not moving pictures. If I want to take videos, I would rather use a dedicated videocam for that, especially those that can take HD videos. If I want an all-in-one digital camera, one that can take still photos and videos etc etc, that means I'm not serious in any one of them, and I'm just using it for fun and snapshots only, I would certainly just get a cheap and small device for that, not a big chunky DSLR.

I do have an video cam, one that is more portable than my DSLR, but I have not used it for a very long time. Why? Because I hate to take videos. I would rather just take photos:sticktong

So what is my point? Those so call "pro digital camera" or DSLR are built for the purpose of taking still photographs and it is for those people who are more interested in taking photos. Even video cams have the pro series, for those who wants the best quality and control over their videos. And these people would certainly rather use a dedicated video cam to take videos, and not use an all-in-one digital camera.

IIOII said:

and My PHONE can shoot movie, play mp3 and photography puts IPOD, 1DSmk2 and Sony MiniDV Cams into shame! I can also fit my phone into my pocket!

Terence said:
How so? Please explain.
well, taking the example of the E330, for the longest time, people have been saying that it is impossible for DSLRs to have live preview, or if they have live preview, their picture quality would be CMI...but they were looking at it from the perspective of one possible solution only, that is, the camera's imaging chip has to be the one taking the live preview...that solution might still be possible in the future, but Olympus did it in another way, by adapting the light path to optical viewfinder and putting another imaging chip there to capture the live preview...now, people might say that this system does not allow AF and metering, but what's to stop someone from putting another AF and metering system in place? or maybe use a contrast detection system on the CCD for AF...or have a more sophisticated version of the split prism system as used in the Olympus E10 and E20...that allowed live preview and metering but using more advanced CCD or Cmos sensor...or any number of other ways that technology can come up with?...

it all boils down to how much it is going to cost, and how many people are willing to pay that cost to have that function...and I believe the TS is not the first person to ask this question...so if enough people ask for it, and the technology to build everything into an SLR type body is low enough that enough people are willing to buy such a product, then the camera companies would produce one...:)

If I am not wrong, E330 loses its autofocus once the mirror is up. How many of us video with manual focusing (even if we can see the real image) ?

ExplorerZ said:
y not? olympus e330 is one... just that it got additional sensor. my guess is they might even modify the sensor to capture movie instead of purely a live-preview sensor. but i doubt the video quality will be anywhere good.

haha.. you think DSLR owners, are short changed because P&S digicams have a movie function?

thanks... needed a laugh today.

i own a DSLR to make photographs. i couldnt give 2 hoots about movie ability. the last thing i want is for say canon to start adding extra mirrors and other complexity just to satisfy some stupid requirement to shoot 30 second clips. when their time and effort could be better spend on all the other far more desired wishlist items that photographers have been asking for.

something i never understood since child: if high speed videos have like 2-3k frames per seconds, it means that each frame can only have a max exposure of 1/2000 or 3000 sec. however, i rememeber seeing some night videos taken in documentary without a very bright light source. how do they do it? i thought of their ISO being very very high, but i dun seen any visible noise in the video. and about aperture, i think you need like 0.2 to get 1/2000 exposure in dark places. anybody mind explaining why?

heard from an IT friend of mine...if you take a single frame from a HD video cam and compare it with that of a single frame from a camera, the camera image's quality beats the HD video frame quality hands down..

theRBK said:
it all boils down to how much it is going to cost, and how many people are willing to pay that cost to have that function...and I believe the TS is not the first person to ask this question...so if enough people ask for it, and the technology to build everything into an SLR type body is low enough that enough people are willing to buy such a product, then the camera companies would produce one...:)

Certainly a possible way the technology will progress in the future. We should see more devices which combine several functions within one enclosure, much like how mobile phones are integrated with more features like video, still cameras etc... Will be a natural progression for higher end camera platforms to do the same. As we see are already beginning to see, manufacturers are in the infancy of integrating GPS and wireless technology in DSLRs, won't be long before such features might come as standards instead of addons. Video capability would be highly desirable.

I have been watching the trend of "digital still cameras and digital movie cameras" for some time.

I sell stills whilst next door (same building) they sell movie cameras.

I believe the two could have been much closer in spec for a couple of years... only it is not profitable !

Why would a company such as Can** produce a camera that takes great movies and 5mp stills with a good lense,

Thus halving their profit of selling 1 good movie camera with 1.3mp stills and 1 good 5mp still camera.

Hope this makes some sense to you.

If so. I think that now these companies are under more pressure from customers to produce a combined camera.

I believe we will see a DSLR/Movie camera that is about palm size in less than 3 years.

What do you think :think:

Cheers :0

Pablo said:
If so. I think that now these companies are under more pressure from customers to produce a combined camera.

I believe we will see a DSLR/Movie camera that is about palm size in less than 3 years.

I agree....but this will be those kinda PnS DSLRs.....The prosumer and pro bodies will still remain as they are right now.(Main and only function is photography)

With regards to size, I have some doubt about it being that small.

Functions wise, Possible, but it might not be that soon.:think:

anglim said:
If I am not wrong, E330 loses its autofocus once the mirror is up. How many of us video with manual focusing (even if we can see the real image) ?
true... but i believe very soon this problem will not be a problem anymore. technology is advancing so fast. just like e330 which came out with live view when everyone was still looking at their OVF and thinking of having more MP

1) Need a solid microphone to record sound, imagine a DSLR with a big microphone sticking out of the camera.

2) Video need huge storage imagine a 20G CF card

3) Port different etc etc...

kenele said:
1) Need a solid microphone to record sound, imagine a DSLR with a big microphone sticking out of the camera.

2) Video need huge storage imagine a 20G CF card

3) Port different etc etc...

1 .. You'd get Flash + Mic combo. (not very sure but Sony's video cam hotshoe can accomodate either a light or mic rite?)

2 .. tethered shooting currently used by MF/LF digital back.

3. Wat port... if digital..already converged to USB/FW ports already.

As mentioned, they provide movie mode and "real time display" at the expense of picture quality. Becasue some space that can be used to collect light is taken up by the additional electronics required to provide those function. That's why compact camera's picture quality can not match those of DSLRs, especially under low light condition.

Oly dslr doesn't use the main sensor for "live view". they use additional sensor, if I'm not wrong..

Regards

CYRN said:
Then how those dig-cam do the video? Those video cam ccd/cmos also can do both... the does full-frame-transfer when a still pic is required.

Limsgp said:
As mentioned, they provide movie mode and "real time display" at the expense of picture quality. Becasue some space that can be used to collect light is taken up by the additional electronics required to provide those function. That's why compact camera's picture quality can not match those of DSLRs, especially under low light condition.

Oly dslr doesn't use the main sensor for "live view". they use additional sensor, if I'm not wrong..

Regards

yes and no. they use both. mode A and mode B.

Maybe by then, would be alittle difficult to tell between premium compact digitals and DSLR ... issit a compact digital with interchangeable lens or mini-DSLR that takes movie.

Pablo said:
I have been watching the trend of "digital still cameras and digital movie cameras" for some time.

I sell stills whilst next door (same building) they sell movie cameras.

I believe the two could have been much closer in spec for a couple of years... only it is not profitable !

Why would a company such as Can** produce a camera that takes great movies and 5mp stills with a good lense,

Thus halving their profit of selling 1 good movie camera with 1.3mp stills and 1 good 5mp still camera.

Hope this makes some sense to you.

Cheers :0

Status
Not open for further replies.