Why don't you buy "grey" DSLR or lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE clicks clicks

Dec 5, 2005
The reason for buying "GREY" photograpic equipment (DSLR, Lenses, Flashgun etc) is rather obvious. The price is lower, and at times quite significant.
But what are the reasons that steer fellow CSers away from buying "GREY" sets? Just kind of curious.
Anybody wants to share their reasonings here ? Do bear in mind that everybody choice to buy or not to buy "GREY". So there is no right or wrong here.

Apart from Warranty Issue, I cannot see any reasons.

But then again, 2nd hand lenses doesn't normally have warranty anyways.

one question, if the grey lense has back/front focusing issues, who should i look for? canon or the shop?

The reason for buying "GREY" photograpic equipment (DSLR, Lenses, Flashgun etc) is rather obvious. The price is lower, and at times quite significant.
But what are the reasons that steer fellow CSers away from buying "GREY" sets? Just kind of curious.
Anybody wants to share their reasonings here ? Do bear in mind that everybody choice to buy or not to buy "GREY". So there is no right or wrong here.

Depends on how much cheaper the grey set is. If it's a whole lot cheaper, then why not. For example, the Sigma 24/1.8 I'm usong is grey. Unfortunately, there is front focus issue with it. I could have brought down to the shop but I was pressed for time, so I went down to Sigma and paid them to do the cal on the spot.

Bearing in mind that you may hsve to pay for the services rendered as there is no warranty. Unless the shop give shop warranty like TCW.

i will buy a grey product if its significantly cheaper than local sets. by which i mean the price different needs to be at least 30% lower than street price. If not, i will stick with local sets.

Depends on how much cheaper the grey set is. If it's a whole lot cheaper, then why not. For example, the Sigma 24/1.8 I'm usong is grey. Unfortunately, there is front focus issue with it. I could have brought down to the shop but I was pressed for time, so I went down to Sigma and paid them to do the cal on the spot.
how much would a calibration cost? just wondering if it's enough to offset the savings on a grey set

how much would a calibration cost? just wondering if it's enough to offset the savings on a grey set

I paid about $70 for the calibration because it was a prime. Zoom might cost more. Still it's cheaper plus the salesperson was kind enough to reimburse the calibration charge after knowing about it.

Camera manufacturers have been known to issue recalls about CCD problems, etc. And it does happen fairly often. Out of warranty replacement of such parts can be really expensive. Digital equipment these days aren't really made to last, IMHO, and the likelihood of something breaking down or malfunctioning within the first year is quite high.

The risk is a bit too high for me to take. The extra money I'm paying, I feel that I'm paying for a piece of mind. (But hey, money talks. If it's 30+% cheaper than local retail, then I would definitely seriously consider)

I bought one of my Nikon trinity lenses from Orient Photo. This lens cost more than $2K, and is a gray set. However, it comes with 1 year store warranty. It saved me $450. It has been 4 months and no problem so far (touch wood;p).

Why do people buy insurance?

Why are there no cameras insurance for consumers here in Singapore?

Why are there no cameras insurance for consumers here in Singapore?

There are travel insurances that cover damages to photographic equipment. I am currently a policy by AXA.

If there are more establish photography equipment servicing center or shop available then I think this trend will change...just like car....they are more and more people buying parallel import because spare parts and car servicing is no longer the main worry now :thumbsup:

If there are more establish photography equipment servicing center or shop available then I think this trend will change...just like car....they are more and more people buying parallel import because spare parts and car servicing is no longer the main worry now :thumbsup:

Camera Hospital is one such 'established' business. I go to Steven (the owner) if I have camera body or lens problems.

Emm, you got that thru your company or as a consumer individual?

Status
Not open for further replies.