Why does the Leica M9 cost US$6,995 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rendition

Jan 26, 2008
Singapore
www.visualverve.sg
This been itchin me and I've been trying to understand why. I know it's a legend, I know it's Leica... but really?... these 2 factors made the digital full-frame rangefinder costing US$6,995 ? Pardon me if I sound ignorant but...am very much clueless and curious. :bsmilie:

If anyone could shed some light, that'd be great.

Last edited:
It's actually making cameras like 1Ds Mark III or D3X sounding cheap if you compare - they give you more megapixels, have vertical grips, have what-you-see-what-you-get 100% VF, shoot at/more than 5fps... lol, the list goes on... you know what I mean.

The same reason why the Leica Digilux 4 costs a few times more than the LX3?

Why does vertu cost 10x the price of a nokia?

ei ei ei harlow, dun be like that leh. Geez, I am genuinely asking, hoping for a proper reply and here's the kind of answers you get in clubsnap now.. sad. Vertu and Nokia... woah kaoz. C'mon people... Seriously, if you do not know the answer, dun bother replying la, puhleeezeee....

Last edited:
for one, is the brand.
for two, people are willing to pay.
for three, although it is not directly visible, putting a FF into a rangefinder is not easy. the flange to sensor is a lot shorter compared to DSLR. quite a bit of work and special manufacturing requirements to ensure each photodiode is angled accurately to fit the m lenses. this is considered a major milestone for digital rangefinders. for a period of time, a lot of leica enthusiasts questioned if a FF in a rangefinder was possible.

offsetmicrolenses.gif

haa... don think there will ever be an answer to your question.
it's a very personal choice and perspective.
nobody is right or wrong to this moot question ;p
it's a philosophical question to me to be honest...

to me, cos of the red logo,

the pros of having a RF (no shutter, meaning no shutter lag, and very quiet) great to use incognito,

this is a great full frame digital RF (not m4/3 body eg G1,GH1)

and also because you never need to buy film, it's sleek, less hassle for those who love to use RF without needing to load, rewind and buy film but having the same grear system to shoot with.

leica users will understand:)

Can i add that holding is Leica is a very different feeling than holding your typical nikon/canon?

tho i must say that, while a lot is attributed to the branding, the Leica really is one awesome camera to hold.

Riiighhhttt... ai seh, so it's really just the primary the fact that it's Leica and that it's a FF rangefinder eh? Gosh, SGD10K...

Na man, any answer is an answer nonethless. To have a *beep* question as a come back... buay tahan.

it's a very personal choice and perspective.
nobody is right or wrong to this moot question ;p
it's a philosophical question to me to be honest...

erm its simply a question of marketing, branding, demand and cost of development. as this represents a new technology node, they have to consider how many units upon a reasonable timeframe to recoup the development costs. 2ndly, they also consider can the market absorb such a price?

importantly, if it is too cheap, they simply dilute the leica brand. if you listen to the leica's CEO words during his presentation, he compared leica to a luxury car or an expensive bottle of wine (1st growth chateau lafite rothschild anyone?). i believe he even said its not for normal consumer but someone with an acquired taste (like seal perhaps).

its similar to asking why a bmw doesnt cost same as honda, or why a 1st growth lafite cost 100x more than jacob's creek. its premium branding.

philosophical? nope...

Maybe it's me... unlike cars, timepieces, bags/purses etc., I just can't relate 'luxury' with tech stuff...

it's a luxury item. no point rationalizing luxury items.

people ask me why leica and not panasonic.
i tell them why LV and not braun buffel.
i tell them why patek phillipe and not casio.
then i tell because it is my money and i can afford it.

they keep quiet. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Maybe it's me... unlike cars, timepieces, bags/purses etc., I just can't relate 'luxury' with tech stuff...

i guess its also their high QC within their factory.

dpreview was invited to leica factory and gave an idea on manufacturing the S2. they mentioned that S3 is easier to calibrate and check due to it mainly electronic and AF but still took them 3hrs per camera. it can be easily understood that the work involved in rangefinders and their appropriate lenses to be even more work.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/leicafactory2009/page4.asp

all this is cost. sometimes we see complain or statements like canon/nikon isn't what it used to be. maybe if they put so much time into precise and detailed calibration, we will be paying this kind of price as well!

to me, cos of the red logo,

the pros of having a RF (no shutter, meaning no shutter lag, and very quiet) great to use incognito,

this is a great full frame digital RF (not m4/3 body eg G1,GH1)

RF no shutter meh? :think:

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.