Why does my dog...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimsim

May 22, 2004
District 12
...scratch the area which she will be sleeping on?

Anyone has experienced this phenomenon with their dogs?

Sometimes this scratching occurs at night and it can be quite disruptive to our rest.

During day times, she will also scratch our parquet flooring area before resting on the same spot.

Bizarre....anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks

Sometimes this scratching occurs at night and it can be quite disruptive to our rest.

During day times, she will also scratch our parquet flooring area before resting on the same spot.

Thanks

Doggie instinct. Just their way of preparing the place they want to lie on abit more comfy. It does not always work since hard tile or wooden flooring does not get soften but it does not stop certain breed of dogs from doing it (instinctively) more often then others. My family's former spanier does that but later our Australian silky does that once in a while too but the silky terrier we have now does not at all unless it is his rug that is given to it to sleep on in his sleeping enclosure. I am not sure how you could train it to do it less often though heheh...

What breed is it? Does it have it's own sleeping area with a soft rug or something. That might help as each time it want to lie down it will go to it and scratch that rug which is alot more quieter heheh..

My conjecture is since they have scent glands between their paws scratching the surface helps release the scent into the scratched area marking it as theirs. This would make sense to re-enforce that sleeping space as 'mine'

This is an instinct behaviour as dogs breed from overseas breeders get to sleep in Hay/Straws. This is also an instinct behaviour of ancient dogs as they will scratch or trample their sleeping area by stepping down uneven grass areas before they settle in.

Don't worry. it's normal.
;)

my doggie does that too! kinda cute and silly looking but she doesn't scratch the area at night. Only in the day..

sorry to hijack the thread, just to tag along with dog topic :D

Do you guys know why dog howling? my neighbour's dog like to howl for hours. Nowadays get very frequent.

It really send chills down my spine when it start howling at night

Possibly triyng to communicate with other dogs in the area letting them know that "This is my turf so dont come near" Alternatively if its alone it could be a howl to the owners asking "Where are you"..

sorry to hijack the thread, just to tag along with dog topic :D

Do you guys know why dog howling? my neighbour's dog like to howl for hours. Nowadays get very frequent.

It really send chills down my spine when it start howling at night

Separation anxiety? :think: What breed is the dog?

my dog bark so much aso...silky terrier..
any advise...she like to bark for nothin sometime...

Get a pillow or throwrug (cheap one)

let them use that instead... hopefully you won't get so much noise...

You slhoud have known that terriers are very noisy when you got the breed. I hope you ddint get them because they look good. They make good watch dogs cause they bark so much, of course it can get annoying..

I have a Silky Terrier too and it is simply one of their traits to bark at any new sound, thing, or person. Barking once or twice (something like alerting the owner) is fine. But if he/she is barking excessively(e.g. barking 10-15minutes non-stop), it can be really annoying. :what:

On the other hand, why don't you go check out what he/she is barking at? When my silky is barking at something, I usually go check it out. Most of the times, it's someone at the door. :)

I highly suspect the howling/barking is due to separation anxiety. Till now, I have not heard of dogs who will howl/bark due to hunger or thirst.

It also depends on the breed. From what I understand from some Husky owners, their dogs will howl at night and this could be due to their close relations to the wolf, as compared to other dog breeds.

When my dog (silky terrier) was a pup, he would emit agonizing whines/howls when he was left alone in the house. To the point that my neighbours thought I was abusing him! Then one day, I showed my neighbours by leaving the house, and my pup would start his calls. Definitely a sign of separation anxiety. After reading many books etc., I managed to curb his separation anxiety.

Thanks

u ever wonder Y ppl on public transport like to hit the chair before sitting ? :p

because last time the bus seats were cloth covered and people whcked the seats to get rid of the dust/germs from the last person who sat there... Now its kinda like habit i guess...

u ever wonder Y ppl on public transport like to hit the chair before sitting ? :p

That's to cool it down.. esp for those older vinyl type..

I highly suspect the howling/barking is due to separation anxiety. Till now, I have not heard of dogs who will howl/bark due to hunger or thirst.

It also depends on the breed. From what I understand from some Husky owners, their dogs will howl at night and this could be due to their close relations to the wolf, as compared to other dog breeds.

When my dog (silky terrier) was a pup, he would emit agonizing whines/howls when he was left alone in the house. To the point that my neighbours thought I was abusing him! Then one day, I showed my neighbours by leaving the house, and my pup would start his calls. Definitely a sign of separation anxiety. After reading many books etc., I managed to curb his separation anxiety.

Someone pretty free eh?

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

My terrier also barks ... but its calling to me or wants to come back into the house as i let her out to frolick with my GR ... but i swear - terriers all got some kind of attitude :rolleyes:

As for the trampling / scratching, i guess until now i can't explain .. mine loves to "ruffle" up newspapers that are on the floor and goes to sleep on it even though she has got a nice place to sleep in ... as for scratching, it could be the claws that are long and need to be cut.

I had a GR b4, it was given to me by my dad's fren, was told that it couldn't get along with his new dog always fighting so got to give one away.

When i had him it was howling non stop so much that my neighbours called the police......we tried everything to stop him from barking........from giving him pillows, toys. We had other dogs at that time so basically he's not lonely. Just don't know y he's howling.......then one day out of a sudden, it attacked me and my mom, both needed stiches and injections.........

Anyway we decided to bring him to the vet..........conclusion from the vet is that it's kinda siao liao........so tat's y it attacked us and can't stop howling.....also we found out the why the real reason why the previous owner wanna give him away..........cos it was also howling non stop .........

Status
Not open for further replies.