Why do you really need such expensive lens filters?

Aug 29, 2010
hey guys, i just could not understand why we must spend so much on a HOYA or B+W filter.. why dont u just get a Emolux filter? Anyway, i just started photography in the last 2 months, so im still new in this kind of things. Thanks :D

in this world you pay a price for better quality... not only in photography, but in many other things too..

prices are set to reflect the cost of raw materials and manufacturing.. (altho not always the case) and different people have different buying principles.. some are not so concerned about quality but more concerned about their wallet, others are really adamant about quality products as they feel in the long run they save.. and then there are others who don't know anyting and just copy...
;)

some cheap filters have bad quality, in terms of optical flatness or coatings

optical flatness imperfections can cause error focusing in the extreme case as light is bend differently.

bad coatings can affect colour reproduction or light transmission.

i used my friends 50mm 1.4 prime with a kenko filter. i use the lens for night shots under some stage fluorescent lighting, the filter caused a green ghosting of the lights in the image and ruined most of the good shots. i was so frustrated i shoot without it. the filter was very reflective after i examine it

Last edited:
if u have a high grade pro lens....u put a low grade filter in front of ur pro lens. what image quality u think u may get?

hey guys, i just could not understand why we must spend so much on a HOYA or B+W filter.. why dont u just get a Emolux filter? Anyway, i just started photography in the last 2 months, so im still new in this kind of things. Thanks :D

To add it's the same mentality as why do we want to get a L lens version while there's a cheaper alternative around ?

The answer is better quality and their desire for that level of quality. A professional who cannot compromise on output would definitely get the best they can .

A serious amateur would also follow suit. A more balance approach is probably to ask yourself can you accept risk of image degradation due to the cheap filters ? If yes how much tolerance of loss are you willing to take ? That would lead you to a buying decision between a b+w or a ok Hoya .

Hoya is the more common brand that people use due to it's price value proposition ba. Others brands that are not commonly used are normally due to their quality issues which most people cannot tolerate ba

This is really a matter of perspective. If you get serious enough about this hobby and get an expensive lens, you would probably try to get a filter good enough for it to not degrade the image quality.

For me, I don't get filters (UV aka protective filters) for cheap lenses like the 50 f1.8 or the kit lenses. But if I get a filter for my expensive lenses, I will get a good one.

Cheap filters degrade IQ
Either you dont use one, or you get a quality one

It's really a matter of choice.

- Some want cheap protection
- Some want a good compromise of protection and image quality
- Some believe that top grade filters minimize the decrease in image quality while providing protection for the front element
- Some believe that image quality is most important to them, and do not apply any new optics into the mix

Emolux .. might make you 'emo' once you see all the flare and whatnot, caused by the filter. Nomen est omen :)

Last edited:
i dont use a filter for my primary lens now.

I used to ponder over all these also last time. Some cheap filters will result is poor quality image. I ever use a cheap filter and tried shooting it into a pond, but the reflections want cut down much, or should i say hardly any improvement, but when using some better brands its way different.

For Hoya there are many grades also, personally i dont use so high grades, i just get something decent enough for my use thats all. The best is u try to borrow from ur friends and try it out first then u can do some comparison. Compare and see the results is the best : )

Emolux .. might make you 'emo' once you see all the flare and whatnot, caused by the filter. Nomen est omen :)

I'm using Emolux on kit lens and 50mm f1.8. Cheap lens use cheap filter. Anything more expensive I'd use a Hoya.

think of it this way .... its the last piece of glass the image is going to capture ...

Will you put a piece of glass to degrade the IQ ?

In hush and hazardous shooting ... you would rather "crack or scratch" a filter than the lens.

I have seen folks that remove filter while shooting and put filter back when walking around .. some of you will say ... ai ya ... use lens cap la ...

I will put a affordable piece of "Filter" just to reduce cleaning the actual lens.

mine 2 cents ...

think of it this way .... its the last piece of glass the image is going to capture ...

Will you put a piece of glass to degrade the IQ ?

In hush and hazardous shooting ... you would rather "crack or scratch" a filter than the lens.

I have seen folks that remove filter while shooting and put filter back when walking around .. some of you will say ... ai ya ... use lens cap la ...

I will put a affordable piece of "Filter" just to reduce cleaning the actual lens.

mine 2 cents ...

Just make sure you remove filter when shooting at night, and also remove your filter when mounting other filters.

I'm a newbie too and i wanna ask, whats the price difference roughly in using those cheaper filters like emolux? as compared to recommended hoya or B+W? (i know there are many different models, not wanting the exact figure e.g. emolux $5+ hoya $30++) Please advise, thanks.:)

I'm a newbie too and i wanna ask, whats the price difference roughly in using those cheaper filters like emolux? as compared to recommended hoya or B+W? (i know there are many different models, not wanting the exact figure e.g. emolux $5+ hoya $30++) Please advise, thanks.:)
Have a look at the Price Guides and Mass Sales.

I'm using Emolux on kit lens and 50mm f1.8. Cheap lens use cheap filter. Anything more expensive I'd use a Hoya.
Weird logic. If kit lens and 50mm f/1.8 produce good images then why adding that cheap stuffs in front? Front element of 50mm is quite recessed, doesn't need any additional protection. The bigger gap between lens and filter will only get you better flare.