Why do you press that shutter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

two200

Nov 19, 2004
Eunos
galleria2200.blogspot.com
When you choose an object or scene to photograph, do you take the photo for the idea behind it or just because it look nice? Do all photographs need to have an idea behind it eg to show the contrast bet happy subject and the sorry state of the background etc? Or just take the photograph first then try to come up with the idea/title?

I ask this question because I just start to learn the technical aspect of composition and I find that sometimes it is just impossible to photograph an idea rather than just photo 'because it looked nice'

When you choose an object or scene to photograph, do you take the photo for the idea behind it or just because it look nice? Do all photographs need to have an idea behind it eg to show the contrast bet happy subject and the sorry state of the background etc? Or just take the photograph first then try to come up with the idea/title?

I ask this question because I just start to learn the technical aspect of composition and I find that sometimes it is just impossible to photograph an idea rather than just photo 'because it looked nice'

Well, i do both :embrass:

but anyway, isn't the 'just because it looks nice' emotion the subject brings out (that caused you to capture it) the 'idea behind it' ?:think:

you always leave the house with a theme to shoot right? well, some don't, which is also fine.
but, photographs opportunities are everywhere. you never know when you might bump into one good opportunity, and that's where you quickly snap and think about the story later.

I always think about what I want to bring across to the ppl looking at the photo before I begin shooting ;).

Of course having the idea would be better but it will depend on your planning for it. Take for instance shooting sunset, you plan for the timing, location and can adjust your camera settings till your happy with the shots. Likewise other situations like street and underwater photography wuld still be able to plan just that you have less control. Sometimes you just have to wait for the decisive moment or opportunities to appear but generally planning and pre visualising on what kind of shots you want to achieve would always get you better photos.

Agrees with Kit. It’s subjective.

Photography is second-nature. It can be anticipated thus, require planning of a shoot like studio photography and on the other hand, having spontaneous captures like street photography. However if you ponder more, most of what motivates us to open trigger is out of spontateneity. For instance we plan to shoot a wedding, but in order to tell a story and a focal point, we have to do it while in the moment itself.

I am stronglt motivated by the aesthetics of photography. Your subject need not be Miss Universe for the picture to look stunning. How you portray a person, how you depict a scene, how you evoke emotions will mould the appeal of your photo.

So why do we press the shutter? Because we want to capture a fleeting moment, well at least for me. It is much easier to fabricate a story after you take a photograph but thats kinda insincere and missing the point. But I sometimes do that to accentuate and support the photograph. :( Sometimes trying to tell a story from a photograph can be cheesy.

There are also times when we plan, we draft out concepts, themes and ideas then proceed with manifesting the ideas. I say, instinct is what makes us press that shutter most of the time. Loose all the complex thoughts and purposes, and let your heart and mind stage their own play :) & you’ll be surprised.

Just like shooting a gun and pulling the trigger, sometimes you premeditate, sometimes in the spur of the moment.

Last edited:
Sometimes, it's just shoot first...

we'll wonder about it later...

When in doubt, grab a BK Whopper! :bsmilie:

OK, seriously, to add on to some of the answers here, it ALSO depends on YOUR objectives.

If your objective is to train your eye to 'see', and to develop your style, vision and technique, then anyhow wack shutter may be counter-productive.

I knew of some photographers who were so particular (and disciplined) that they could go out for days in search for a single shot, and not take a single shot because the image that could fulfill their vision simply was not there, for various reasons. As a technical example ... some of the hard-core landscape photographers whose works sell for thousands of US dollars can and have to wait months and pre-plan before taking a particular shot because they need the sun or the shadow in a particular position. Meanwhile, they plan for other shots at other locations.

Then there are photographers who will find some sort of middle ground, and later ponder about it (the shots, their approach etc).

Then there are those who will just spray.

I press the shutter to make a photograph, not take one.

I think that most people press the shutter because man generally has a desire to capture or create a moment of beauty.:confused:

I think along these lines: Why shoot an ugly scence/a scene that represents no meaning to you? Waste memory space only...

Thxs for all the reply

So if I just take a macro then what idea would I be presenting?:dunno:
Flower02-01.jpg

The above photo is to illustrate a point - not the composition.

Idea: just toying with macro
Title: flower?!!:bsmilie:
Photographic title and jargon: a photo showing how a flower stands out from the rest, being proud......:dunno:

Why cant we sometimes take photo just for the sake of taking photos?:sweatsm:

Why cant we sometimes take photo just for the sake of taking photos?:sweatsm:

Nothing wrong with that. It's just like saying you're going to go drive your new Porsche / Ferrari sports car around the estate "just because you can".

But when it comes to art, you should be proud of the work you create. Painters don't paint something because they can, it's because they want to see their vision come to life on canvas. Such is the same with photography.

For me, the moment I depress the shutter after composing a great picture, I should already know and decide which part of my house wall I will hang the printed photograph.

Cheers,
Zexun

Status
Not open for further replies.