Why do we get muscle cramps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Q: Why do we get muscle cramps even after doing the proper warming up and stretchings? I encounter muscle cramps mostly in the evening time exercises. I seldom get cramps in the morning exercises.

It there something lacking? (eg.: minerals, glucose, etc.) Or just that the muscles are more tired in the evening?

LACTIC ACID build up in your muscles. even if u stretch until like rubber band, if the muscle tissues are not supplied with sufficient oxygen to respire while they are contracting/relaxing while u exercise, then a different type of respiration takes place - anaerobic respiration.

MOST singaporeans are affluent enough to live well, ( EXCEPT ESPN. He believes ALL Sporeans are. Here, http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=154209 he believes that handicapped/disabled people on MRTs etc ACT PITIFUL and EXPECT PEOPLE TO GIVE UP THEIR SEATS FOR THEM.and that THEY SHOULD JUST TAKE TAXIS. ), so your problem is confirmplusguaranteechop not insufficient glucose.....unless u are underweight or something..

breath in large amounts of oxygen after u exercise. oxygen oxidizes the lactic acid into harmless substances and it reverses the effect of anaerobic respiration in ur muscles....by compensating for the oxygen debt incurred to ur muscle tissue..

just dont OVERwork ur muscles. it is only when u overwork them that lactic acid is produced. also, u can learn to breathe in super deeper while u run, so over time, the amount of lactic acid ur muscles can tolerate in one go is more....(jus dun hyperventilate!)
hope i made sense..

Douglas

lols. Well lactic acid buildup is one factor.

Another is due to microtears in ur muscle fibres due to wear and tear and exertion. Give a few days for your muscle to repair itself :)

doug3fflux said:
LACTIC ACID build up in your muscles. even if u stretch until like rubber band, if the muscle tissues are not supplied with sufficient oxygen to respire while they are contracting/relaxing while u exercise, then a different type of respiration takes place - anaerobic respiration.

MOST singaporeans are affluent enough to live well, ( EXCEPT ESPN. He believes ALL Sporeans are. Here, http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=154209 he believes that handicapped/disabled people on MRTs etc ACT PITIFUL and EXPECT PEOPLE TO GIVE UP THEIR SEATS FOR THEM.and that THEY SHOULD JUST TAKE TAXIS. ), so your problem is confirmplusguaranteechop not insufficient glucose.....unless u are underweight or something..

breath in large amounts of oxygen after u exercise. oxygen oxidizes the lactic acid into harmless substances and it reverses the effect of anaerobic respiration in ur muscles....by compensating for the oxygen debt incurred to ur muscle tissue..

just dont OVERwork ur muscles. it is only when u overwork them that lactic acid is produced. also, u can learn to breathe in super deeper while u run, so over time, the amount of lactic acid ur muscles can tolerate in one go is more....(jus dun hyperventilate!)
hope i made sense..

Douglas
Your 2nd paragraph is uncalled for and I appluad you for trying to attack me personally by dragging it into this thread which has no relevance to what I said.

I stand by what I said in the earlier thread.

Just FYI, I always tell my parents to take cab because I know their health and movements, I'm willing to pay for it. My 2ndary school teacher when pregnant, would take a cab home after work, safety and convenience.

So what did I say wrong? :rolleyes:

Timber Wolf said:
lols. Well lactic acid buildup is one factor.

Another is due to microtears in ur muscle fibres due to wear and tear and exertion. Give a few days for your muscle to repair itself :)

yes, dont do exercise in immense volumes!! consistency!!! go go go!! burn the fat!!!

Douglas

espn said:
Your 2nd paragraph is uncalled for and I appluad you for trying to attack me personally by dragging it into this thread which has no relevance to what I said.

Just FYI, I always tell my parents to take cab because I know their health and movements, I'm willing to pay for it. My 2ndary school teacher when pregnant, would take a cab home after work, safety and convenience.

why assume that the disabled generalized in the MRT thread have filial, i-will-spend-for-your-comfort sons like you?

there is relevance, that between your statement and the affluence of Singaporeans.

Douglas

espn said:

Am not trying to add fuel to a flame, but have you ever considered that perhaps many handicapped/old people do not have children as filial as yourself who are willing to pay so that they enjoy more comfort? From the many old people I see still doing manual labour around Singapore, I think many just get by with public transport and taxis are probably a luxury they can't afford.

doug3fflux said:
why assume that the disabled generalized in the MRT thread have filial, i-will-spend-for-your-comfort sons like you?

there is relevance, that between your statement and the affluence of Singaporeans.

gymrat76 said:
Am not trying to add fuel to a flame, but have you ever considered that perhaps many handicapped/old people do not have children as filial as yourself who are willing to pay so that they enjoy more comfort? From the many old people I see still doing manual labour around Singapore, I think many just get by with public transport and taxis are probably a luxury they can't afford.
So then, what's wrong with my saying I can just sit down and keep my seat and not give it up.

If they don't have fillial children then it's not my problem right? The next time I'm old and childless, it will also be my problem not your childrens'.

:rolleyes:

there is no right or wrong; rather, shades of grey in monochrome.
yes you can sit there. life is as it is, as it is.

If they don't have filial children then it's not your problem. yes its not your problem. its no-ones. life is as it is, as it is.

Douglas

Douglas

doug3fflux said:
there is no right or wrong; rather, shades of grey in monochrome.
yes you can sit there. life is as it is, as it is.

If they don't have filial children then it's not your problem. yes its not your problem. its no-ones. life is as it is, as it is.
Glad you can see it that way.

Drink more water an hour and during the excersice session......sports drink can act as an alternative......from what I understand is that there is not enough minerals in your body or lack of sodium....I dunno whether true anot but it works during my trainings.....

my physiologist once told me that its due to the sodium intake. i train almost everyday. and i'll carry 2 bottles with me. a bottle of saltwater (table salt+water) and a bottle of normal plain water. i use saltwater as an alternative to sports drink. dont really like the flavours which are available in the market. :)

after taking saltwater, i seldom get cramps nowadays after training. i was also told to eat more carbos after excercising. this is because your body is still burning even after u stop your workouts. and body will feel fatigue when it continues to burn, yet theres nothing left in your body to burn. i've tried this out and it works for me. not much aches and stuff the next day.

cheers and all the best!

Canew said:
Q: Why do we get muscle cramps even after doing the proper warming up and stretchings? I encounter muscle cramps mostly in the evening time exercises. I seldom get cramps in the morning exercises.

It there something lacking? (eg.: minerals, glucose, etc.) Or just that the muscles are more tired in the evening?
Did you do proper warm-up and cool downs? Also, what kind of exercises do you do?

speaking from experience, not so true abt warm up, its helps but thats generally not the main reason, the reasons cramps happens is jus that your body is not in tone. Ok, picture this, you are a lifeguard suddenly, you saw someone in trouble, surely no trouble, then picture tis, you are an ex-lifeguard and now overweight, then I'm sorry, the moment you dive in CRAMPS.:nono:

+evenstar said:
Did you do proper warm-up and cool downs? Also, what kind of exercises do you do?

+evenstar, cycling. I noticed my calves get cramped up, especially in evening cycling sessions,as mentioned.

fatjp said:
I had muscle cramps in the middle of the nite.

Pls advice
Cramps in the night may be due to the cold. :)
Canew: I was a sprinter before and from experience, I know tht if no proper stretching of the calf was done before training, cramps (pulls if more serious) can happen..

I pull my leg muscles (yes, its my real legs, not the 'leg') whenever I'm sleeping.

Kinda silly when I have to limp to work or take MC cos I pulled my leg muscle whilst I'm sleeping... :embrass:

I dun think its the lack of water or warm-up eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.