Why do we always want the newest gadgets?

Why do we want (or buy) the latest gadgets?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParkertR

I'm just wondering why many of us all want the latest gadgets out there in the market... like the latest cameras, lenses, accessories, handphones, laptops... the list is quite endless. Lets see why we buy the things that we buy :)

Because companies making luxury items are going mass market, turning once-luxury goods into necessities. For instance, look at DSLR. When it first came out, only people with spare cash on hand, and people who uses them for their ricebowls, are willing to spend the money on those gadgets. Today, they become so accessible that even students, who have next to no income, get it as their first camera, in order to "learn photography".

Since items are become more affordable, they are also getting more disposable. One would readily replaces something that will not blow a hole in their pocket with newer item that has added functionalities. Thus, because of the spending power, we are more willing to get new gadgets.

I'm just wondering why many of us all want the latest gadgets out there in the market... like the latest cameras, lenses, accessories, handphones, laptops... the list is quite endless. Lets see why we buy the things that we buy :)

haha the feeling of owning something tt nt many ppl own yet simply shioks me.. hehe, but they dunno tt i'm eating porridge everyday after buying tt ex gadget

Marketing gimmick?
But I rather wait a little while, let others buy first and try and see good or not before I buy myself.
(remember 1990s tat was laser disc player, now they launched HDTV, sounds familiar?)

its sth about technological advances... for instance....if a newer camera would give me ebter imaegs and i am feeling restricted by my current one...i'd change too

I think it's human nature to get sick of things after a certain period. Especially, when newer products keep coming out. After seeing the same handphone I have for 2 years, will get sick of it and want to change to something else loh. :embrass:

I think it's human nature to get sick of things after a certain period. Especially, when newer products keep coming out. After seeing the same handphone I have for 2 years, will get sick of it and want to change to something else loh. :embrass:

You can try to change the handphone to two tin cans connected with a string and see. :)

very simple... because a lot of govt sector people getting 2.2 ;)
therefore can BUY BUY BUY :D

U love it because its new and wanted to hold on to it. But, after a while, feel bored and attempt to sell it off.. Human nature... thats inevitable and rem, guys always a gadget lovers. haha

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: After polling, i am the first to choose 'I can't stand owing something old'...

Actually it is a combination of reasons for many i'm sure.

Anyone has tried the lastest gadget which is a Fingers Massage Pad ?

You put it over your camera and it pulsates and massages your fingers. It is made of latex with grooves and dimples all over it. It draws power from your camera battery with a USB connector.

:)

It is good that alot of sg hop on this "newest gadgets" mentality. I will need to hop onto the 2nd hand market when their ego deflated once the hype for the gadget goes down. :bsmilie:

cos your advertising too good liao.. make everyone want to buy all the new PPCP stuff.

This Will Make The Economy Run.....

mmm... lots of answers but most of them arent as personal as I'd hoped to see. i put up this poll cos i was chatting with a friend of mine who is African - he posed the question of why (within our school) the students from cosmopolitan countries/cities tended to always want the newest and latest, not being content with what they had. I personally had an answer to that... for myself, coming from SIngapore... most guys are gadget geeks/freaks and owning the latest gadgets was the 'in' thing. Face it, owning the latest thing out there has the 'cool' factor and it boosts your ego. On the train, bus, at school or work... having something that people go 'wow' makes you feel good. The gadgets work well, which is partly why we buy them (prices have to be good also la) but the cool factor (to me) does play an important role. :p just thought i'd share :)

that is probably the reason. new marketing techniques make the item seem like a neccesity. They will usually show you examples or testimonials on how the item improved their lives, improve the 'cool' factor, improve their photos, etc. It plays on their lowered self esteem. Making a want become a need.

I know some people swear by a certain photography add-on product that if they don't have it with them, it affects their ego and can't shoot as well.. they then say "my photos crappy lah because i don't have my light cube with me."

Early adopters pay heavy price.
Wait a bit and it is cheaper and better.

Most want to try new technology.
Some are truly advances.
Like I chucked (really) 2 VCRs and all the video tapes.
Bought a DVD hard disk recorder multi format.
No worry about fungus on tapes, tapes getting stuck, hard to rewind or fast forward.
Stack 50 VHS tapes up and place a stack of 50 DVDs next to each other. You will see why. Saves space.

Think about this.
The kings and billionaires in spite of their great riches, who lived and died long ago could never have enjoyed digital SLRs, LCD TVs, 3G handphones, bluetooth wireless stereo, Internet forums/you tube video broadcasts.
Because they died before the technology was ready and percolated down to consumer products.

But you and I, ordinary people, can enjoy this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.