Why do ppl ask 'which lens suit my xxD'? I don't think its a gd qn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learnphotography

Apr 18, 2009
Singapore
if u ask which lens is good for my 1.6 crop/full frame, then it would sounds logical.
i mean 550D,50d, 60d ,7d, 3100d, d90, d7000, k-5 are all crop frame. same sensor size C-1.6, N, P -1.5. whatever lens they are attached to, its the same!

Last edited:
if u ask which lens is good for my 1.6 crop/full frame, then it would sounds logical.
i mean 550D,50d, 60d ,7d, 3100d, d90, d7000, k-5 are all crop frame. same sensor size. whatever lens they are attached to, its the same!

What are you talking about? Canon's cropped frame (XXD, XXXD, XXXXD and 7D) are 1.6 crop, Nikon and Pentax are 1.5 crop. And only specific lens for the particular brand of camera can be mounted on individual camera.

I tend to agree with you however that it is not a very good question to ask which lens is good for their camera. As long as the mount is correct, all the lens can be use (original brand or third party).

Last edited:
What are you talking about? Canon's cropped frame (XXD, XXXD, XXXXD and 7D) are 1.6 crop, Nikon and Pentax are 1.5 crop. And only specific lens for the particular brand of camera can be mounted on individual camera.

I tend to agree with you however that it is not a very good question to ask which lens is good for their camera. As long as the mount is correct, all the lens can be use (original brand or third party).

ya, tt's what im talking abt. i noe nikons are 1.5. but the point is, they all think diff bodies suit diff lens.

the way they ask is funny.

Like 'which lens is the best for my 60D'. why not rephrase it to 'which lens suit my canon 1.6x sensor'

Last edited:
ya, tt's what im talking abt. i noe nikons are 1.5. but the point is, they all think diff bodies suit diff lens.

Actually, asking "Which lenses suit my 60D?" is much better than "Which lenses suit my camera?". If you have been here long enough, you would have read people asking "what lens to buy?", "which lens is good for portrait?" without a hint of which camera body (system nor sensor size) they are using.

Like 'which lens is the best for my 60D'. why not rephrase it to 'which lens suit my canon 1.6x sensor'

I don't see any diff in your qns. Any lens that works on a FF will work on a crop frame of the same brand.

Beter qns should be which lens suit my use (genre) on xx body.

Why? because some people just buy camera and are not even clear about sensor crop etc. Can't blame them, and nothing wrong about it. I don't see a problem. Do you?

If you are asking for a part for your Toyota Vios, will you ask "Which part fit a compact sedan with 1.x litre 4 cyclinder in-line engine on a Toyota frame model xxxxx-xx-xx, front wheel drive?".

"60D" is made up of 3 characters. "1.6x APS-C cropped camera" is how many characters? As long as the idea gets through, why are you so bothered about it?

Why would that be logical? What you use to shoot it for is far more important, and you still have to factor in personal preferences, which no one can tell you about.

In fact, which lens suits what what what is hardly logical. It would make more sense to lay out 3 options and ask people to elaborate on the pros and cons of each. For example, for the APS-C UWA range, an obvious "better not to buy" option is the 10-24 mm - got a lot of issues with corner sharpness (not just extreme corners).

That said, people will always ask such things, and that's just something people do. Definitely it doesn't make sense - for example, I can hardly see how having a poll to see what lens 60D users buy is going to help you in your decision, but frankly speaking, that is sadly (and more often than not) related to the weird inexplicable urge to just BUY SOMETHING WITH MY BONUS or something like that, rather than a real need driving the buy.

Last edited:
when i see qns like tt, the Feeeling i got is tt the thread-starter thinks his/her cam body is suitable to some particular lens. In fact, whatever lens tt suit their shooting style, lets say, 60D is going to suit a 550d/7d too.

Last edited:
I think those fella who ask the question might not have the basic knowledge of DSLR to start with. And so it might be quite understandable... although those type of questions are quite irritating after you have read them over and over again and by different new members, which is why some of the seniors either ignored them or answer rather sascastically or downright scolded those guilty.

(PS... Canon's EF-S lens cannot be fitted into a FF camera. It just don't fit. A third party EF-S mount lens can fit and you will see fantastic vignetting).

Or they might just don't know how to phrase properly.

Learnphotography said:
when i see qns like tt, the Feeeling i got is tt the thread-starter thinks his/her cam body is suitable to some particular lens. In fact, whatever lens tt suit their shooting style, lets say, 60D is going to suit a 550d/7d too.

Asking for specific bodies makes more sense to me, naming the sensor is so generic and lengthy. It doesn't really matter what you think as long as the people who answer the questions understands, which We all do.

i see nothing wrong in asking lei... better to play safe than sorry....

Learnphotography said:

the way they ask is funny.

You do know that for Nikon it makes a diff if you are asking for recommendation of lens for a D3100 and a D7000 right?

Maybe it will save newbies some trouble if someone do a write up on different lenses (type) for different brand of cameras (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung, etc). and different lenses (type) suitable for what format (FF, APS-C, APS-H, 4/3, micro 4/3, APS-C mirrorless, etc).

Of course the write up must be quite detail... especially when it came to camera brand that had inbuilt motor for some of its model (example - Nikon) and so some of its lenses can achieve AF, while others needed manual focusing.

I know I will not do that write up though :) (too lazy to do it).

Last edited:
I'm not trying to sound sarcastic or anything but not all people on here are 'learned' like you. ClubSNAP is a place for learning and sharing. All of us have to start somewhere, it's just that some people can't automatically wrap their head around the technicalities of this hobby. The question mark was invented for a reason my friend. :)

I'm not trying to sound sarcastic or anything but not all people on here are 'learned' like you. ClubSNAP is a place for learning and sharing. All of us have to start somewhere, it's just that some people can't automatically wrap their head around the technicalities of this hobby. The question mark was invented for a reason my friend. :)

+1!! :)

digitalpimp said:

Whilst that is true..there are ppl in CS who give hostile and demeaning replies to newbies asking questions..not starting a flame war but u know it's true..i'll always chip in when i can even though i'm also just a very amateur shooter..cos we've all been there once..

kei1309 said:
usually fan boys and fan girls who think CS is made just for their system and believe that they'll get the answer they demand

There are those kind of people and there are others who genuinely want to learn but have never thought of google or people who are too kiasu to believe the internet information and want people to assure them that the information is right.

Whilst that is true..there are ppl in CS who give hostile and demeaning replies to newbies asking questions..not starting a flame war but u know it's true..i'll always chip in when i can even though i'm also just a very amateur shooter..cos we've all been there once..

Quite a lot of them yea? Sometimes the comments are already below the belt, but we can always choose to ignore these people and befriend those who are there to help. We have to admit though that some of us get quite lazy and likes to be spoon-fed. That's when piranhas strike. Let's all just be careful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.