Why do photographers want to keep paid shoot photos all for themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you rephrase it as.... (I think you may mean this instead...)
Does a photographer NEED to give you any of the pictures?
a) No need, becoz he owns the rights to ALL the pictures.
b) Becoz of a), he is also not obliged to give out any pictures.
c) Even if he does give you a shot, he reserves the rights to it. i.e. you cannot sell 10 copies of it for 50 cents each.:bsmilie:

But if you ask WHY does he want to keep it all?
Then the answer would vary from photographer to photographer. Although I imagine if you ask nicely, then you should at least get one or more shots. But still its up to the photographer. :)

Yes, actually I am asking WHY does he want to keep it all :)

I understand he has full rights to the photos.

Some have said it's all part of "business" and the reasons need not be shared, so err.. :dunno:

Shiberty, did you read my post?

No one is obligated to give you an answer - it's as simple as that. I'm sure that if you survive this industry, you'll find out more reasons than you care to know. LOL!

Other than that, like another member mentioned ... it lies in the phrasing - one word different and the meaning changes. It might not help you much to get defensive, even if you feel in your heart you meant no offense.

Remember, I have nothing against you, now or in the past.

I need to think some more? I cannot think of anything else, that is why I am humbly asking opinions from photographers.

Perhaps you can tell me what other reasons to why people pay to take pictures, then?

The way I phrase the question comes from my limited understanding of the situation..
One reason could be that it is just a practice session for experimenting a new technique of shoot... and unfortunately, the pictures turn out bad and deleted everything...

Why are you trying to be offensive here? :)

I've mentioned that I'm fairly new to modelling, all I'm asking is for opinions to help me understand the situation better, I don't appreciate your sarcastic tone.

I'm quite unsure about the "fairly new to modelling" bit, since you already stated that you do paid shoots. When I do paid shoots, the model should expect nothing from me as these goes along of a business transaction. Should you want some images, you will definitely find several that will be posted in due time. Setting a requirement, etc. 5 shots within 14 days is totally ridiculous.

Not everyone has the time and pleasure to do so at your whims. Note that the shoot is an agreement between the model and the photographer. As a model, you get cash. As a photographer, I get images. Should you want them, well, you can purchase them from me at a price we are agreed upon.

A Paid Shoot = A Business Transaction. Period.

Lets take this analogy. Would you, as a customer, pay for a bowl of noodles, expecting the hawker to take a bit to eat? After all, it's his noodles right?

There's your answer.

If you are expecting images for free, there's always this thing called TFCD. Or even, TFP.

And if you actually are new and would like some guidance, here's one. Don't expect photos, do the job you are paid to do. I have never met a professional model go up to me and ask, "Can I have a photo ah?"

And yes, I shoot to hone my skills. For practice, for myself. And yet, I still do share my photos. How? Online galleries? My own website where I sell my services? Why not?

Even for the more selected few, you cannot find them online. Then how? Well, prints, lots of them in S8R, all in folders on my table.

You can go take your pick.

I need to think some more? I cannot think of anything else, that is why I am humbly asking opinions from photographers.

Perhaps you can tell me what other reasons to why people pay to take pictures, then?

The way I phrase the question comes from my limited understanding of the situation..

Dream Merchant's post above should answer your questions sufficiently. If you can't understand that, then perhaps it's too early for you to venture into this business.

Hmmm,

this question has been bothering me for quite some time...

I've done a few paid shoots, and most of the time, the photographers seem unwilling to share some of the better pictures.. :rolleyes:

I understand that they have paid for the model's services so it's not like TFCD, but the thing I don't understand is - Even if you have paid the model, what harm is done by sharing?

Afterall, it IS the model's pictures, wouldn't it be nice to share with her some of the work that you and her have achieved together? :what:

It's not like she's demanding you to upload every single photo into her laptop..

If the photos aren't meant for some client or anything,

And if you don't show the model the photos or put it up for public view (portfolio or something), then what are you going to do with it? Open the picture and stare at it everyday by yourself? :dunno:

I'm fairly new to this whole modelling thing, so anyone care to englighten me? :confused:
XMM, where go so good deal, you want people pay you and yet still want people to give you photos?

TanKuKu loh...

some people shoot for shiok only, so don't post photos to show.

some people try their best, but photo still CMI, so dare not to post.

some people skin very thin, scare kena hoot left right center for posting photos.

so that why some photo don't have the chance to see day light lor.... lol

Its simple, so maybe listen this time. If you get paid to do a shoot, you are not obligated to the photos and you do not get to know why. If you want photos, PAY FOR THEM or go do a TFCD!

This is the most bo liao thread of the week.:bsmilie:

Bo liao is one thing but this is an issue that has to be tackled. Lots of wannabe models have this perception that they always get photos even if it's a paid shoot.

Bo liao is one thing but this is an issue that has to be tackled. Lots of wannabe models have this perception that they always get photos even if it's a paid shoot.
Paid shoots good what...
1) Earn money...
2) Can "shun bian" get some good shots...

One stone kill 2 birds... :thumbsup:

A simple analogy here: U go buy a packet of duck rice for lunch..... half wat thru eating.... e duck rice store owner comes over n ask to have a taste of e duck rice, how would u feel?

Yes, actually I am asking WHY does he want to keep it all :)

I understand he has full rights to the photos.

Some have said it's all part of "business" and the reasons need not be shared, so err.. :dunno:

Well... if you ask "Why"....Possibly...
a) Bro's pictures were so damn good that he's afraid you would sell em for $5k and fame makes you a MTV VJ.;)
b) Bro's pictures were so bad that he ain't gonna show nobody!:bsmilie:

You probably won't get a straight answer unless you can mindread another person...

AFAIK, there isn't really a so called "business" or "code of conduct" or "rule" not to give out any pics. Its really up to the individual. He paid X dollars, owns the rights and is really not obliged to give. But I am guessing that the tone of asking might be the reason why you are not getting any. Its not a right to get a picture in return, the photog is just being nice if he does give it. So be nice. ;)

Aiya.......trying their luck lor.

The problem is one model tell another model that after getting paid, if they are friendly to the photographers they may get some freebies.

Then another problem is there are always this bunch of "suckers" (the photographers) who are willing to give them the photographers because the model is nicer to them.:bsmilie:

Anyway, this has been debating for years now. Still, when school holidays are here there is always this thread floating around.

Shiberty, did you read my post?

No one is obligated to give you an answer - it's as simple as that. I'm sure that if you survive this industry, you'll find out more reasons than you care to know. LOL!

Other than that, like another member mentioned ... it lies in the phrasing - one word different and the meaning changes. It might not help you much to get defensive, even if you feel in your heart you meant no offense.

Remember, I have nothing against you, now or in the past.

Yeah, I've read your post, sorry for the late reply~ My com is lagging like dunno what.

Your reply has helped me understand the situation better, thank you :)

So isn't it about paying for the model's skills, rather than paying to keep the photos for yourself?

Because I don't think people will pay to shoot any girl on the streets, unless the photographer believes that there is something special about that girl..
why people pay to shoot a model? that's a good question...

so why people pay you??

in your words, mean you are very special to them lor..... lol

when sch holidays gg to end ar? :bsmilie:

Paid shoots good what...
1) Earn money...
2) Can "shun bian" get some good shots...

One stone kill 2 birds... :thumbsup:
I hope you are not of "those" who gives out photos.

Yes the photos are yours and you have every right to give it out to anybody who request but remember one thing. Once the photos are given out, there is no turning back. Plus if your photos are being used commercially without your knowledge, then LL lor.

Status
Not open for further replies.