Why do people not share 'More Properties' on flickr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

redmonsoon

Aug 6, 2004
Sg
Well, I just couldnt figure out why.
Unless you're a pro with some so 'special' techniques that must not be leaked.
Of course, there are many outstanding pros who shares these info as well, and I thk them for it.

Its great for noob like myself to be able to see like what aperture, focal length, shutter speed was used, esp. for S'pore scenes cause we're familiar with the locations. I always search flickr extensively before I go out to shoot and any xtra info is always welcomed.
I know I cannot use the same settings and stuff but its still nice info.

Cannot let people know what PP you did to the pic meh?:) Share Lah!!

Last edited:
sometimes when I just crop it on photoshop, the "more properties" information just gone by it self.

Cannot let people know what PP you did to the pic meh?:) Share Lah!!

i used to share, but some other sites have limits on file size (max 200kb for naturescapes, for example)..

so i am not going to keep the exif, since it prevents me from meeting the file size requirement for posting there, and i'm not going to double upload an image just for the sake of being able to post in both clubsnap and other place..

hence, the dumping of exif. it saves file size. :)

anyways, i really, really cannot see how "more properties" will be able to let you know what pp was done to the image. :)

anyways, i really, really cannot see how "more properties" will be able to let you know what pp was done to the image. :)
yepp..
mostly we only can see about which cam, which lens, aperture, shutter speed, iso :D

Just general, If done in LR, can see adjustments in shadow,brightness,vignette,vibrance,hue, etc..

yepp..
mostly we only can see about which cam, which lens, aperture, shutter speed, iso :D

what metering was used, whether flash was fired, ev based on metering

you can't relaly tell what lens, but you can tell focal length

for example, if i shoot at 18mm, it will state 18mm, not that it was shot with sigma 10-20 or pentax 18-55.. :)

Just to add, perhaps also because I often like to view images taken with wide lens, and so would like to know it was shot at what focal length..:)

Sometimes they save the image as "save for web" or something like that... The EXIF won't be uploaded with the shot.
In anycase, the "more properties" on flickr will only show you the settings used onboard the camera at time of capture, but not what PP was done on the image, just what software was used.

But some people like me show EXIF including PP in the image description :D

*uh-oh... webpage advertising*:angel:

Last edited:
what metering was used, whether flash was fired, ev based on metering

you can't relaly tell what lens, but you can tell focal length

for example, if i shoot at 18mm, it will state 18mm, not that it was shot with sigma 10-20 or pentax 18-55.. :)

somehow can bro.. but dunno when, dunno how..
can take a look of this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikhajulianto/3730327878/meta/in/set-72157621473514071

scroll down a bit.. got lens model there...

Just to add, perhaps also because I often like to view images taken with wide lens, and so would like to know it was shot at what focal length..:)

oh well,

maybe you could drop a note on flickr in the comments stream

i'm quite sure most people would not mind answering, if you are curious. :)

some got much info.. some only little info..

is it depending on camera?

It doesnt show much when you upload a photo from a compact.

I think it's also because in many cases, Photographers save for web, and also because they want their image to stand on it's own merits, and not be drowned out by newbies thinking that it's a certain camera or lens that "made" the picture. In other words, many gearheads will think that it's the camera, not the man.

Ah...ic.

It is fun for me to see eg.
the stretch at certain short focal length, the motion blur at certain low shutter speed, the bokeh at certain aperture and how he pushed up ISO to achieve e shutter speed used..etc

Its like good exposure for noobs like me.

somehow can bro.. but dunno when, dunno how..
can take a look of this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikhajulianto/3730327878/meta/in/set-72157621473514071

scroll down a bit.. got lens model there...

Just to highlight a little point.

I was tinkering around EXIF from my cam some time back and found out that the lens model is not "real" but an assumption based on the Long/Short Focal data.

ie. if you have a non unique FL lens like 50/1.4, the EXIF might show CANON 50/1.4 even if you are using SIGMA 50/1.4.

Long Focal: 40 mm
Short Focal: 17 mm
Lens Model: EF17-40mm f/4L USM

*disclaimer : the exif I tinkered with was from Canon 10D and 30D and scripts using PS. Things might have changed since.:dunno:

anyone actually have any idea on how to set the information?

Status
Not open for further replies.