Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
some ppl always repeat cus some ppl always forget, or worse, never seem to get it.

i keep repeating this statement everytime to myself when i sense that i am drifting away from shootin to looking at equipment.

I am glad I am not the one that feels this way....

that statement keeps coming up when EVERYONE has heard it like 100001 times. Sometimes we just want to discuss equipment...

Why does your poll sound so cynical? The choices really are one sided, and really, need some rethinking.

It's really the truth that equipment does not make the picture, but the user who does; equipment simply facilitates that user's imagination.

ummm... is it because people take pictures not cameras?

that statement keeps coming up when EVERYONE has heard it like 100001 times. Sometimes we just want to discuss equipment...

Haa... Ya esp when people just came out of nowhere and put up that statement.

Yap, this thread is one-sided, but my point is, whats wrong with discussing equipment? So far I don't think anone had said they really need eg hi-end cam, lenses ect to take a particular pic.

It's a fact that certain cam with certain features HELPS (Canon's action beast-1dm3, Nikon's super dark iso 25600, Olympus E3 mulit-angled LCD live-view) in taking certain pics better and EASIER.

This doesn't applies just to photography but also cars, food, entertainment blah blah blah... You're a good driver, but you'll need a super fast car to win a race, You are a good cook, you'll need good ingredients to make superb cuisine, you love great movies, you'll need good quality hi res LCD/plasma + stereo system to fully utilise the potential of your stuff.

Back to photography, some people enjoy taking pics, some people enjoy discussing their toys while there are also people who enjoy both.

no, no, discuss equipment is fine.

no doubt, part of the fun from photography can be derived from using and talking about the "tools"

but to tink that buying something better will result in better photos is :nono:.

do u think that by buying a better pair of boxing gloves will i outfight Buakaw?

or that i will cycle like Armstrong when i use his bike? or shoot like a green beret when i use their rifle?

then, wat makes it possible for me to shoot like Galen Rowell when i use his camera? or better still, shoot nicer photos than him if i use medium format, since he shot w 35mm.

also, we must compare rationally. cetri paribus (spelling), all conditions remain the same, except one, so that we can see if that one factor accounts for the diff.

eg 1

give ansel a lomo and me a D3 and the challenge for us is to shoot a basketball match.

frankly, the odds of me winning is pretty big.

but this comparison has 2 factors. the 2 photographers' different skill levels and camera type.

eg 2

give me ansel's 8 x 10 and challenge me to shoot like him.

i am sure the results will impress everyone :bsmilie:.

It's becasue.......

Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam!!!!!!

It really is........................ ;)

Cause the newest and the greatest equipment will always tempt us.
It's like that Ferrari Enzo that overtook you when you are driving a Toyota Vios.
You wished you had it, you wished you tried it, but you know you won't get one cause it's not feasible.

And probably cause you cannot afford it, anyway.

But in this case u will probably not go around telling the other car buyers that it is their driver that matters and not the vehicle. There is a certain experience in the process as well :bsmilie:

If people wanna talk about the Enzo, talk about it. If people wanna intellectually talk about cars and equipments, what is it to snub the topic ?

But in this case u will probably not go around telling the other car buyers that it is their driver that matters and not the vehicle. There is a certain experience in the process as well :bsmilie:

If people wanna talk about the Enzo, talk about it. If people wanna intellectually talk about cars and equipments, what is it to snub the topic ?

Haaa, so true, very true.

Since the thread' title keeps playing in an auto mode and appearing almost everywhere, there should be also an auto reply like, ''Shut up! Nobody ever said/claims that equipment makes the pics, d*mba**!"

Cause the newest and the greatest equipment will always tempt us.
It's like that Ferrari Enzo that overtook you when you are driving a Toyota Vios.
You wished you had it, you wished you tried it, but you know you won't get one cause it's not feasible.

And probably cause you cannot afford it, anyway

Such a true and appropriate example.

Nothing to snub. But true, if you put a reckless driver in there, it's really going to a waste of it being scrapped within 2 months.

I have no problems about talking about equipment or such, I think it's a guy thing that we love technology. But of course, also must take into consideration that chasing after technology without improving oneself will result in stagnation regardless.

Yap, thats the whole point! We all know that if we do not have the basic skill + upgrading process, be it in any field, we won't go far at all.

Discussing (knowing very well about own cam's function) and chasing newer technolgies (better features, faster focusing speed, less noise CMOS... ) does helps to improve better and maybe easier.

Actually think about it... Are we all artists? Before photography, did we paint, draw or sculpt?

I think at least half of the people in the photography hobby are in it because of the equipment. So I think it's good to decide if you are an artist or not. If not artist, then just do whatever the hell u want, be it buying the best equipment or whatever.

I hang out with some photographers from Philippines and they are very expressive, in their culture and in their images (and damn, their images are good). Nonetheless, they still come and ask around about equipment and stuff. Their question to be me would something along the lines of "I've come to find that my 18-55 does not offer me the reach I need. Do you think the 28-135 IS would fit?" Admittedly, newer, higher technology would help, but the question is, do you really need it?

hmm i say post process is everything wahha :p

but i guess, due to the expensive equipment some are bitter about others being able to "own" them. :p

*still waiting for one day own a 1Ds series :)

Status
Not open for further replies.