Why do people keep trying to recommend D-SLRs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulpix0r

Oct 2, 2002
West
I know D-SLRs are good, low noise, etc, but usually a lot of people do not read the person's demand and just go in to diss anyone who recommends a FZ20, and somehow think that the 18-55mm range lens is going to perform the same as the 12x zoom on the FZ20.

While the FZ20 has its share of problems, its weight, size, and versatility makes it stand out against DSLRs, and people just continue to recommend DSLRs despite the person's demand which includes "must be light, compact" as I have yet to see DSLRs with a 36-432mm lens (Closes I can think of is 28-300mm?) that is priced at around 1k, and as light as the FZ20.

Of course, people still insist that DSLRs are better and throw your claims down the drain. :rolleyes: I own a DSLR, but I see the strength of a FZ20. I recently recommended a friend to get the Panasonic FZ20, despite me owning a DSLR, as his needs match the FZ20 more for his hobby, and as soon as he got it, he fell in love with it.

This post is just a rant after seeing a thread go down in flames because of DSLR purists who think that everyone else has 30000000000000000 to spend on their camera equipment.

wah... 30000000000000000 = alot of peanuts..
i think at least 1 packet.

:) I'd agree with your rant. most of the dSLR users think being able to change lens is a big freaking deal. say that flash superb because got TTL. they don't understand that for most people there is budget constrain, that $600 for a flash is way too much. For a person with $1k to spend, there won't be much lens that he can change.

Anyway I've more or less given up on DSLR purists. They who earn peanuts will never understand the views of the less well off.

I think the argument shouldn't be about $$$.. Even if you have a packet of peanuts, it doesnt mean a dSLR will meet or supercede your demand.

Similarly, a casual photograher may just like those trendy pocket-size 3x zoom cameras, simply because it's portable and fashionable. And maybe for the types of photos he/she needs to take, that kind of camera is most suitable.

Of course, if I had a packet of peanuts, I'd just buy all kinds of cameras for all kinds of occasions! ;) just my 2 peanuts worth!

Vulpix0r said:
I know D-SLRs are good, low noise, etc, but usually a lot of people do not read the person's demand and just go in to diss anyone who recommends a FZ20, and somehow think that the 18-55mm range lens is going to perform the same as the 12x zoom on the FZ20.

This post is just a rant after seeing a thread go down in flames because of DSLR purists who think that everyone else has 30000000000000000 to spend on their camera equipment.

Sadly not many beginners or new to photography know what they want.
For anyone to start on photography, a compact P&S will do. they will eventually get more equipment when they aquire the skills... be it DSLR or FZ20...

and keep the compact for everyday use...

sinlg said:
I think the argument shouldn't be about $$$.. Even if you have a packet of peanuts, it doesnt mean a dSLR will meet or supercede your demand.

Similarly, a casual photograher may just like those trendy pocket-size 3x zoom cameras, simply because it's portable and fashionable. And maybe for the types of photos he/she needs to take, that kind of camera is most suitable.

Of course, if I had a packet of peanuts, I'd just buy all kinds of cameras for all kinds of occasions! ;) just my 2 peanuts worth!

If I have a packet of peanuts, I will buy property man! Just collect rental without working.;) ;p

Humm... i think the most important factor is still the person behind the camera :)
If we don't acquire the basic skill, don't think we can take good photo even with a good dSLR he he :)

this based on what the user wants actually and what kinds of shots he wants to take..... :embrass:

Vulpix0r said:

While the FZ20 has its share of problems, its weight, size, and versatility makes it stand out against DSLRs, and people just continue to recommend DSLRs despite the person's demand which includes "must be light, compact" as I have yet to see DSLRs with a 36-432mm lens (Closes I can think of is 28-300mm?) that is priced at around 1k, and as light as the FZ20.

Of course, people still insist that DSLRs are better and throw your claims down the drain. :rolleyes: I own a DSLR, but I see the strength of a FZ20. I recently recommended a friend to get the Panasonic FZ20, despite me owning a DSLR, as his needs match the FZ20 more for his hobby, and as soon as he got it, he fell in love with it.

why do you listen to people? you have a mind right?

Vulpix0r said:
I recently recommended a friend to get the Panasonic FZ20, despite me owning a DSLR, as his needs match the FZ20 more for his hobby, and as soon as he got it, he fell in love with it.

Did u show him your DSLR?

I mostly recommends FZ series for all-in-one shooting ;)

DSLRs only when pic quality is important. Or there is a need for fast shot-to-shot time.

At the end of the day it all comes down to the person who's getting the camera.
It's his choice, no matter what anyone recommends to him, be it a DSLR or otherwise.
Yes, to some people it may get irritating to see the number of people recommending a DSLR when all he was asking for was a prosumer model which can do most of the stuff, if not all, you can do with a DSLR.
But looking at it from differing viewpoints some may do that based on his/her own experience that it would be worthwhile just to get a DSLR than spending on a compact that he'll outgrow after a few usage.
And some just like to post like a camera shop salesman.
Just don't let these things get in the way of your love for photography.

Cheers
;)

different types of camera suit different people. DSLRs are for those who are looking for top notch performance and willing to invest into a system. not many need one, even though most could afford it.

Yeah, I did. His first complain on how heavy and big it was, which was kinda true. He wanted good zooming power without breaking his bank account, and something light to carry around, so the FZ-20 was for him. Good performance without breaking the bank.

eh peanuts quite expensive leh... $600,000 as confirmed by Mrs Goh Chok Tong...

ivan said:
Humm... i think the most important factor is still the person behind the camera :)
If we don't acquire the basic skill, don't think we can take good photo even with a good dSLR he he :)

We didnt say the person behind the camera is skilled.. we just say the person is an hobbyist.. and just want to take photos. So if the person had unlimited peanuts, would the natural choice be a dSLR? and I say no ;)

Beethoven said:
eh peanuts quite expensive leh... $600,000 as confirmed by Mrs Goh Chok Tong...

not all peanuts are equal! ;) kekeekee

mpenza said:
different types of camera suit different people. DSLRs are for those who are looking for top notch performance and willing to invest into a system. not many need one, even though most could afford it.

That's absolutely true.

For instance, I'd even recommend people who need to/like to shoot macro closeups on a regular basis to buy a prosumer digicam like an Oly 8080. It's NOT that a DSLR won't do, don't misunderstand me. But for folks who like convenience, and do not want to spend that much money and yet want to have picture quality good enough even for commercial magazine reproduction, a prosumer cam like this one is ideal. You get 'more' depth of field, real time preview, an ultra low vibration leaf shutter, flash sync at all speeds, all things DSLRs and their lenses struggle to match ;-)

For the family man or hobbyist who wants a compact superzoom model, the FZ20 is a great camera, as are many other 'consumer' digicams with no interchangeable lens capability other than add ons.

Status
Not open for further replies.