Why do people argue about camera brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloth

Jul 5, 2007
Never quite understood why people have to get so defensive about their choice of camera. I read so much about people saying "my brand is better, just because I choose to use a niche brand instead of one from the big 2" or "their fans from brand x talk so much but their hardware isn't really superior" or "lots of pros use brand y even though brand x markets so much". Why can't we all get along? :dunno: it would be nice to see people keep open minds :) you've made your choice, accept it for what it is, you can arrange to get 'divorced' but it is just expensive (sell all the gear) :D

One of the things I like about CS is that it is really about the photography and less about the gear - now if only the "why brand x is better than y" threads were a bit easier to avoid.

Myself I shoot a spectrum of hardware ranging from DSLR to MF to 35mm film and own a few bits and pieces of each. But it never really was about the hardware in the first place.. it's about the image, whether I land that image on film or digital doesn't even matter :)

One of the things I like about CS is that it is really about the photography and less about the gear - now if only the "why brand x is better than y" threads were a bit easier to avoid.

are you sure about that? you need to surf more

They are either feeling insecure or jealous. Obviously they are not photographers. Sometimes its due to lack of knowledge such thread emerges every now and then.

Why? Simple answer-- human nature. It's the cause of conflicts ranging from Nikon vs Canon to film vs digital to politics to religion to philosophy.

If you could solve that, you'd save the world.

actually, what's wrong with being a gear head? hahahaha...i know some folks who buy a 85f1.2 just for the "WAAAAAAAH, look at that HUGE FRONT ELEMENT!!!" kinda feeling
nothing wrong mah....

If staring at the 3k hunk of glass makes him/her happy, then it has served its purpose!

edit:

Like ppl who buy a ferrari to drive in spore...really "no pt" from a practical perspective, but for the "WOW" factor, it sure works!

But it never really was about the hardware in the first place.. it's about the image, whether I land that image on film or digital doesn't even matter :)

I totally agree this statement. The most important is the man/woman behind the equipment. :cool:

Emotional investment and indoctrination.

Person buys X gear after believing that it performs best, cannot admit that nothing in life is perfect and turn blind eye to X brand's shortcomings. Will then defend X brand at all costs. Cannot loose face mah.

Herd mentality also has a part to play in the equation.

I still like *Yoshihisa Maitani idea of a perfect camera - no camera.

* Chief designer of the OM system.

You sure or not ?
I thought CS talk alot of equipment.

people want to know that their purchase is justified and have not been cheated. that's it.
a bit like how aunties rave on their shoes purchases, "wow, so pretty, and so cheap!"

people who usually do this takes poor photos. like what you mention, they are only good in comparing brands.

I totally agree this statement. The most important is the man/woman behind the equipment. :cool:

I fully agreed with raymanfu. End of the day, it is the person using the equipment, the expertise and know how, how well he/she understand the equipment, functionality and make full use of the equipment potential. Sometime we have to depend on luck too, be at the right place at the right time and take the shot that tell the whole story. Just my thought.

hmm.......than why are u here??? and wasted all this time typing ??? u should be out shooting rather than be borthered about all this... :p

:bsmilie:

i think we should just do away with all the brand classification in CS :devil:

Everyone is proud of what they own. But I don't see the need to argue about which camera is good v.v, just a waste of time. Some like a particular brands bcoz of the accessories that comes with it, some becoz majority using it but some bcoz they prefer to be isolated from the big players and I'm one of them. At times almost wanted to change but something tells me that I should stick to what I have. I my love for my camera rekindles.... :)

I think competition is good thing from consumer point of view, but i am also wondering even if we can get peace with the Canon vs Nikon thingy, there will still be argument in other subject like Mac vs Windows, Liverpoool vs MU, McClaren vs Ferrari, Maxonline vs ADSL etc....all these are making CS more diversify and interesting don't you agree? :lovegrin:

I think competition is good thing from consumer point of view, but i am also wondering even if we can get peace with the Canon vs Nikon thingy, there will still be argument in other subject like Mac vs Windows, Liverpoool vs MU, McClaren vs Ferrari, Maxonline vs ADSL etc....all these are making CS more diversify and interesting don't you agree? :lovegrin:

well, depends on whether most people want a CS that focus on the quality of photography or a CS that focus on equipment bitching :bsmilie:

people want to know that their purchase is justified and have not been cheated. that's it.
a bit like how aunties rave on their shoes purchases, "wow, so pretty, and so cheap!"

consumer postpurchase dissonance :bsmilie::bsmilie:

I remember nong nong ago, when I first got my Panasonic Lumix FZ-10 (black of course!), I had a LARRGE blaaack rubber hood attached to it. The hood had a red red ring in front. At Chinatown I take photo, a group of youngish photogs all carry fierce fierce DSLR peek peek to see my cam. After awhile, heard one comment to the others "Chey! Lumix only lah!" and they walk away. I just smile and continue to shoot.

Also, remember the posting of one CSer oso nong nong ago after take photo went Newton Hawker Center to makan? One ah pek hawker serving the guy food saw his DSLR and said something like "Wah! U got deegital ah? I also got! My one 1Ds har!" LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.