why do all taxi companies change shift at 5pm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaren

Staff member
Oct 27, 2003
surely there are enough taxi companies in singapore to stagger their shift-change times. it's so frustrating looking for a cab when all the empty ones from every taxi operator says "change shift" at the same time each day.

;(

Had that feeling also...
Can't get a cab at the time u need it most...
Have to spend more $ calling for 1...

probably to do with the working hours of offices. changing shift at 5pm allows the night shift drivers to ferry workers knocking off from work (vs the day shift drivers that have access to the workers going to work).

is 5pm and about the off-peak period, but nearing the peak period???

I once waited for donkey years around Katong (that road along those Katong LAksa stalls) on a Sunday 10pm. Many people waited, not a single taxi within sight.

Waited long enough, I called for a taxi... within 3 minutes, it appeared right in front of me!!! :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

AReality said:
Had that feeling also...
Can't get a cab at the time u need it most...
Have to spend more $ calling for 1...

they purposely put up "change shift" or "on call" so that you'll call and they'll earn more $$$. its a trend for years.

u know what? i feel the exact same way too... it's quite annoying la... and strange too cos they have so many competition and complain abt bad business but they dunno they can remedy it by at least a bit...

The taxi drivers doing that are actually breaking their ricebowls. With people assuming shortage of taxis, complaints will be made to the taxi company to introduce more new taxis...creating more competition for themselves.

talking about cutthroat competition among taxi companies/drivers...this actually happened last week...

A couple booked a Silvercab to travel to changi airport early in the morning. the silvercab was slightly late becos he got the address mixed up and called to say he was on his way, after clarifying the correct address. shortly afterwards, an empty cab from another taxi company pulled up in front of the couple, saw their luggage and asked if they were going to Changi airport. The couple said yes, they were waiting for the Silvercab. Then the driver of the cab claimed the Silvercab broke down and the Silvercab driver asked him to take them to Changi airport instead. The couple believed the cab driver and went off with him. 5 mins later the Silvercab showed up but the couple had already left.

We often hear the cabbies saying that there are too many cabs on the road and it's hard for them to make a living. But then, where on earth are those cabs when we need them?

Sometimes you don't see any ... go make a call to book one ... and they pop outta nowhere real fast.

Worse is many of the drivers nowdays are driving as if we owe them millions of dollars. Sometimes I'm tempted to ask them to stop and let me alight ... then set their cab on fire :angry:

It's not easy life for a taxi driver dude.... they start at 5am - 5pm u want them to work until what time? The nite drive start from 5pm - 5am... then they need to clean the car before handing over... the rental is not cheap leh.... if you cannot wait take bus or mrt lor... I do curse them sometime but no choice got buy to earn a living man just like u and me...
:)

zaren said:
surely there are enough taxi companies in singapore to stagger their shift-change times. it's so frustrating looking for a cab when all the empty ones from every taxi operator says "change shift" at the same time each day.

;(

Because...

The day shift guy gets the morning peak hour period to pick up passengers and the night shift one gets the evening peak hour period.

When I wanna take cab, no cab. When I don't wanna take cab, cabs everywhere. :sticktong

Drudkh said:
they purposely put up "change shift" or "on call" so that you'll call and they'll earn more $$$. its a trend for years.
just encountered it last night around suntec/esplanade/cityhall
damn sneaky cos I walked through these places I kept seeing this same cab with on call sign -- obviously he's not on call cos he moved from suntec to cityhall!
should have a cabby marshal to take down and blacklist such cabbies.
the roads were running with empty cabs with on call signs EVERYWHERE!
:(:(

Talking about taxi drivers, it's a pretty hard life for taxi drivers. So whenever they start to complain to me, I just offer my listening ear.

Often, it's about how the government is now collecting back what they gave during the SARS period, young punks who dash out of the taxi without paying, robbery at knife point etc.

There are also very nice taxi drivers too. I remember when I was in junior college and took a cab from home to school (about 15 minutes away). When I arrived at school, I realised that I did not bring my wallet with me. The nice man knew it was an honest mistake on my part and even offered to give me a couple of dollars for lunch! Of course, I didn't take it as I was already greatful for the free ride. :thumbsup:

Of course, there are also those who hide at around 2345hrs, and those who cut three lanes within thirty meters to pick up passengers etc. :angry:

Btw, do any of you encounter taxi cabs who refuse to take credit cards? If they do, you can inform the cab company and they willl take the appropriate actions.

But always tell the drivers that you are paying by credit card before he stops the meter or it will be bloody troublesome for him to re-key for a credit card transaction. (There usually is an admin charge if you use credit cards.)

I seldom take taxi, but can pay by credit card? can pay by nets?

My experience regarding:

1)changing shift:- yes
2) no cab so call and one so fast appear: yes
3) some cab hanging "call sign" and go around... yes (but I think comfort cab can't do that anymore.)
4) someone claiming the taxi I booked broke down and sent his taxi to pick me up..... This one classic....Haven't encounter before.

The following is what I know regarding taxi drivers who suffer:-
1) young ones on contract new to the business usually drive 18 hours a day to cover rent and without relief driver.
2) old ones health problem due to driving so many years now drive lesser hours so earn less.

wanted to share this experience on tuesday night at 10:30 PM, I waited 1 hour and a half for a taxi. I called and called but got the recording " I'm sorry, there are no taxi's available" many, many times. Ended up walking from Riverside to Suntec before i got a cab.
grrr....
apparently blondie concert...

Status
Not open for further replies.