why do a lot of photographers have 50mm lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Yeo

Feb 27, 2004
Sengkang
www.boo.sg
it seems that a lot of photographers have this 50mm lens.

it seemed to me that it is a "standard" lens....can someone tell me why this 50mm lens is so common?

what's the purpose of a 50mm lens?

and should i buy it?

Not just that, and the other reason is the focal length is roughly what our eyes see.

Lens is light; images are sharp. I use my 50mm f1.4 for walkabout esp during vacations.

but without zoom, don't u find it a bit hard to use? if i want to take a pic ...if the subject not near enough, i have to walk nearer or move backward ....

unlike zoom lens, i can compose while i am standing at a fixed place....

(I sounded lazy huh!)

Paul_Yeo said:

i find that even if using a zoom lens should still try to move around to change composition instead of just zooming in and out. moving changes perspective and affects the relationship between different objects in the viewfinder. this encourages us to think more about background and composition, instead of just zoom in, put the main subject at a 1/3 position and snap.

Paul_Yeo said:
but without zoom, don't u find it a bit hard to use? if i want to take a pic ...if the subject not near enough, i have to walk nearer or move backward ....

(I sounded lazy huh!)

It's popular because it's the Standard Lense, and most makes of it @ f1.8/f1.7 is the cheapest.

Why is it hard to use? It's normally a step or two in front or behind if u need the framing. Don't be lazy on the foot. ;)

In fact, I find the 50mm one of the fun lense to use. It's cheap (the 1.8 or 1.7), light, fast focusing, and not to mention sharp and contrasty image quality.

Paul_Yeo said:

(I sounded lazy huh!)
Hi Paul. I use zooms for casual shoots. To challenge myself I use primes.
I find that using prime lenses is a great way to learn about a particular focal length (when and how best to use a partical focal length).

Let's say I only have a 24mm with me and I see a park bench. By being restricted to just one length I'm forced to think of how best to compose a shot of the bench using a 24mm.

Then on a different day I would carry a 105mm macro. Shooting the same bench would involve an entirely different approach.

By doing this I learn the properties of various focal lengths, and develop my own style and technique of using various focal lengths.

Hope I made sense.

AJ23 said:
It's popular because it's the Standard Lense, and most makes of it @ f1.8/f1.7 is the cheapest.

Why is it hard to use? It's normally a step or two in front or behind if u need the framing. Don't be lazy on the foot. ;)

In fact, I find the 50mm one of the fun lense to use. It's cheap (the 1.8 or 1.7), light, fast focusing, and not to mention sharp and contrasty image quality.

I've got the 50mm from AJ23... and been really enjoying using it ... yes it is a "can use to" no zoom but it will some how grow on it.

:)

BUT! with the 1.5x or 1.6x factor of digital SLR, 50mm is actually around 80mm liao,right?

Paul_Yeo said:
BUT! with the 1.5x or 1.6x factor of digital SLR, 50mm is actually around 80mm liao,right?

80mm is the DOF

Paul_Yeo said:

Your 50mm mounted on a digital cam would then be a good fast, cheap portrait lens.

Paul_Yeo said:

Yes, that's correct. For the 1.5x FLM, it's a 75mm equivalent in 35mm format, for 1.6x FLM, it's a 80mm equivalent in 35mm format.

To get the equivalent of 50mm (35mm format), the closest would be a 35mm lense, but most 35mm lense from Nikon or Canon or whatever, costs much more than the standard 50mm lense.

AJ23 said:
Nikkor AF-D 50mm f/1.8 is about S$170-180.

Nikkor AF-D 50mm f/1.4 is about S$450.

Oh no! I am going to BUY BUY BUY 50mm f/1.8 soon !!! :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.