Why did my shot turn out this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaoxing

Feb 16, 2003
Bedok, Singapore
Visit site
Noob question: Please refer to the following photo. It's a shame it did not turn out well. Shot was taken using 300D with kit lens, at f/5.6, 1/15 s shutter, and flash was used. Why is it that we can see something like "a strip of curtain" on her cheek?

3270Stef.jpg

Apologies to Stefanie if you see this. Please let me know if you want it removed.

Anyone knows how this photo can be repaired/edited?

seems like its a motion artifect. if you look carefully, her arms are blured as well.

I think the window, was initially captured. Your friend the subsequently "occupied" the space where the window was. But the light from the window, being brighter, showed up as this stripe.

I am sure you are handholding the camera right? Why would you want to use a flash and a 1/15 shutter speed? What effect were you trying to achieve? Looks like slow shutter and camera shake causes this.

i tink its coz the shutter speed too SLOW....1/15 le....

OR prob due to the usuage of a rear curtain flash....

teacher how come u got these lobang never tell me ahhaa...

cheers..

yaoxing, you were lucky to even have AF getting her in focus in your office. i vaguely remember it's fairly dimly lit in there...

Try setting at a higher shutter speed next time, it should solve the prob :).

Basically don't use aperture priority mode on the 300D when using a hotshoe mounted flash. The on board computer in the 300D has slow-sync flash set as a default mode. Try using shutter priority or manual instead.

yaoxing said:
Anyone knows how this photo can be repaired/edited?

How's about this?
160843270Stefa.jpg

Stoned said:
Basically don't use aperture priority mode on the 300D when using a hotshoe mounted flash. The on board computer in the 300D has slow-sync flash set as a default mode. Try using shutter priority or manual instead.

Thanks, lesson learnt. Shouldn't have experimented my flash photography for such rare opportunities.

Witness said:
i tink its coz the shutter speed too SLOW....1/15 le....

OR prob due to the usuage of a rear curtain flash....

teacher how come u got these lobang never tell me ahhaa...

cheers..

Some lobangs are classified as "Confidential" until it's due to be announced. I had only 15 minutes to respond after it was announced. So I can only bring my gear and wait for her arrival with the student photographers. Anyway, the students' response was quite overwhelming.

yaoxing said:
Thanks! You used what tool to remove the wrinkles on her neck? I tried using clone stamp tool to "patch" up the white strip.

i used both clone tool and healing brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.