Why Dark Side? Why Light Side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebastiansong

Jan 20, 2002
Singapore
www.pbase.com
Pardon my ignorance but i've noticed all this welcome to Dark Side(Canon) and Olympus (light side) whatever whatever

just curious how the jedi terminology got involved in the camera systems?

anyone wanna enlighten me??? thnx in advance

hello, welcome to clubsnap. i dont know if u really know or not but there is one intepretation among the many of the jedi terminology:

canon paints their telephoto lenses WHITE. so people jokingly refer to a canon user as: "welcome to the light side"

the main rival, nikon, doesnot paint their telephoto lenses white. they remain BLACK. so people jokingly refer to nikon user as" welcome to the DARK side"

a bit of history(i hope i got the facts right): when canon decided to trash their FD system and start all over anew with their EOS system back in 1988, many were sceptical. at that time, most pros were using nikons, and mostly still manual focus. when canon came out with EOS, ther main draw was USM. very soon, it caught up. records showed that many pros defected from nikons and started to endorse EOS, especially sports photogs. the ever familiar scene of a sea of WHITE lenses swarming at big events was born then.

continued:

so the trend came on till this day, 2002. even when nikon fought back with their F5 in 1995, they still only got AFD. lenses. and many people preferred canon's USM lenses....it was until around 1997 that nikon came out with AFS lenses..but then only limited to the f2.8 pro-zooms and super teles. so now, in this modern day, whever a canon user switches sides to go and use nikons, people joke and welcome him: "welcome to the dark side"
and when a loyal nikon user finally got tempted by EOS and went over to use canon, people joke again and say: "congrats, u just escaped from the DARK side"

anyway, who cares what u use. as long as u know how to take good photos, anything can go. but stil,, give me good quality equiptment anytime :)

cheerios

hmmm.... actually, i always thought that, in ClubSNAP that is, the light side was the film world and the dark side was the digital world .... :dunno: ... or was it the other way around?

But for sure, the dark/light side wasn't referring to any particular brand.

:dunno: :dunno:

Wah...interesting account from clive, I'm not even aware there's a light side.

As far as I know, in Clubsnap forums, when one says an individual has come over to the dark side, it usually meant that the bugger has switched from his/her consumer or prosumer DC to a (D)SLR. ;)

so my suspicions were confirmed...

different folks have different interpretations for the "Light/Dark" sides as their responses suggest different ideas...:p

I always thought the "Dark Side" is the brand of the competitor of the brand which the owner is using?

Dark side for Canon = Nikon
Dark side for Nikon = Canon

and so on?

:D

Regards
CK

Originally posted by AdamGoi
As far as I know, in Clubsnap forums, when one says an individual has come over to the dark side, it usually meant that the bugger has switched from his/her consumer or prosumer DC to a (D)SLR. ;)
ya that's what i thought so too, but no necessarily a digital SLR, but film SLR also...

no particular brand association...

actually i don't care wat side i'm in.. (a mix of everything)... i juz hope my pictures don't come out kanna 'sai' !:confused:

Olympus -Light, Canon - Dark

Dunno why .. dun ask me . haha

so funny I got both sides...

anyway if u look at any living thing the top side is always dark but the bottom is white... eg fish birds animals etc... :D
natural order of things..

all e while i thought Nikon is Dark Side n Canon is light side cos of colors of lenses also..
but dunno bout y olympus is being called light side n y canon dark

Okay... what the hell..???

I think you guys have been dreaming over Star Wars too much...
Yeah, that girl's pretty, but...........

*sigh*
Anakin Skywalker...
*looks up*
*whaps herself*:D

Status
Not open for further replies.