WHY Cser are stingy with their comment ?

Why CSer Stingy with their comment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, me no stingy, I'll start commenting on every single post from now.

taste is such a grey area that posting an image for comments can actually be bad for your photography skills
You start adjusting your photos to suit other people

the clubsnap gallery's abit of a pain to look through, people upload photos by the tons.
at least when someone actually puts up a post here with images it shows the person actually values his or her work enough to take the effort to post it up

And, as with any other media form, if people comment, it's probably two things
1) They're being nice and helpful
2) The picture actually made them stop (either in interest or in horror) and take the effort to type in comments

hehe... i met this guy up last week and he said he wont comment on the "mostly rubbish pix" in this forum. and he said that many of the post pix here just cannot take hard comments. so maybe he got a point lor.
but then when i look again at my own pix... i think i got a long way to go... so must improve first before posting anymore. :p

mattlock said:
You start adjusting your photos to suit other people

And, as with any other media form, if people comment, it's probably two things
1) They're being nice and helpful
2) The picture actually made them stop (either in interest or in horror) and take the effort to type in comments

I think it will be a bit of a disaster if one starts to adjust one's photos to suit others. I think the proper way to "utilise" the comments/critiques is to consider them and then make your own decisions which to ignore and which to value. The comments are merely there to provide feedback, some of course more valuable than others.

I agree with your comments (1) and (2)

Only those "in the middle quality" deserve constructive (technical) comments. Shows that they have put in the time/ effort to obtain the basic skills. Hard to comment on "taste," so can only comment of different variations for the creator to experiment.

Those too bad; the image creator needs to do his basic homework/ classwork/ coursework first. Show some respect for the people here ma...

Those too good; technically, that is, need no comment. However, this may attract a lot "very good" "excellent" "AAA+++" kinda goose pimplish le.. I imagine the thread will stay on the internet for forever and ever scares the hell out of me....

If you don't believe me, search you own name with the search engines ....

The problem of a lack of feedback or comment exists everywhere. The same complaint can be found in writer and artist forums/groups all the time. There are good reasons for this.

Constructive and USEFUL criticism of any piece of art is hard work. Just saying "Nice work" may make the artist feel good and "What a load of s**t" hurts, but neither type of comment really helps the artist/photographer develop his/her skills. Even brief comments like "Your composition could be better" are not much help unless followed with an explaination as to why the writer thinks the composition is weak AND how it could have been improved.

In many cases it is difficult to comment on a photo unless the exact circumstances under which the shot was made and the photographer's intentions and equipment are known. A shot would be considered very good if taken from the back of a moving pick up truck. The same shot would be considered awful if it was the result of hours of set up and a dozen assistants with reflectors. Was the photographer trying to make use of light and shadow or was it just underexposed? Was he attempting "soft focus" or was it just bad focus?

I think that you will find that in those lucky groups where there is consistent and quality feedback, it is usually a few dedicated and skilled artists who are trying to pass on their hard earned knowledge.

One idea that I saw in a writer's discussion group was a commonly agreed coding system used by all posters. I cannot remember the actual system, but it was something like (*) - no comments, (**) - Like/Don't Like, (***) - Serious criticism wanted.

One final point. Many people do not really want comments. They just want compliments.

Agree with above...

Perhaps there could be a voting system for judging various aspects of the photo, e.g. composition, lighting, effects, etc...., which can provide guidance and cross check for budding amateurs. There may also be a section or forum for avant-garde works that explore new personal frontiers of the art (personal not necessarily original).

Since it's probably not possible for part-time photographers to have total knowledge, constructive comments are helpful to encourage photography in Singapore. Here's an example I found that can help lead the way - "The only improvement I could suggest is a little bit of fill light snooted ........ as these parts.... are obscured by just a little too much shadow".

If you want criticisms, then be specific about what kind of criticism and comments you want
Comments on the composition, the lighting, the expression, or what?
Some photographers feel the expressions are the most important and keep lighting plain, some photographers feel light is everything and keep the model like a prop.
I can bet you that if you're more specific with what kind of crit you want you'll get more comments.

and I don't agree with you, VeryWeird
sometimes us photographers spend the whole day setting up and the best shot is the polaroid you took at the start of the session just for fun.
I believe in the importance of process but personally I believe in letting the final image speak for itself

Exactly.... I pleased that there is opportunity for the scope of the critical areas to widen. Fantastic! Or it could even be narrowed or simplified. Marvelous! Either way, I'd appreciate it since at the end of the day, it helps me to shoot more and expand my boundaries.

Is there a real demand for this? Even though it may not be possible to achieve any conclusion in a forum, let's have some more discussion . ... Great!

I think it's because they don't know you.. so they don't comment

yanyewkay said:
I think it's because they don't know you.. so they don't comment

I have the same sentiments as you. Well....

Sorry, perhaps I was not very clear . I do not hold a "grab" shot of less worth than a prepared studio shot. What I meant is that the critic can only make a sensible comment if he (the critic) is aware of the circumstances under which the shot was taken. Context often lends significance to an otherwise normal image, especially in the case of reportage. To take your example, a critic could waste a lot of time commenting on the (say) lack of resolution of your polaroid image as compared to the rest of the session shots unless he was told that the first shot was a polaroid and the rest 6x6 trannies and that he was not being asked to compare them in terms of image quality. Remember, we are discussing posts to the Clubsnap galleries and forums, not an exhibition or even a physical album. All the critic knows is what he sees on his monitor.

--------------------------
<snip>
and I don't agree with you, VeryWeird
sometimes us photographers spend the whole day setting up and the best shot is the polaroid you took at the start of the session just for fun.
I believe in the importance of process but personally I believe in letting the final image speak for itself[/QUOTE]

in asia, it is considered rude to criticise
especially in public
like in these forums
so people feel if got nothing good to say, then say nothing.
yes, picture poster may actually invite remarks
but when they are critical beyond a limit, he may be hurt and then retaliate in angry response
since we have this hobby to enjoy and not to quarrel or stress ourselves, then most times just keep quiet.
I have seen in real life a situation turn nasty when one friend invited comments and another friend criticised the shot. The whole ugly incident played before my very eyes, in public.

Mmmm.. I think there's many reasons why CSer posts their photos, like:

a) Something they like and want to share with others
b) Some shoots which they want pointers to improve their works
c) Show some photos of some events here and there...
and many other reasons..

So not necessary to post comments on all photos.. :bsmilie:
Just post on those which I feel I can help... unfortunately I still newbie.. so can't help much... :embrass:

It depends on the interest of titles.. and personally, if I had the time, I will look through the post, and comments.. but worreid tat what I commented is offending.. or that maybe mistaken due to language/expression...

but generally, not all post will be commented...

Cheers... ;)

Verywierd said:
Constructive and USEFUL criticism of any piece of art is hard work. Just saying "Nice work" may make the artist feel good and "What a load of s**t" hurts, but neither type of comment really helps the artist/photographer develop his/her skills. Even brief comments like "Your composition could be better" are not much help unless followed with an explaination as to why the writer thinks the composition is weak AND how it could have been improved.

In many cases it is difficult to comment on a photo unless the exact circumstances under which the shot was made and the photographer's intentions and equipment are known. A shot would be considered very good if taken from the back of a moving pick up truck. The same shot would be considered awful if it was the result of hours of set up and a dozen assistants with reflectors. Was the photographer trying to make use of light and shadow or was it just underexposed? Was he attempting "soft focus" or was it just bad focus?

I think that you will find that in those lucky groups where there is consistent and quality feedback, it is usually a few dedicated and skilled artists who are trying to pass on their hard earned knowledge.

One final point. Many people do not really want comments. They just want compliments.

I agree with your points... my sentiments really... which is also why I never bothered to post pictures... I only ask for technical advice rather than aesthetic advice most of the time... and in reality most of the work here requires better mastery of the technical aspect before the aesthetic aspect can be tackled.... I include myself in this group of people.

besh said:
I believe most of you ever experienced this issue...
When you took some shot, and wanted some comment or advice.....

and after couple of minutes.... hour..... days......

the viewers # shoot up to hundred/thousand..... and comment is less than 10% over the #view..... why ?

** IT's NOT why you don't give comments, but what make you think members don't give comment?

Hi...

I think the readers are very willing to comment. Just look at the amount of messages posted in all the threats.
I think readers are selfless.
They are a great source when you ask for help as they reflect their personal experiences.

Well done all!

it is mostly meaningless to comment on mediocre picture.
there is so many medium to explore from and learn from.

i refrain from posting comment unless i think they really impressed me or they down right repulse me. in these situation, i cannot but help say out loud i like or hate the pictures.

for those that expect constructive criticisms, please have a basic understanding of aesthetic before you ask people for comment on obviously under exposed or a plainly poor picture.

Think most are not stingy. Just being afraid to offend people or have the poster challenge him to post his.

Actually, I do seen a few useful critique and learn even when the pic is not my.

Status
Not open for further replies.