Why Compact Flash Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lingfoo

Mar 6, 2004
SG, Currently
Compact Flash memory had been out for quite some time now, while new digital camera are moving to use more efficient momory, why are Digital SLR still stuck to Compact flash? Take Olympus C750 for example, this camera is using xD memory and the recording time is much much faster compare to the old Compact Flash, even Compact Flash Type II.

Another problem with Compact Flash memory cards is that the chip exposure area is much larger than other memory, both SD and xD memory have smaller exposer area. CF exposure area are more vulnerable to dust and humidity, and have to be kept in Dry Cabinet, while other memory card are less troublesome.

Can anyone tell me why?

Maybe compact flash is the only format with an affordable price tag for >512MB? Many DSLR users shoot a lot and I think quite a few of the DSLR owners on CS own the 1GB microdrive.... most other formats have reached only 256 or 512MB and they are not very affordable expecially xD or SD cards which are really small and fast.... maybe it takes time for a change..... since many amateurs/pros/freelancers who use DSLRs still have stocks of CF cards and so still need to make the DSLRs compatible with the storage of the camera's intended target?

why does compact camreas dun use CF card. there are a few reasons one of them is beause they are compact and size is a issue to them.

and Compact flash i guess is here to stay. i just got a 1GB for my DSLR and i think it's just enough for JPG shooting. if i bought any other form of medium which has 1GB it's gonna cost me a bomb. another point is that DSLR dun have size issues. they are already quite big.

so just my 2 cents.

SianZronG said:
why does compact camreas dun use CF card. there are a few reasons one of them is beause they are compact and size is a issue to them.

and Compact flash i guess is here to stay. i just got a 1GB for my DSLR and i think it's just enough for JPG shooting. if i bought any other form of medium which has 1GB it's gonna cost me a bomb. another point is that DSLR dun have size issues. they are already quite big.

so just my 2 cents.

I suppose even DSLRs could benefit from smaller memory cards and this may free up space for other stuff, like more batteries, or multiple card formats, or more electronic gadgetry.... I dunno but I'm sure they can find some use for the space freed up....... :)

Actually I'm planing to get the Canon EOS 300D, and knowing that it is using CF, I'm a bit concern about the durability of the memory. Won't like to have CF phase out in a couple of years time after my purchase.

Did anyone encounter any issues with your CF? Please let me know :D

Btw, anyone selling 300D? dun mind 2nd hand, looking for original Kit set. The lens seems good for scenic shots. :D:D:D

lingfoo said:
Actually I'm planing to get the Canon EOS 300D, and knowing that it is using CF, I'm a bit concern about the durability of the memory. Won't like to have CF phase out in a couple of years time after my purchase.

Btw, anyone selling 300D? dun mind 2nd hand, looking for original Kit set. The lens seems good for scenic shots. :D:D:D

I think there are a few floating around under B&S forum. Just keep a sharp look out...

TME said:
I think there are a few floating around under B&S forum. Just keep a sharp look out...

Thanks. had saw a few as well. still evaluating.

Actually would like it to be using xD... heheheh:D:D:D

Still, any bad or unpleasant experience with Compact Flash anyone???

lingfoo said:
Thanks. had saw a few as well. still evaluating.

Actually would like it to be using xD... heheheh:D:D:D

Still, any bad or unpleasant experience with Compact Flash anyone???

I've only limited experience (3 days with a D30) and it writes rather slowly. My experience with xD (albeit with a P&S Oly mju 300) was much better as its write speed was much faster.

TME said:
I've only limited experience (3 days with a D30) and it writes rather slowly. My experience with xD (albeit with a P&S Oly mju 300) was much better as its write speed was much faster.

So how would u rate that upon trying two? ok? acceptable? intolerable? or totally insane... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I've also heard there is significant diff btw CF Type I and Type II.. how much diff in terms of writing speed are they???
:think:

lingfoo said:
So how would u rate that upon trying two? ok? acceptable? intolerable? or totally insane... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I've also heard there is significant diff btw CF Type I and Type II.. how much diff in terms of writing speed are they???
:think:

I used Type I and it's ok if u are into single shot. But if your camera supports really fast drive modes like 3 fps, then I think u might be frustrated if u dun get the higher end CF which have much faster write speeds and these cost a lot more I think..... I dun know about the diff between Type I and II cos I never use before.

TME said:
I used Type I and it's ok if u are into single shot. But if your camera supports really fast drive modes like 3 fps, then I think u might be frustrated if u dun get the higher end CF which have much faster write speeds and these cost a lot more I think..... I dun know about the diff between Type I and II cos I never use before.

tqtq, me thinks me get what you mean... won't be too high end on those shot... just yet... but I'm a bit the Geeky type... so ya know, always dive into details technically, and I find that kinda interestoing.

I think your DSLR will be obsolutte first b4 they even phase out the CF

lingfoo said:

insport said:

ok, disregard about the CF phasing out, why u say the 300D will be phasing out??? :bigeyes:

insport said:

Quite likely tho still u never know ... the floppy survived till now..... CF is such a huge part of digital photography in part that it is reliable, cheap and has a huge user base.... but I won't be too sure as there is a concerted drive to adopt either xD or SD as the de facto standard.......

TME said:
Quite likely tho still u never know ... the floppy survived till now..... CF is such a huge part of digital photography in part that it is reliable, cheap and has a huge user base.... but I won't be too sure as there is a concerted drive to adopt either xD or SD as the de facto standard.......

Point taken. but base on the fact that more and more digital devices are adoping smaller and more efficient storage, like u said, there is a concerted drive to support dadadadadaa..... wuz actually thinking the inter-usability of the CF later on...

I am not sure if you have made a fair comparison :

XD cards, according to specs, are not fast cards, unlike the fast SD Cards.
In terms of exposure area, CF has very little exposure area, so that makes me think whether you are refering to SM. CF is also known to be highly resistant to abuse compared to other media types.

Lower end DSLR (and esp older ones) don't have fast memory interface, so that will slow down the write speed even further. Also the files they have to write are often bigger than the small compact cameras using the XD cards. So are we talking about apple to oranges here?

Buffer size and utilization also make a big difference in perceived write speed. For eg, I have shot 22x 5mp shots at 3fps using a 7hi before I have to stop. How fast it writes isn't too important to me as I don't feel the camera slowing down. The fastest writing camera writing directly to the fastest flash card without using the buffer will feels like a snail in comparison. So which is faster? Are these factor considered before making a comparison?

lingfoo said:
Compact Flash memory had been out for quite some time now, while new digital camera are moving to use more efficient momory, why are Digital SLR still stuck to Compact flash? Take Olympus C750 for example, this camera is using xD memory and the recording time is much much faster compare to the old Compact Flash, even Compact Flash Type II.

Another problem with Compact Flash memory cards is that the chip exposure area is much larger than other memory, both SD and xD memory have smaller exposer area. CF exposure area are more vulnerable to dust and humidity, and have to be kept in Dry Cabinet, while other memory card are less troublesome.

Can anyone tell me why?

Recording speed from a camera to a memory card has a few factors, the writing speed of the card itself and the speed the manufacturer made the camera writes at.

Is there a old compact flash? I do not know of that. Is a compact flash type II faster than a type I? Do not think it is necessary true. Sandisk Ultra II is a type I card that is way faster than a IBM/Hitachi MicroDrive, which is in type II packaging (or in another word compatible to type II slot, whichever you like to be known as).

Share with me more information that I missed out
Christopher

CF and SD are largely open platform, so in terms of acceptance they will be higher than the rest, and hence cheaper.

Basically from a economic point of view for most of the manufacturers, the choice is CF first, and if CF is too big for the job, SD. The few companies locked into their own memory form factor has little choice, they have to support their own product. (MS for Sony, XD for Fuji & Olympus)

CF phase out? Not anytime soon. A comparison will be with computer's hard disk form factor. CF is like 3.5" and SD like 2.5". If your computer (desktop) is big enough to use 3.5"(CF), use it. No one building a laptop or a X-drive will bother with 3.5", they will use 2.5"(SD) instead because of the requirement in size.

lingfoo said:

Can anyone tell me why?

1) Capacity = No other memory media can match the Compact Flash or it's brother, the MicroDrive in capacity. Currently largest CF, I know is 8GB.
xD, SD, MS Pro...etc are still trying to keep up with 1GB and perhpas 2GB (for MS Pro)

2) Speed = while most slower speed CF cannot match the xD and SD and newer media in speed, faster CFs are being developed, Fastest CF is Lexar 80X.

3) Cost = Cost per MB, is still cheaper if you are not using the ultra high speed ones. A 1GB Hagiwara 30X (orange) is abt $350, a 1GB MS PRO will be several hundred dollars more. try asking the price of a 1GB xD.

4) Competition = There are many brands of CF and this is good for competition and helps bring prices down. xD, SD and MS PRO..etc only have a few makers and their prices are pretty controlled and are less likely to have price changes.

When I was shopping with a friend for a PDA that can read both CF and SD, the sales girl remarked "Why do you need CF, it's going to be outdated soon"

I wanted to laugh.

Just like years ago, many people predicted that CRT will be dead and LCD will rule, but now, CRT are still going strong despite the cheaper LCD prices.

Just as people predicted the CDROM will be gone with the introduction of DVDROM, up till today.
No Operating system or commerical software has been released on DVD-ROM.

Canon 1D MK II is capable of using 2 type of memory card. Is that indicating something?

btw, guys, can u still edit ur post after posted?

Status
Not open for further replies.