Why can't we wear shorts to the office?

They like shorts and long socks :)

shorts-australian-400.jpg

Trousers too loose.

Mozzies can fly in and bite.

:bsmilie:

In such a climate why can't we wear shorts to the office?

I'm sure the girls, ladies and aunties love to see us in a pants.

What are the bosses are afraid of?

23jkar7.jpg

hairy legs hahaha

why not the ladies wear shorts? they seem immune to the cold no matter how low the temperature is anyway. :think:

You are right.

I'm starting to see many aunties wearing shorts to go to do marketing in wet marketn the morning. :)

It's a progress... surely not too far into the future, those aunties will wear hotpants.

The corporate look thing is still very deep inside our brain. We try to imitate the ANG moh because they came from temperate countries where they need to dress that way to keep warm.

The British actually realize it is better to be in shorts. Those were the days when our police wear shorts! Well, the civil servant can lead with T shirt and short. I am sure it will work fine with everyone here.

agree....
it's only after the tech industry dressed down and 'everyday is casual day', then we dressed down too. at least nowadays we don't need to wear tie, most of us anyway.

shorts-at-work-g.jpg

.. can still wear formally with tie and shorts ..

Yeah it's rather ridiculous.So many women now have been seen frequenting the office in tank tops and miniskirts.Many of those miniskirts are so high that when they sit down they look no different from shortpants.So why are corporations still shunning the idea of men wearing shorts?Even on fridays we arent allowed to wear any pants less than full length.Shorts of knee length or less,but not too short,would be great.I've seen lads on weekends in polo t and slim fit berms and it looks great,better than some of the attires the ladies come in the office in.If women can challenge the concept of modesty and force acceptance of their exposure upon society and even extend that to the workplace,surely men can challenge the conventions of office formal and push for shorts to be accepted as office wear?I hope some of the men who do have a voice in making such decisions would help us speak up to get our rights.I hope those men who firmly believe in wearing longs to work wouldnt oppose the rest who'd favor wearing shorts,just like those women in a proper formal havent complained against those in minis.

Being in shorts can help ventilate the legs and under regions,which is more healthy and reduces skin problems;for those of us who can't put on a skirt.By the way,I wonder which govt/private body actually decides what dresscodes should be?Or do companies just sync their minds together,hence resulting in a similar dresscode everywhere?

I think anyone who agrees that men should be allowed to wear shorts to work,at least on fridays,should "Like" this thread,to express their support.

Last edited:
Allowing guys to wear shorts to office is akin to opening a can of worms.
Firstly, how short can the short be? touching the knees? 5 inches up? 12" or higher up?
Secondly how baggy will you allow your short to get? If too baggy, then what if your female colleagues are caught video tapping "upshort" movie clips?
Thirdly, shorts show a lot of hairs, some more, some less. Do you think this will improve productivity in the office?

Shorts when half the office crew is wearing jackets and cardigans thanks to the operational skills of local building infra teams?

On an average most bosses do not look very good. If they allowed shorts and they came in shorts - the sniggering will never stop. Image shiny top, squat body, stubby legs with or without lots of leg hair.

Allowing guys to wear shorts to office is akin to opening a can of worms.
Firstly, how short can the short be? touching the knees? 5 inches up? 12" or higher up?
Secondly how baggy will you allow your short to get? If too baggy, then what if your female colleagues are caught video tapping "upshort" movie clips?
Thirdly, shorts show a lot of hairs, some more, some less. Do you think this will improve productivity in the office?

The can of worms had already been open with just about any kind of miniskirts allowed,even faded patchy kinds.Not to mention those tank tops with holes.I would suggest a limit of knee length or two thirds of that as a standard,with strict tailoring requirements so those too baggy as u said wont be permitted,and also those "holiday" ones like boardshorts not get in.That is more than i can say for the miniskirts which can get real short(half knee length or less),which is exactly what u fear for shorts being allowed(so it has happened already).Seriously,men dress better in public nowadays,so those who might break the presentability code would be very few and far between.Plus,if such an acceptance be implemented,people are all still new to the idea,i doubt many would take to it,let alone wear something totally unbefitting.
They can go ahead and take "upshorts" photo if they arent afraid of being sued.Last I remembered it's illegal to take a woman "upskirt".I'm sure the same principle applies here.It's harder to take such shots for shorts than for skirts anyway.Furthermore,we shouldnt submit to those who seek to insult our modesty,the same way women refuse to put on more clothes to avoid sexual predators.

Why not improve productivity?With more comfort and room to move,I'm sure employees can put in greater efforts.It feels good to have restrictions removed so you can do your utmost for the company!
What has hair got to do with productivity?Just dont let your thoughts(and eyes) wander inappropriately

Last edited:
you can open your own company and get a office in raffles place. You can run around your office naked also no one will bother

because not everyone has the same fashion sense?

%5Bclothing-pants-014%5D__Kick_Boxing,Thai_Boxing_shorts-3-360x270.jpg

Shorts.jpg

port_663.jpg

last image shot by Rachel Lim and Jaymz Wong from Singapore titled "People on Rocks. From series, 'Chinese Happy People'," and won an award at last year's KLPA

Last edited:
because your lady boss dont like the short short one.

Perhaps they need to be taught not to get provoked by part of men's exposed leg skin,just like women are always saying men need to be "taught" not to get provoked by women's bare skin?

It seem as if nations endorsed by the UN have no qualms about committing misandry,so long as the women are happy.I've seen women,mainly the younger ones,turn up at work in tank tops or t shirts and short casual skirt or miniskirt,some even with slippers,and act like nothing is out of place,and nobody tells them otherwise either.Whereas I see all men in long sleeved shirts,long pants and shoes;not a single man in shorts or t shirt or slippers.Even amongst the older staff,i've seen the women in sandals or slippers,but not one single man in slippers,all are wearing shoes.I dont know how the men can stand being the ones who are more strictly enforced upon,despite after it being the men themselves who gave up 2.5 years of their prime in hard service to the nation.It seems among private firms,the inequality is more stark than in government companies.

I have links to some blog articles in support of allowing men to wear appropriate shorts to the office,but this forum doesnt allow me to post links

Last edited:
Check with anyone maintaining building system. 9 out of 10 complaints that air con is too warm come from Singaporean. Too cold, People from temperate countries.

Walk into most server rooms, temperature is freezing cold! Look carefully, design is all wrong. They are cooling the room not the racks!

Most would require temp at 22 C. Actually 25 C with good air circulation is already comfortable. It is the humidity that needs to be controlled. Start with government buildings, slowly people will accept 25C. We don't switch on aircon at home if it is 25C.