why can't they build compact full frame ?

ehchang

May 11, 2011
there could be a simple answer to this but it puzzles me for quite sometimes.
Last time we can have film compact camera with zoom. can't they replace the film size with an equal size sensor, and of course add some electronics to it and have a compact full frame camera ?

digital compact full frame does exist. Check out Leica M9 :p

Last time we can have film compact camera with zoom. can't they replace the film size with an equal size sensor, and of course add some electronics to it and have a compact full frame camera ?

when the consumers are willing to pay $3k-5k for a compact camera.
edit: think I should make a correction
when consumers are willing to pay US$7k (Leica M9).... some do already....

Last edited:
there are rangefinders: compact cameras with large sensors. there are probably 2 main difficulties in making compact cameras with large sensors
1: an electronic sensor of equivalent size will not be as small as a frame of 35mm film
2: lenses for larger sensors will not be compact, even more so if you want a zoom lens.

If you make something bigger, people are more willing to pay good price for it.

Alternatively, you can make something sleek and then price it banking on the brand.

Compact smaller sensor cameras are still doing well, and still has long milking potential..

My take is... FF sensor in compact body is not as profitable as putting a APS-C size sensor in a compact body... because FF sensor is harder and more expensive to build and people who want to buy a FF camera didn't want to buy a compact body that is ergonomically not as good as full size DSLR.

Rangefinder is a different toy altogether though.

Compact smaller sensor cameras are still doing well, and still has long milking potential..

Well, what I can think of is basically the "milking potential" too:complain::blah:...hence, no FF sensor on Compacts:(.....( of cos how I wish exists:bsmilie:...!! )

Last edited:
Its only a matter of affordability.

My take is... FF sensor in compact body is not as profitable as putting a APS-C size sensor in a compact body... because FF sensor is harder and more expensive to build and people who want to buy a FF camera didn't want to buy a compact body that is ergonomically not as good as full size DSLR.

Rangefinder is a different toy altogether though.

Ergonomics is not about size. It's how you shape the camera that matters.

will you willing to spent 3-4k to buy a full frame compact camera?

btw, Leica M8 does not classified as compact camera, is a full frame inter-changeable lens rangefinder camera.

during the film days, there was a few models 120 film format compact camera, average price is $2000, compare to the average price of a fixed focal length lens 35mm film format compact camera is only $200.

so it is only a matter of price.

Ergonomics is not about size. It's how you shape the camera that matters.

I never say it is about size. I say that full DSLR is more ergonomically designed and better in ergonomic then compact camera. It has nothing to do with just size. Grips, position of the buttons, interface, etc.

I never say it is about size. I say that full DSLR is more ergonomically designed and better in ergonomic then compact camera. It has nothing to do with just size. Grips, position of the buttons, interface, etc.

totally agree..i tried out portrait shoots with my m4/3 camera with ring flash on one hand and camera on the other.. it's really a delcate balancing act, almost dropped my cam on the floor more than once.

will you willing to spent 3-4k to buy a full frame compact camera?

btw, Leica M8 does not classified as compact camera, is a full frame inter-changeable lens rangefinder camera.

Leica M8 is not Full frame, it's a 1.3 crop body, only Leica M9 is full frame. Cheers!

actually i don't need a compact full frame, what i really need is a full frame with better AF & faster frame rates, which is more important in delivering the final photos.

Yield of FF sensor will always be lower than cropped sensor. So a FF compact will be more expensive than the usual target consumer of such cameras. Such a camera may not even be well received by layman consumers, who only want 'everything sharp' and 'everything bright' and of course 'cheap'. A small sensor camera with its high DOF, and cheap sensor is really best placed for the general consumer. FF on compact camera is like "Dui Niu Tan Qin" (ie. playing the harp to the cow)

Largish 'pro' looking FF DSLRs boost egos and can command a better price, so no point to rock the boat.
This is really a very important point for a working pro as well, esp. nowadays when DSLR's are readily affordable. Just like the larger alpha male gorilla thumps his chest loudly, the working photographer sports a large expensive camera to shoo away uncles who will otherwise come over and say "your camera not even better than my one" :D

actually i don't need a compact full frame, what i really need is a full frame with better AF & faster frame rates, which is more important in delivering the final photos.

Sony NEX, 10 fps :) (can't be sure abt the AFing thou..., but the FPS is one of the best out there)