Why can't Ipod can't produce a slot of batteries???

Status
Not open for further replies.

XXX Boy

Jan 11, 2004
GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
This question deeply imprinted on my mind - Why can't Apple produce IPOD that have a slot for end-user to replace the batteries? So difficult to produce a slot meh? Or end of batteries self-life means end of IPOD? :dunno:

Apple does this so that they can make more money charging customers to change their batteries once worn out of course. Want removable batteries? Get the creative zen micro lor.... want style, get the ipod.

Coz it's supposed to be simple to use.

They don't want people to ask "How to change the batteries? How long the batteries will last? Where can i buy the batteries?"

These questions will make the iPod sound less simple.

it uses a special battery which is slim and light, simple reason that they didnt want to allow users to change the batteries is because of the copyright of the product and they didnt want any third party manufacturers to infringe the copyright issues of the product.

the ipod battery is a crucial item in the ipod. leaking this info is as good as losing the entire ipod... its the playback time and the brand they are selling.. and nt forgetting the hd inside.. that is why the ipod is sealed....

hope this helps..

well this is my 2 cents.. ;)

Actually the iPod is not sealed.

Batteries are replaceable thru 3rd party solutions which even provide tools for dismantling the iPod safely without damaging anything.

Actually if one does their homework, they wun even be complaining abt 'unreplaceable batteries' in the iPod ;)

just FYI, the gen 4 ipods use sony lithium rechargable batteries. The ipod can be opened...just that it's pretty difficult to do so without scratching the stainless steel backing or acrylic front. I've seen people use those super slim guitar pics to pry open the ipod :p

XXX Boy said:
This question deeply imprinted on my mind - Why can't Apple produce IPOD that have a slot for end-user to replace the batteries? So difficult to produce a slot meh? Or end of batteries self-life means end of IPOD? :dunno:
You own one in the first place? If no, why get so uptight? If yes, you already know it, so why complain after buying?

Since the 1st Generation, I believe Apple has been using Sony Rechargables in every generation of iPods.

The batteries costs approximately US$50 apiece. Reasonably ok for a battery considering how long it can actually last u. :)

Mine's 2yrs, and still going strong.

jsbn said:
Actually the iPod is not sealed.

Batteries are replaceable thru 3rd party solutions which even provide tools for dismantling the iPod safely without damaging anything.

Actually if one does their homework, they wun even be complaining abt 'unreplaceable batteries' in the iPod ;)

well its not that i didnt do my homework... i dun didnt have hands on experience with ipods tats all.... i can only get one next year.. till then.. its all drooling experiences over the ipod and the creative portable media player.. haha..

glennyong said:
well its not that i didnt do my homework... i dun didnt have hands on experience with ipods tats all.... i can only get one next year.. till then.. its all drooling experiences over the ipod and the creative portable media player.. haha..

Why worry about it then? Worry about the battery when you are about to buy lah. For all you know, next year maybe got what i-capsule, i-box, i-station, i-(insert cool-sounding noun) whatever liao.

espn said:
You own one in the first place? If no, why get so uptight? If yes, you already know it, so why complain after buying?

complain - a typical singaporean action.

ckiang said:
This is your solution :)

Regards
CK

I-Zen :bsmilie:

ahbeng said:
complain - a typical singaporean action.
Or a typical my-leica-is-better-than-your-canon-50-1.4 Singaporean ;)

Does anybody know if I can get third party batteries to lengthen the time for my 3rd gen ipod? The battery life sucks big time. It probably half or less then the 8 hours advertised.

Actually, XXXboy doesn't sound uptight. He seems to be very perturbed by the inability of iPod to allow customers to change batteries. Being an owner of a 3rd Gen iPod, I'm equally miffed by the battery issue. Thousands of owners have complained about the battery not lasting long enough - just do a search on Google to find out for yourself.

The truth is that the battery lasts for only 2-3 hours of playing time, which is much less than claimed. Those of us who've owned an iPod and complained to Apple Centres got the same reply - upgrade the firmware. Ok... been there, done that... still the same issue. It's a cool product, and I like my iPod for what it is. What I (and thousands of others) don't like is the unwillingness of Apple to own up to mis-representation. Not giving the option of changing the battery can't be protecting ignorant customers from asking how to change the battery... especially if they designed the iPod to have interchangeable batteries right from the start (like the Zen). If the customers can't even change a simple battery, one'd expect them to have trouble ripping or downloading MP3 files!

I actually own one of these things, so it's definitely not a case of sour grapes. If I'd the DeLorean to go back in time, I'd spring for the Creative Zen anyday. :think:

Neo said:
Actually, XXXboy doesn't sound uptight. He seems to be very perturbed by the inability of iPod to allow customers to change batteries. Being an owner of a 3rd Gen iPod, I'm equally miffed by the battery issue. Thousands of owners have complained about the battery not lasting long enough - just do a search on Google to find out for yourself.

The truth is that the battery lasts for only 2-3 hours of playing time, which is much less than claimed. Those of us who've owned an iPod and complained to Apple Centres got the same reply - upgrade the firmware. Ok... been there, done that... still the same issue. It's a cool product, and I like my iPod for what it is. What I (and thousands of others) don't like is the unwillingness of Apple to own up to mis-representation. Not giving the option of changing the battery can't be protecting ignorant customers from asking how to change the battery... especially if they designed the iPod to have interchangeable batteries right from the start (like the Zen). If the customers can't even change a simple battery, one'd expect them to have trouble ripping or downloading MP3 files!

I actually own one of these things, so it's definitely not a case of sour grapes. If I'd the DeLorean to go back in time, I'd spring for the Creative Zen anyday. :think:
Apple probably thinks that having a battery compartment :
1. Is so-uncool
2. Compromises on size/thickness
3. With removeable batteries, they can't sell you their $209 battery replacement (yes, battery replacement is S$209 at the Apple Service Centre).

Anyway, for those unhappy with their iPods, click here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.