why buy a Mac ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

song

Feb 23, 2002
homex.coolconnect.com
I recently is looking around for a computer. I am currently quite annoyyed by the growing trend of Activation Technology from microsoft which is used to prevent installation on more than one pc.

Nowadays, there is a lot of homes with more than one computer, be it laptop or desk. So it is unimaginable to keep buying software for your 2nd or 3 PCs when you are the only user at home, or at most , your family members.

This leads me to think about MAC because someone told me that activatio technology has not been used on MAC yet.

Can someone comment on the pros and cons of a MAC other than the above?

song

Originally posted by song
I recently is looking around for a computer. I am currently quite annoyyed by the growing trend of Activation Technology from microsoft which is used to prevent installation on more than one pc.

Nowadays, there is a lot of homes with more than one computer, be it laptop or desk. So it is unimaginable to keep buying software for your 2nd or 3 PCs when you are the only user at home, or at most , your family members.

This leads me to think about MAC because someone told me that activatio technology has not been used on MAC yet.

song
Erm... It's "Mac", capital "M" ;)

Well, Apple trusts their users basically. Thus instead of those activation technology, we basically still get user-agreement papers bundled with the OS bought. Primitive as it may sound but den it juz goes to show Apple's trust to her fellow users. How long this will last, I'm not really sure though.... But I hope the trust can be maintained... :)

Stability is definitely the word on MacOS. My Mac had been turned on since... I'd forgotten, but so far, I only required 3 restarts due to a serious error bringing down the OS (we call it 'Kernel Panic'). Those 3 restarts are like.... almost 1/2 year ago. Stability's the name of the game on Macintoshes even on minimal spec Macs. Try WinXP with a minimal spec machine and see what happens.

User interface friendliness. U can definitely bet it's hell easy to use for ur kids who are juz beginning to explore the IT world. As the word 'easy' is rather subjective, perhaps u can go down to AppleCentre@MI (located at level 5 Funan IT Mall) or AppleCentre@Orchard (located at Wheelock place level 2 beside Sakae Sushi) for a test drive. And talking abt logic on the Macintosh, at least Mac users know that we don't press start to stop. :bsmilie: It's terribly bad for logic development for ur kids.

As for cost wise. U bet it's definitely a far more worthy investment than a regular PC. For the little more initial cost, the entire Mac can last u up to 5 or more years. There are ppl in the Macintosh community with Macs more den 10yrs old and it's still humming away (although they'd upgraded in favour of prettier Mac designs - u dun see regular PC users upgrading for this reason). With a regular PC, the money used to bust on the latest graphics card, upgrading processors once every year or getting the latest soundcard, all these are already offset by the initial cost of a Macintosh. Early morning, abit lazy to count. Go & do ur Maths.

A basic model Macintosh will cost abt $2K. Considering dat u can get a really barethread DIY PC for $1.2K excluding future upgrade costs within the next 5yrs, eventually the Mac still wins out in the long-term. Furthermore, Macs are really future-proof despite their high price.

I swear I can write a 10K word thesis on the benefits of a Mac over a regular PC by further elaborating on my points. But enuff for now. I shall continue another day. I'll be back..... :cool:

I 2nd that

Stability is the name of the game.

No more nonsensical windows crap after i switched this april to an ibook. It is so much easier to use than windows, makes you feel good using it and so rock stable it puts windows Xp to shame

Plus! Safari is way better than Internet explorer:D

ever considered Linux?

Linux is not just for geeks or techies. There are versions of Linux that are pretty suitable for home use, and almost as simple to install as Windows.

Linux is free and open-source (to a certain extent). You don't have to worry about activation or registration for the operating system (unless you want technical support). Same goes for software for Linux.

Stability is also a plus point for Linux. This is the OS that is used in countless servers worldwide, so that says a lot about its stability.

But if you're only considering a Mac as a replacement... yes go for it! I simply adore Macs too!

Why Mac now? For many these days - Mac OS X, is the key.

Linux? If you want GNU stuffs, just note that you can basically run them all on Mac OS X, most binaries are precompiled, if not, you can do it yourself... yes full development environment comes free with every boxed copy of Mac OS X and the hardware itself.

Yes, it's just a bit more expensive, not too expensive as during the Mac II days (early 90s).

Now, pls. don't come say Wintel is better and cheaper just because you can get warez easily and cheaply!

For more info, see

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

http://www.apple.com/swicth/

or the local MUGS at:

http://www.macuser.org.sg/

Originally posted by munfai
ever considered Linux?

Linux is not just for geeks or techies. There are versions of Linux that are pretty suitable for home use, and almost as simple to install as Windows.

Linux is free and open-source (to a certain extent). You don't have to worry about activation or registration for the operating system (unless you want technical support). Same goes for software for Linux.

Stability is also a plus point for Linux. This is the OS that is used in countless servers worldwide, so that says a lot about its stability.

But if you're only considering a Mac as a replacement... yes go for it! I simply adore Macs too!
Hmm... Got follow up on the SCO suit anyone? Dun have time for it.... It's crazy, licensing Linux.... :what:

Actually Linux quite good oso, but den for home use it might have quite some way to go before it can pose a serious challenge to Microsoft or Apple. But the name of the game's dat Linux is absolutely free, FOC, no strings attached (for now). Dat's the main draw. *slurp*

Macintosh will rule the world one day... ;) with your support, of course.

Like what jsbn mentioned, "My Mac had been turned on since... I'd forgotten" I don't turn off my Mac portable too, in fact, Mac users don't really turn their Mac off, only put them to sleep, wake them up when needed them.

The truth is, I don't think there is any cons for owing a Mac, but if you are a Win user, all I can say is, "Good luck"

song

Originally posted by FLiNcHY
I 2nd that

Stability is the name of the game.

No more nonsensical windows crap after i switched this april to an ibook. It is so much easier to use than windows, makes you feel good using it and so rock stable it puts windows Xp to shame

Plus! Safari is way better than Internet explorer:D

Hi, i am really encouraged by the warmth of you Mac user in assisting me to switch. I also thinking of the Ibook. Can you share what is your configuration? how much you spend and whether you have gotten the extras like Apple Extended Care?

Is a G3 800mhz enough if i need to use Office, internet, photo editing for my digi cam and video editing for my camcorder?

And how did Mac user go by without PCI expansion cards? Don't you have add-ons like TV cards , editing cards and etc??

song

Hi, i am really encouraged by the warmth of you Mac user in assisting me to switch. I also thinking of the Ibook. Can you share what is your configuration? how much you spend and whether you have gotten the extras like Apple Extended Care?

Is a G3 800mhz enough if i need to use Office, internet, photo editing for my digi cam and video editing for my camcorder?

And how did Mac user go by without PCI expansion cards? Don't you have add-ons like TV cards , editing cards and etc??

song

For normal use, 800MHz G3 is enough for what you stated, but seriously, I think you are safer getting a G4/G5 machines for the long run.

If you want PCI expansion, sure just get a desktop G4/G5 box.

Editing card? You don't need one, just plug in via the Firewire port and edit your way in the free iMovie, or pay for Final Cut Express or Final Cut Pro.

it is just a matter of choice and preference,

dun see any real difference between a Mac and a PC except macs are more expensive.

about macs upgrading and lasting longer :
this is not true too, it depends on what you do. you can still do c programming and using an old 486 computer....... and if you only do c programming I think that computer will last you another 5-10 years.

counter example : I was using a year 2000 tibook g4-400 with 768mb of RAM, and it craws when running photoshop.. y ? because I deal with quite large files...

if the files you're dealing with keeps getting larger due to complexity/increase in quality etc etc... you'll have to upgrade, no matter if you're using a MAC or a PC.

so see, it depends on what you use it for.

except 1 thing, the LCD parts mac uses are of highter quality and they display photos much better than most wintel laptops.

I'm a mac user :)

cheers

i personally think that there's no win-win situation anywhere. there's nothing a PC can't do that a Mac can and vice-versa. the choice of the OS if yours and that of course leads to the hardware purchase.

if you're very cost-conscious, then i say stick to Windows boxes. if you want to go for reliability and style, stretch your budget a bit and get an entry level mac like an iBook or eMac to see if you're really comfortable with it. there's always no harm trying.

and when you think you're ready to make the jump, sell off the iBook or eMac and go for the PowerBook or Power Mac. resale prices for Macs tend to command a higher value over Windows boxes. loss is minimal given the experience had.

btw, i'm a Mac user too... but forced by circumstances, i still have a Windows box next to my Mac.

Originally posted by rueyloon
counter example : I was using a year 2000 tibook g4-400 with 768mb of RAM, and it craws when running photoshop.. y ? because I deal with quite large files...

It crawls? You need a better HDD, the original 10GB HDD that comes with the Y2K PB G4 is slow and with like 512k cache.

Swapped it with a new say 30G or 40G HDD (all now with at least 2MB cache), you will see some difference straight away, the same goes to Wintel platform.

If you deal a lot with huge files in Photoshop, it's advisable you have say an external drive for swapping, you will see the diff.

Dealing with files over hundred of MB is not fun but very very possible on Mac. Note, if your file is 30MB, PS might use more than 300MB of memory for it depending on task perform.

On my 1GB PB G4, I normal see more than 1 swap files in my /var/vm after a Photoshop session, my records was like 10 (there's always one swapfile -swapfile0 there no matter how much RAM you have on your box)

A tip: for best performance, do try to reboot, when you have more than 1 Mach swap files in your /var/vm. If you constantly have more than 1 file there, you should try to upgrade your RAM.

Originally posted by oeyvind
It crawls? You need a better HDD, the original 10GB HDD that comes with the Y2K PB G4 is slow and with like 512k cache.

upgraded it to a 20gig 5400 RPM disk... still almost no diffference in performance.

If you deal a lot with huge files in Photoshop, it's advisable you have say an external drive for swapping, you will see the diff.

Photoshop session, my records was like 10 (there's always one swapfile -swapfile0 there no matter how much RAM you have on your box)
[/B]

just checked mine, there is 10 swapfiles there. heheh I've already maxed out the ram, running at 1gig, 867mhz.

A tip: for best performance, do try to reboot, when you have more than 1 Mach swap files in your /var/vm. If you constantly have more than 1 file there, you should try to upgrade your RAM. [/B]

ya lorr, like this does not sound like there is any "advantage" over wintel, before I switched I tot it would be a whole world of difference, it is more like changing 1 set of problems for another set. Problems here isn't "real" problems as since win2k windows platform is pretty stable, problems here more = quirks.

anyway, how often does the fan run on your 1 gig PB ? my fan seens to be on almost 80% of the time.

cheers :)

song
It's more den enuff brudder. G3 800MHz will get u happily chugging by. I'm still surviving on my G3 500MHz with 1GB of RAM. Din spend much on my Mac these dayz, but to compensate for the slower processor, I juz have to up my RAM to the max. RAM is pretty cheap nowadays anyway. :)

As for the lack of PCI expansion cards, let's juz say dat I personally dun see the need for 5.1 surround sound for... MP3s (a little silly), TV Tuners? Neh, I've got a dedicated TV juz smack beside my Mac, DVDs? DVD Player right up there by my side. Editing cards? Perhaps u mean Firewire cards. Firewire's already built-in on ALL MODELS of the Mac (high-end & low-end) and basically digital video cams are using iLink or IEEE1394 for video transfers, no worries abt it.

USB2.0? Matter of personal preference, but I still prefer Firewire or even Firewire800 for external peripherials requiring high-speed data I/O and USB1.1 for digital cameras and devices like keyboard, mouse etc.

Bluetooth? No sweat. 1 Bluetooth external adapter plug into USB port will do the trick, the software is already integrated into the OS. ;)

Type Chinese characters? Glad to say that current (and all versions) of MacOS supports foreign languages other den English. I've got my MP3 ID3 tags in Japanese, Chinese and English!

In other words, all that u need (except Microsoft Office, which must be made as a seperate purchase) is in a nutshell. ;)

I do use Wintel, in fact typing on one now.

Try do the same thing on a P4 wintel laptop with the same amount of RAM, I don't even want to go there.... u will see the HDD swap like mad.

I do use external HDD for swap when I really need to.

No, my fan does not turn not usually unless I play game. The GPU does generate lotsa heat.

Not gonna counter argue anymore as I know it's not gonna end, anyway Use whatever you need to do your job and pay the bill.

P.S. I pointed out the swap file because that's how Mach handles VM, in individual swap file of about 80MB size, whereas Windoze does it in a single non-contiguous VM file.

Originally posted by rueyloon
upgraded it to a 20gig 5400 RPM disk... still almost no diffference in performance.
Not sure for laptops, but I believe 7200rpm HDDs will improve the performance.

Dat's of cos, u dun really mind the heat! :eek:

Originally posted by munfai
ever considered Linux?

Yeah man! I would like to add that MacOS X is based on BSD Unix and that's why it is so stable. :thumbsup: You can't go wrong getting a Mac.:cheers:

Originally posted by KingKongChar
Yeah man! I would like to add that MacOS X is based on BSD Unix and that's why it is so stable. :thumbsup: You can't go wrong getting a Mac.:cheers:
Not to mention - Secure.... ;)

song

The best advice I can give you is actually to get a hands-on with the machines you're interested in and then make an informed decision. Both platforms come with their own quirks and ways of getting things done and it is difficult to determine objectively that one is superior over another.

The Me@n group (a bunch of friendly Mac users) hold a meetup at this office in Shenton way every last Saturday of the month. There is a PC/Mac setup there that you can explore inter-platform issues and almost everyone is armed with a Powerbook or iBook. There's also a wireless network. If you're interested, I can hook you up with the guys. Just drop me a PM or email.

Status
Not open for further replies.