why bother with battery grip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballwackers

Apr 19, 2007
Upper Bukit Timah
Ok, if you are a professional and/or use your camera constantly for xx hours at a time, i can see why you would want a battery grip. But why do amatuers / weekend hobbiests bother with it? My battery on the 30D lasts weeks at a time (yet I have 2). I had a 350D and the battery was not as strong but still good for a weekend for this hobbiest.

Thoughts?

it really depends on individuals, some want to look nice, some think the cameras are too small in their hands, some shoot a lot of vertical shots, you think you don't need does not mean other amatuers / weekend hobbyist don't need, whatever lar..

Ok, if you are a professional and/or use your camera constantly for xx hours at a time, i can see why you would want a battery grip. But why do amatuers / weekend hobbiests bother with it? My battery on the 30D lasts weeks at a time (yet I have 2). I had a 350D and the battery was not as strong but still good for a weekend for this hobbiest.

Thoughts?

If you shoot 50 shots a weekend, your battery will probably last 2 months?

If you shoot in the portrait orientation alot, the grip is very handy.

Simple, Like it, get it. Why nikon? Why canon? Why magnesium alloy? why weatherproof? Why need f2.8? Why shoot? Why Why why?

ya...
the reason for using a battery grip is not only to provide more power for long shooting hours.

Sometimes when one hand is too big, your little pinky finger will feel very left out cos it never get to touch that smooth and streamline body of the camera hence in order to pamper it, buy a batt grip :bsmilie:

some add it so their camera can look bigger and more "pro" ;p

It is great to have.
Especially on a good camera body like EOS1. In the modern digital equivalent I think they build it right in - i.e. you cannot remove the battery grip.
If you shoot vertical shots, it is good handling. Try to appreciate.

Thoughts?

you take a lot of vertical shots? on a tripod?

i wish i could have a battery grip on my k100d

it can be empty or what, i just need the ease of not having to do minor contortions with my hand when i'm looking through the viewfinder at a low vantage point and trying to trigger the release

on the other hand, maybe i can try using a remote, hrm

No problems with using a batt grip if the grip is properly designed (mimics controls on the body) and reliable (my F100 grip "looses" contact with the body intermittently). Biggest problem is you need a bigger bag to allow you to store your big camera.

Thoughts?

I like battery grip but can't afford one.

So I made one out of wood and painted it matt black and super-glued it on my camera. :bsmilie:

Batt grips are guud for preventing scratches on the bottom plate of cam. Gaffer doesn't look quite as sexy! :bsmilie:

i have big hands so i need wider grip.... but i still use one battery pack at a time.... :cheergal:

Please see above post for the solution. :bsmilie:

can trigger shutter or not

or you have some lever thingies that allow you to press some wooden button which will then press the real button :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

the battery grip really comes in useful when you shoot portraits or lots of pictures in portrait orientation, the best part is, when you want to travel light, you can always take it off...

i have big hands so i need wider grip....

For those with big hands, you need this type of battery grip: :bsmilie:

400D.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.