Why bigger cams aren't always better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Apr 25, 2002
singapore
www.larryloh.com
i've seen a lot of posts about people "paiseh" and shy cos they only got a small P&S cam or digicam, as compared to some of the "big big" SLRs that some other members tout around. here's a few inspiring examples of famous photographers who can demonstrate why bigger isn't always better.....

Terry Richardson
Terry is one of the world's most popular (and infamous) fashion photographers. he's shot for celebs like Sharon Stone, the Spice Girls, for titles like French Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, The Face, and *gasp* the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue (every male's wet dream) and for brands like Tommy Hilfiger, Armani Exchange, Sisley and Gucci. and what does he use? simple point-and-shoot cameras!!! no big Hassy, no lighting design, no planning. read about him here...
http://www.newyorkmetro.com/shopping/articles/fallfashion/richardson1.htm
http://www.apogeephoto.com/jan2002/pmag_12002.shtml

David Bradford
he's a New York City taxi driver, who shoots just one roll of black and white film a day during work. he's done photo assignments for Life, The New Yorker, New York Newsday and other publications. editors for Germany’s Köneman publishing house happened to ride in Bradford’s cab and were so impressed with his images that they offered a book assignment, “Drive-By Shootings”. what does david use? a el cheapo Yashica T4.
http://www.takegreatpictures.com/articles/default.asp?aid=111

David Burnett
this is a multiple award-winning photographer, who's worked with titles such as Time mag, Life and the French photo agency Gamma. he's won awards such as 'Magazine Photographer of the Year' from the Pictures of the Year Competition, the 'World Press Photo of the Year', and the Robert Capa Award from the Overseas Press Club. his prize-winning photo of Democratic presidential nominee Al Gore hangs in the Corcoran Museum of Art in Washington, and what did he shoot it with? a US$20 plastic Holga.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/essays/vanRiper/010706.htm
http://www.davidburnett.com/

so my fellow clubsnappers, despite what some may tell you, size (or cost of equipment) doesn't matter. it's The Eye that counts - the eye for details, colours and composition.

as many photographers like to say... cameras don't make pictures, people do. :D

Ya! I am going to bring my Canon S10 2.1 megapixels DC on the next shoot :p

wow.. im impressed! im sure many will be very encouraged by that.... the next SEED outing shld be encouraging. hee ;)

well, to emulate david bradford (not that i'm dropping my day job to join Citicab), i've stopped lugging around my SLR + lenses and started carrying a P&S around.... my back is thankful for it too... :D

im using a40 .. which is primarily a pns camera.. hopefully soon i'll be able to own my own slr... anyone has any idea...how much an average dslr will cost?

Originally posted by Pokka
im using a40 .. which is primarily a pns camera.. hopefully soon i'll be able to own my own slr... anyone has any idea...how much an average dslr will cost?

A typical dslr will cost about $2000+(2nd hand D30) to ~$3600 (D60, D100 or the S2 Pro). That is the body only. You have to buy lenses also. ;)

Pokka!!! haven't you been reading?!? forget the DSLR and go get a Holga!!! hahahah just kidding.

anyway to answer your question, there's no "average" D-SLR. many models for different needs, like the Oly E-10/20, which ranges around $1.6K upwards, mid-range ones like D30/60 and D100 for $3k onwards, and the super hi-end ones like D1x, 1D and the soon-to-be launched Kodak DCS14-n. so it's back to the age-old questions - what's the budget, what you using it for and what you shooting.

hehe...thanks for ur info..i've no intention of getting a dslr anytime soon... just got my a40 not long ago. i think i better train up my basics soon...then climb up the equipment ladder. ;)

by the way, it seems u guys have both slr and digicams. can i ask u all a qs about digicam...

Do you guys prefer to on the LCD display ..and get ur image and shoot..or do u guys prefer to use the viewfinder? cos i've discovered, if u use the viewfinder, there's an area..or rather..a border around the picture that u cant see on ur viewfinder..but it will appear on ur lcd screen. thus u have to crop tat border away.
:dunno:

Haha..browsing the Terry Richardson website,

I want my photos to be fresh and urgent. A good photograph should be a call to arms. It should say, '****ing now. The time is ripe. Come on.' "

:devil:

Originally posted by cheechee
Haha..browsing the Terry Richardson website,

I want my photos to be fresh and urgent. A good photograph should be a call to arms. It should say, '****ing now. The time is ripe. Come on.' "

:devil:
yeah that's terry richardson for you... very controversial one. who else would dare to wave a P&S cam in front of all the supermodels? :D

Originally posted by Larry
yeah that's terry richardson for you... very controversial one. who else would dare to wave a P&S cam in front of all the supermodels? :D

Hehe.. and what a lucky guy he is......

Quote:
He strongly believes that if you're lucky enough to have a babe like Frankie Rayder walking into the sunset in kinky boots and a black Ursula Andress bikini in front of you, surely you're going to encourage her to pull her swimsuit down a little.

Originally posted by Larry
so my fellow clubsnappers, despite what some may tell you, size (or cost of equipment) doesn't matter. it's The Eye that counts - the eye for details, colours and composition.
Oh, I believe equipment matters. If you are going to do more than just point-and-shoot, a compact camera can be harder to use than an SLR.

Can you control the DOF? Can you freeze action? Can you control exposure? Not always.

And compact camera does not mean poorer quality. I'll definitely prefer a Yashica T5 over a 28-80/3.5-5.6 zoom any time. :D

Jed strolls in and mumbles something about the Emperor's new clothes...

Status
Not open for further replies.