Why becoming professional photographer so difficult???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Potter

Jun 30, 2005
Hogwarts
Other job not that difficult to enter, eg, I grad from a uni, got cert, can work in a company liao. But for photographer, need to have good porfolio. Cannot just grad from a school, then write resume, then become photographer.

why???

You ... need ... a ... life ...

this is all a 'procedure' fr anything related to visual arts... if u take a look at graphic designers, web designers, illustrators, animators n interior designers n such, they all need portfolios to get a job. a degree actually means that they are in that level, but without portfolio, they cant prove that they are able to do wat the client wants, or wat the company would expect frm someone with that degree.

detrop said:
this is all a 'procedure' fr anything related to visual arts... if u take a look at graphic designers, web designers, illustrators, animators n interior designers n such, they all need portfolios to get a job. a degree actually means that they are in that level, but without portfolio, they cant prove that they are able to do wat the client wants, or wat the company would expect frm someone with that degree.

For web designers, I know people who freshly graduated from poly and get employed liao though they no portfolio at all.

huh? how can you graduate from a design school/course and NOT have any portfolio to show?

Becoming a professional photographer difficult??? :think:
Actually, becoming anything is difficult la... :bsmilie:

Hmm ... actually not difficult ... which level you wants to become is difficult ... :bsmilie:

Well, as long as I know all the graduate for art or design they DID some stuffs at school so at the time they graduate they MUST have portfolio already. That's how the get the job.

If you dont have any portfolio you wont graduate lah... You must have something to be marked rite? Being art student myself, eventhough history class we still need to make a project based on that bah...

no portfolio? that may be true.. i know of a poly-mate of mine who was asked to work after graduation. y? cos during industrial attachment, he was attached to the company that he is signed with, n boy did he do a good job. in our graduation show, he displayed some of his works w/o even worrying how to get a job. note that he does have a very good portfolio shown during the graduation show.

you're asking why you can't become a photographer without a portfolio?
maybe it has something to do with the fact that photographers take pictures and without pictures to show you can't call yourself a photographer?
common sense

Its not difficult. Just open a shop/studio and wait for ppl to come. Of course its difficult if you have nothing to show them.

Harry Potter said:
Other job not that difficult to enter, eg, I grad from a uni, got cert, can work in a company liao. But for photographer, need to have good porfolio. Cannot just grad from a school, then write resume, then become photographer.

why???

erm ... in reality, every job has its challenges. you seem to make things sound very simple for uni grads :rolleyes:

Nothing is easy, and it's terribly competitive industry as well. But without trying, you never know. :)

actually the answer is obvious

if you want to have some pictures taken...be it for your family portrait, company dinner n dance, your wedding, or you need pictures for your advertising campaign...

would u hire someone who claim to have a degree/diploma in photography

or someone who can show you what he can do/have done?

Harry Potter said:

why???

If i may quote from a friend who poses this question with immense pleasure everytime:

"Which galaxy you from?"

give him a break la.. not everyone understands the photography industry..

not even the so-called 'pros' who have been around for some time.. thats why some of them drop out after a few years, close studios..

and some of us who can't seem to 'rise up' even after a few years .. which i think i belong to..

The piece of 'paper' is not everything.

For designers and photographers...its all about skills, experience and the interests...there are lots of things in which you can't simply get from memorising...or by 'drinking the ash after you burn your book'... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.