Why are Wide angle lens so exp?

Hi all,

Why are wide angle lens so Exp?

(e.g. http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem_new.php?pid=98-265c3544ef)
AF 14mm f/2.8D ED ~ $3600

compare to
(e.g. http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem_new.php?pid=103-b172a2902b)
AF 28mm f/2.8D ~$500

Is it because the lens are harder to manufacture?

I am a newbie, so please dont be angry if my question is noobish.
yes,

so if you don't want to spend so much money, there are always third party options, where the cost is more affordable.

i'm not familiar about the nikon lens layout , but a wide angle around 14mm would definitely cost a hell load more if it's meant for FX format.

Because it's difficult to make glass with large curvature and with lots of optical correction for distortion.

Hmm, they're harder to make then normal lenses. The 17-40 f4L is quite affordable and sharp lens tho, u might wanna consider it unless ur settling for a prime ;) my 2cents

Hi, Wide angle lenses have big filter size, 82mm, heavy weight, bulging stomach which add
to cost besides other factors.

And also they tend to have more aberrations, so the design is more complex than other lenses with "normal" focal lengths.

Thanks all for the knowledge. It has been fruitful.

Appreciated it

I would be dropping by hong kong to get that 14mm lens. So I guess I would be saving some cash there

Hi, Wide angle lenses have big filter size, 82mm, heavy weight, bulging stomach which add
to cost besides other factors.

Bulging lens, will I be able to still fit in a filter? Cause I am a very careless person.

Would love to take landscape pics

Haha yeah read about this some time back...amazing right. Wonder if Nikon will go back to designing such extreme lenses :p

*sigh* i forgot I am using a dx format body, it will be a waste for me to buy the 14mm.

*sigh* i forgot I am using a dx format body, it will be a waste for me to buy the 14mm.

OMG :eek:

Why you thinking about 14mm when on DX?

Just get a 10-20 or 10-24 or 11-16 and be done la.

Drools... thanks for sharing! I didn't know Nikon used to make such a "holy grail" until I read the article, it's beautiful~

Yes... 13mm FF and yet, very little distortion....

Holy Grail indeed... :eek::bigeyes:

Wow... Like alien eyes... No way a filter can fit. Then how to keep such things in a bag?

For this lens, people will be willing to custom order pelican cases with metal sidings just for this one lens alone.

Even got money also cannot buy nowadays.

For this lens, people will be willing to custom order pelican cases with metal sidings just for this one lens alone.

Even got money also cannot buy nowadays.

Now we know that money cannot buy everything lol ;)

@bkkoo78
Unless you're thinking of switching to FX someday (to future proof), or else you don't really need the 14mm.

Tele lens is even more expensive