why are videographers charging so low?

bowwow and xaurora >>> Yupz. I have worked for $20/hr once. I took it as an experience. I am no experienced or professional videographer.

How it went (my first one) :-
- $20/hr for 10 hours.
- Brought along my crane, camera and its related equipments.
- Own transport.
- Earned $200. After deducting the transport, I got $113 in my pocket.

Positives :-
- My first ever wedding shoot. It was fun. Tired. No joke.
- Irregardless what kind of wedding or culture, those seasoned and professional videographers, I do not know how you guys could maintain all the creativity, energy and artworks in producing a good video for the bride and groom to cherish. RESPECT !!!
- Learn a bit of videography here and there.
- Managed to break my shyness a little bit.

Negatives :-
- Felt that it was not worth the money, time and effort if I were to be paid $20/hr.

After that first one, it led to another working opportunity. This time, I was paid even lesser. $150 for 10 hours. Since I want to learn about Same Day Edit, I just swallowed. I want to see for myself how Same Day Edit was done. Same thing. Brought my crane and equipments, own transport. This time around I earn a little more which is $127 after deducting transport fees.

So I highlighted my concerns about the payment. I got mixed responses. Since then, I got no calls. I ever got a pm requesting for 2nd operator, I would state the rates mentioned in this thread, which is $80/hr. No reply. Honestly, up till today, I have yet to meet a videographer who is being paid $80/hr. So far, I have met someone who is being paid $50/hr just to shoot with own equipments.

As one thing led to another, I have met people who said that I should not have been paid since I want to learn. I have also met people who gave me encouragements.

I concur with hamanoshun and engr. With respect to skills, payments, services, quality and experiences. I have got to know where I stand. With these experiences and feedbacks that I got from the people that I worked with, I know where I am in terms of equipment handling, shooting, commitment, etc.

xaurora>>> I have met someone who charges $700 for wedding highlights and actual event coverage for 12 hours but it is a malay wedding. One man show.

bowwow and xaurora >>> Yupz. I have worked for $20/hr once. I took it as an experience. I am no experienced or professional videographer.

- $20/hr for 10 hours.
- Own transport.

- Irregardless what kind of wedding or culture, those seasoned and professional videographers, I do not know how you guys could maintain all the creativity, energy and artworks in producing a good video for the bride and groom to cherish. RESPECT !!!

- Felt that it was not worth the money, time and effort if I were to be paid $20/hr.

After that first one, it led to another working opportunity. This time, I was paid even lesser. $150 for 10 hours. Since I want to learn about Same Day Edit, I just swallowed. I want to see for myself how Same Day Edit was done. Same thing. Brought my crane and equipments, own transport. This time around I earn a little more which is $127 after deducting transport fees.

So I highlighted my concerns about the payment. I got mixed responses. Since then, I got no calls. I ever got a pm requesting for 2nd operator, I would state the rates mentioned in this thread, which is $80/hr. No reply. Honestly, up till today, I have yet to meet a videographer who is being paid $80/hr. So far, I have met someone who is being paid $50/hr just to shoot with own equipments.

As one thing led to another, I have met people who said that I should not have been paid since I want to learn. I have also met people who gave me encouragements.

I concur with hamanoshun and engr. With respect to skills, payments, services, quality and experiences. I have got to know where I stand. With these experiences and feedbacks that I got from the people that I worked with, I know where I am in terms of equipment handling, shooting, commitment, etc.

xaurora>>> I have met someone who charges $700 for wedding highlights and actual event coverage for 12 hours but it is a malay wedding. One man show.

I read your blog :) it's great that you shared what you learn. At the very least, I can tell you are serious about it.

The so-called "videographer" who is charging $1200 for AD videography AND AD photography (yes 2 for the price of 1) uses amateur photographers and they are not even registered. if anything happens... good luck to $50k wedding dinner couples. tsk tsk.

xaurora>>> Thanks Bro for your reply. Yes, I am serious about videography but not so serious until I want to open up a production house. :) It is more of a personal stuff. I will be attending a 3 month film-making course in January. Hopefully, it will add more meaning into my videos. Of course, I would not be learning as much and as fast without comments from fellow forumers who have seen my videos.

Seriously, I have yet to meet a photographer who is paid $80/hr. So far, I have met one who is paid $60/hr on a regular basis. For videographer, I have met the highest paid is $45/hr.

Currently, my opinion is "Whatever Rocks Your Boat". As much as we want to get more out of our skills, the more savings the customers want to save on the pricings.

If you want that kind of quality, you got to pay. If you are not willing to pay, sorry, you got to source for another one.

Since you mentioned, I believe so. Hahahahha. Come to think of it. You are right! :)

Slowly, I believe I will meet them in the future.

there is a market out there. it's just finding it and understanding what it wants and how you can service it.

since u're a 'baller, u heard of residentevilchef?

bowwow>>> Yupz. Mr Dez. Nice chap. Very nice guy. I got few pointers from him when I got my equipments.

bowwow>>> WOW! Since you mentioned it, I just remembered, couple of months back he did get a project worth thousands of dollars. He posted in FB. I know this company going by the name TILT. They cover local paintball tournaments. The boss drove LEXUS. Only this year, they got listed under SME Top 500 or Top 100. Came out in the news. In my opinion, these are the people who are willing to "pay their own price" in order to be where they are today. You can feel their sacrifices, hardwork and conviction.

Man, I got expand my circle. I would want to continue this learning journey and make it as part of my life. Along the way, earn couple of bucks. To fund my learning journey and projects.

As of now, my opinion is still the same. Know Your Worth. Don't short-changed yourself.

Thanks Bro. You did opened me up and reminded me of couple photographers that I have met. Mr Dez, I have talked to him personally and even shaked his hands.

I noticed a common trend here. Young and amateur videographers/film enthusiasts charging super low or even for free just to get some portfolio. There's nothing wrong doing it for once but if they keep continuing this trend, people will start treating us like dirt and eventually asks all videographers for free services.

Side note. Everyone is following the same soft wedding look. Where is the creativity? Are they in just for the money?

xaurora>>> Thanks Bro for your reply. Yes, I am serious about videography but not so serious until I want to open up a production house. :) It is more of a personal stuff. I will be attending a 3 month film-making course in January. Hopefully, it will add more meaning into my videos. Of course, I would not be learning as much and as fast without comments from fellow forumers who have seen my videos.

Seriously, I have yet to meet a photographer who is paid $80/hr. So far, I have met one who is paid $60/hr on a regular basis. For videographer, I have met the highest paid is $45/hr.

Currently, my opinion is "Whatever Rocks Your Boat". As much as we want to get more out of our skills, the more savings the customers want to save on the pricings.

If you want that kind of quality, you got to pay. If you are not willing to pay, sorry, you got to source for another one.

Brother I donno who you had been hanging out with but $80 per hour is very low rate for newbie professionals. You continue like this you are going to switch career soon.

Photo and video same situation. For every pro that wants to earn a bowl of porridge from the client, there are 10 amatuers want to treat the client lobsters and still lick his toes. Very soon that ratio will be 1:20, then 1:50, and soon, 1:100. They will die but another will take its place immediately because Nikon and Sony and Canon are producing wannabes at an alarming rate and making money out of them. The difference you can make is good repute, reliability, proffessional business ethics and a high price to match.

You are entering the profession at a very bad time, but still can do.

JasonB>>> I was reading through this thread somebody popped up "$80/hr". I will presume $80/hr is a benchmark. I believe this is only for shooting rates. Yet to include editing, deliveries, etc.

At the end of the day, photographers and videographers should not short-change themselves. Giving discounts or freebies, that's a business entity decision or strategy.

For every pro that wants to earn a bowl of porridge from the client, there are 10 amatuers want to treat the client lobsters and still lick his toes. Very soon that ratio will be 1:20, then 1:50, and soon, 1:100. They will die but another will take its place immediately because Nikon and Sony and Canon are producing wannabes at an alarming rate and making money out of them.
- I just hope that I won't be the "wannabes".

The difference you can make is good repute, reliability, proffessional business ethics and a high price to match.
- I like this part very much. :)

I'll add a quick quote.

If you need the product, you'll have the money to pay for it.
If your client respects you and your art, money will not be an issue.

No worries laa. There are many kind of people with all kind of budget. Not all people can afford. Some can really afford to pay thousands of dollars. I cater for both. What important is your final or end product. I've been in this business for more than 25yrs be it in Malay, Chinese, Indian etcs. Done so many wedding shoot, theater shoot, TVC, films, birthday party, company DND... etcs. Been doing so many bridal expo. For me simple. You pay peanuts, you get monkey. So no worries laaa.. this kind of people that offer cheap prices how many can they do per month? There are so many bridal every month. One thing you guys must worry is that business from across the border is entering Singapore market. They offer much more cheaper price then us with better quality products. I've seen it in the Bridal Expo.

Quote: "iF YoU Don'T LiKe iT CHANGE. iF iT Don'T CHANGE, PerHaps YoU SHouLD CHANGE THe WaY YoU THINK.

moderator note:

no posting on behalf, no advertising here.

Last edited:
Dekaron>>> Agree with you on the part "Not all people can afford. Some can really pay thousands of dollars".

- $20/hr for 10 hours.
- Own transport.

No offense, but in reality you lost money if you are running a business. $100 is what an unskilled assistant earns just to carry bags and general help, not what a videographer should be earning. Hobby or not.