why are there orbs in my snaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatanic

Aug 9, 2007
Hi people,

I'm totally a newbie here and have no knowledge of photography or whatsoever. Can anybody help me explain how come there are orbs in my pictures. I'm not talking bout 1 or 2 orbs that most superstitious people would say it's a ghost or spirit or whatever but the orbs appear in my pictures are quite a lot. Usually appear when i snap at nights or in dark areas. I did not touch the lens and i even tried cleaning my lens before I snap again. Btw, I'm using a Casio Exlim EX-Z700 digital camera. All the settings are in auto. What must I do to prevent orbs appearing in my pictures. Or is there something wrong with my skills of photography? Or is there something wrong with my setting? What setting must I change and set? Help anybody?

Thanks.

Might be flare due to directional lighting in your location, e.g. lamppost, etc.

Post up pictures so that we can say for sure? Don't worry, I have always been in funny places, and funny timings too, I'm still here.

I've read somewhere that orbs are actually caused by dust particles reflecting light off the flash and not spirits/ghosts etc... That's why, if you notice, orbs only appear when you use the flash. You can go to a very dusty area and use the flash and there's a higher chance that you'd see orbs in your picture. Otherwise I don't think there's anything you can do about orbs appearing in pics. Just take the picture again and try your luck.

Orbs are not related to spirits/ghosts. They are just dust particles reflected by the light/flash. it usually happened if you take around empty house/room or deserted lane/road.

Yup, scientifically proven that dust particles and lights will create orbs in pictures. Just clean the lens.

7th month.

have you been shooting at getais?

Here are some example bout the orbs I'm talking about. I took it during NDP 07 at One Fullerton. I have many more actually but i deleted them all because it really looks ugly.

example 1 - one bloody stupid big orb coming out of my pictures and some other slightly faded ones

example 2 - orbs slightly faded

So what do i need to do to prevent these orb coming out in my pictures? My techniques, setting or my camera?

I've tried it many times in different places, some even i feel that the places is not so dusty. I've also tried cleaning the lens but usually after cleaning the lens and when i take my shot again there are much more orbs appearing. Seriously I'm starting to hates taking pictures at night using flashes... There is this one time I was snapping at a gig and all of my pictures appear to have orbs in it so I've to deleted it all. Is it possible that lights flaring at my camera to cause it to have orbs? But how come my friends digital camera turn out to be better?

perhaps you should send your cam to the service centre for a check/servicing...it could be due to the dust on and inside the lens itself (you mentioned after cleaning there're more orbs?)

it could either be external light interference or it can be due to dirt

it could either be external light interference or it can be due to dirt

what do you meant by external light interference?

Well I have heard that some cameras are more prone to this problem compared to others though. Apart from cleaning the lens, I don't think you can do much about orbs appearing as you can't really control the amount of dust particles in the air.

Usually I get these on my PnS too. I'm using a Ixus 40, and it's usually some water sprays onto the lens and on top of that plus some stray lights. :think:

Just don't use flash for night shots/fireworks like the pics posted.
Your light from your flash can't even reach that far anyway, so why use it?
Save your batteries.
Like what the others have already said, it's just dust particles reflecting light from your camera's flash or other light sources nearby, like some other people's flashes or street lights.
There's nothing wrong with your camera.
Just need to learn how to use it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.