why are people so hung up on bokeh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tester99

Dec 4, 2008
i don't get it.. does the shape of the bokeh really affect the appeal of the image? like pentagon vs octagon vs circle etc etc.. does it really matter? why are people willing to pay so much for glass that does nice bokeh? at least imo it didn't seem to make much difference, not enough to justify the price difference of lenses.. :dunno:

Haha! I guess most people will tell you that if your current lens line-up's bokeh works for you, then stick with it. No need to follow trend and get the best glass for the bokeh... especially since it doesn't make a difference to you.

But maybe you can try using one of those expensive bokeh machines, and compare the same scene taken with your current lens(es)... maybe then you'll see why some people are willing to pay that much more. Haha!

For some, it's just a collector's item for them... like, hey, I've got so and so lens leh! Yeah!

Some people just like the way bokeh makes the focal point stands out.Who cares anyway.You shoot your own stuffs they shoot their own stuff

Haha! I guess most people will tell you that if your current lens line-up's bokeh works for you, then stick with it. No need to follow trend and get the best glass for the bokeh... especially since it doesn't make a difference to you.

But maybe you can try using one of those expensive bokeh machines, and compare the same scene taken with your current lens(es)... maybe then you'll see why some people are willing to pay that much more. Haha!

For some, it's just a collector's item for them... like, hey, I've got so and so lens leh! Yeah!

i don't really care about "quality of bokeh", by which they mean the shape of the blurred parts. what's more important is the IQ for me. which factor do u guys think is most important in choosing your glass? other than choosing the suitable one of course..

Sometimes, part of the IQ is the quality of bokeh.

sometimes u cant blame it on ppl, cos there are whole lot of different bokeh. like swirl bokeh which make your head spint with it by early czj lens, like creamy bokeh which ppl love to use them on protaits etc etc, each and everyone of them have a way make your imagination go further. hunt for best bokeh for yourself then^^

i don't really care about "quality of bokeh", by which they mean the shape of the blurred parts. what's more important is the IQ for me. which factor do u guys think is most important in choosing your glass? other than choosing the suitable one of course..

i dun really think 'quality of bokeh' simply refers to shape of the blurred parts. if you really notice, an f1.2 gives a smoother blur then lets say an f1.8, and helps to make the subject stand out.

secondly, no offence, but what's important for you stays important for you only. to each his own, and if some has the budget to pay thousands more just to get a smoother bokeh, nothing is wrong with that.

in fact, since u mentioned that IQ is impt for you. lemme ask, would you spend like thousands more to upgrade to a lens with very gd IQ, eventhough you already have a decent lens with decent IQ? its the same scenario as you posted about bokeh above

i don't get it.. does the shape of the bokeh really affect the appeal of the image? like pentagon vs octagon vs circle etc etc.. does it really matter? why are people willing to pay so much for glass that does nice bokeh? at least imo it didn't seem to make much difference, not enough to justify the price difference of lenses.. :dunno:

i make you one heart bokeh lens, only can shoot heart bokeh..

then you will understand hee hee hee

it's only the style of photography..
some ppl like candid
some ppl like landscape....etc...etc...

its only my opinion....
:):):):)

like me...when i first started, i was so amazed by the bokeh...

but after a while, kinda sian liao.. :cool:

i make you one heart bokeh lens, only can shoot heart bokeh..

then you will understand hee hee hee

He-e-ey... Heart-shaped bokeh sounds cool... hahaha! You can take night shots and have out of focused pictures, and there's still something to see!

He-e-ey... Heart-shaped bokeh sounds cool... hahaha! You can take night shots and have out of focused pictures, and there's still something to see!

well, imagine when you have to cover something more sombre

like say a corporate event, and then when you shoot at f/1.2, the ceo of the company has hearts dancing behind him..

i don't think you will ever be asked to do the job again :devil:

Bokeh is juz another effect..... Juz that it cost more to produce such an effect...

Actually photography effects are juz like food

Different people eat different things to satisfy their hunger/cravings

Some people eat bread contented liao, but there are others who needs to eat shark's fin to make them equally happy. In this case, both satisfied their hunger/cravings but at a different price only.... Becoz the process taken to satisfy that hunger/craving is different...

Same goes for photography. Both photographer have different preference(style) to bring out what they want to convey, but the tool(photoshop/filter/lens) used to create these effects(shark's fin/bread) are different and hence price.

At the end of the day the answer u r looking for can be summed up with one word: PREFERENCE
Don't think too much lah, juz carry on shooting.

well, imagine when you have to cover something more sombre

like say a corporate event, and then when you shoot at f/1.2, the ceo of the company has hearts dancing behind him..

i don't think you will ever be asked to do the job again :devil:

Haha! Then don't use that lens for corporate event la... haha! Use for model shoot... or take portraits of your wife/girlfriend. Wa-a-ah... so cool! But then, that lens will be so specific in its use. =P

Haha! Then don't use that lens for corporate event la... haha! Use for model shoot... or take portraits of your wife/girlfriend. Wa-a-ah... so cool! But then, that lens will be so specific in its use. =P

cannot lah, wait unintentionally take a chabor and the wife/gf see the photo, tell u, gonna cost more than heart-shaped-enabled-lens man...:bsmilie::bsmilie:

You could say the same thing about wine or whisky, why pay so much for a vintage wine when an ordinary wine from ntuc will do, why obsess over colour and bouquet, etc?

Maybe it's something wine lovers can appreciate after drinking hundreds of wines? That these are the qualities that not only enhance the wine but are the subtle ones that differentiate the truly excellent wines from the very good?

Bokeh is not just about shapes. If it was so easy don't you think all the manufacturers would just avoid hexagonal blades and this discussion would not take place?

It's about the nature of bokeh and how it makes the viewer feel.

Bokeh that is harsh is jarring. Bokeh that is smooth is calming.

Last edited:
i don't get it.. does the shape of the bokeh really affect the appeal of the image? like pentagon vs octagon vs circle etc etc.. does it really matter?

Aesthetically it seems the circular ones look nicer. Bokeh actually involves the quality of the blurring.

But if u dun mind anything then anything goes.

It certainly doesn impact the way I shoot.

Ryan

Wah lau,put it straight,buy compact camera will do, why spend so much for Dslr cam. & lens.It is depending on personal interest, which suits him the best. One man meal is another man poison.:nono:

answer: beats me. I dunno. I guess the logic is similar to some girls who choose to buy laptop based on colour, rejecting better configuration just because the colour is black vs mediocre model because it is HOT PINK!

I still do not know what creamy bokeh is vs non creamy. I have yet to see comparison side by side of same subject.

I only know mirror tele-lense (some russian made which uses mirrors contraption instead of lots of glass based on cassegrain telescope design) give funky donut shape bokeh. Who like donuts?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryting/3037763534/in/pool-challenge_you

Last edited:

why not? i eat gardenia bread instead of generic house brand bread. so?

Status
Not open for further replies.