Why are my shots noisy even with low ISO?

Shonn

Apr 4, 2011
Singapore
Refer to this Thread

Why are my shots so noisy even with low ISO?

Tokina 11-16 with EOS450D
Manfrotto Tripod
UV Fliter

Shots taken normally from F13-F16 and a few F22s, ISO 200, Shutter speeds 10-30seconds, No Flash.

Shonn said:
Refer to this Thread

Why are my shots so noisy even with low ISO?

Tokina 11-16 with EOS450D
Manfrotto Tripod
UV Fliter

Shots taken normally from F13-F16 and a few F22s, ISO 200, Shutter speeds 10-30seconds, No Flash.

I'm getting that with my tokina as well. Find that the problem isnt as bad when I remove the filter (any that I'm using) as well as use a bigger aperture. (not sure which of the two causes it, but worth a try as well) also using on a canon. :)

I'm getting that with my tokina as well. Find that the problem isnt as bad when I remove the filter (any that I'm using) as well as use a bigger aperture. (not sure which of the two causes it, but worth a try as well) also using on a canon. :)

But I read that if the aperture is above the "sweet spot" of f13-f16, like f22, the photos will not be as sharp.. Right??

Shonn said:
But I read that if the aperture is above the "sweet spot" of f13-f16, like f22, the photos will not be as sharp.. Right??

Where did you read this? :eek:

Btw when I said bigger aperture I meant bigger compared to the f22 you're using now. E.g. F8-16

You may also want to find a way to cover your view finder from preventing light from entering through it..

Last edited:

Correct. I do not believe it's a lens issue.

What I think is happening is sensor heat - you are doing a long exposure, thus the sensor heats up. Don't forget that the 450D is now an "older" generation sensor - newer generations have less heat output. With the bright lights and dark sky in your shots, the metering will also try to expose the bright areas correctly, thus resulting in a push in the dark sections - causing noise.

Rashkae said:
It's called diffraction. He's right.

I'd like to read that article too since I'm still a noob.. Thanks uncle Rashkae! :)

It's not the lens.
I'm using the same lens and i don't have such problems. In fact, this lens is one of the sharpest and cleanest ones i've seen..i really love this lens.
I've done 10s all the way to 4min exposures on it and no such issues..
Most likely is the sensor getting too hot..give it a rest in between shots and see if it's better? Some of your shots don't have that problem i see..

Thanks to all of you. That's actually my 2nd attempt and maybe it's my sensor... I tend to take test shots before long exposures and it's hot and humid and I have no patience haha.

Yes that lens is amazingly sharp! and I never go to F22.. I only reach up to F16 MAX! :D

my friend edited the photo.. with colourefexpro... managed to...

turn this....
5758202507_87513a2d45_b.jpg

into this...
5758982226_4fda750f6a_b.jpg

seems like i have alot to learn..

Last edited:
my friend edited the photo.. with colourefexpro... managed to...

turn this....
into this...

seems like i have alot to learn..

I actually seem to like the original one better. Noise made the shot look more rugged and gives texture.

I actually seem to like the original one better. Noise made the shot look more rugged and gives texture.

yeah~ but you won't want a background wallpaper with noise haha

You should keep it at base ISO and do a 1 minute exposure.

And I can't see your pictures, so I couldn't say for sure, but if you are using ISO200, you should dial it down to base ISO100. Everytime you raise the ISO, the happier the noise in long exposure becomes.

Don't believe, try ISO400, stop down and do 30 seconds. Confirm you see stars everywhere. :bsmilie:

Last edited: